Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Missy & Mysteries - Tell us your thoughts!

So, a couple of mysteries (at least!) after Deep Breath, ones which will presumably stretch across the series as it unfolds. I always find these threads a bit dangerous, because although I'm really only wanting us to speculate and theorise (what in the good old days we used to call 'guess'), there's always the danger that some bright spark will have the answer to hand from www.spoilersfornewdoctorwho.com.

Anyway, with that out of the way, the questions I have are:

Who is Missy & what the flip is going on with all that?

AND

There was quite a lot made in last week's episode, of wondering where the Doctor's 'new' face comes from? Is this just a casual injoke which will never be referred to again (unlikely IMHO) or will there be some significance to the Doctor adopting the face of a Roman guy he saved from Pompeii?

So, Planet Skaro.... it's over to you!!

As for the first question - I hope we never find out, she's getting on my nerves already!

Second question - I read an online interview with Moffo just after Peter's unveiling as the new Doctor which suggested that there would be a tie-in somewhere with both the Fires Of Vulcan and Torchwood: Children Of Earth.

I have to admit I wasn't impressed by her cameo either a shame since Michelle Gomez is a good actress

OK - complete guess work coming up
    Paradise - is a virtual reality world, maybe even the same one that River Song ended up in at the Library. That's why clockwork droid guy is there - he's been downloaded. More dead people are going to end up there over the course of the series, then all jump back out again in the Finale.
    Missy - is a future alternative version of Clara (it was the bit about the Doctor being her boyfriend, and that his appearance had changed which seemed to echo what had been discussed with young Clara earlier in the episode)

None of this is based on any spoiler knowledge, and I actually hope that neither of these frankly Cr@p ideas turn out to be true !

Face thing - probably irrelevant.
    Bazinga !

Watching tonight's, and although I don't know what it can all mean, it seems an awfully big coincidence that the direction for the scene where the Doctor saves Blue at the start was almost the same as that for where Missy saves Esther later on.

I'm sure the 'face thing' was just to give an explanation why the same actor had played two roles*. Didn't Tennant say something to Gwen (Torchwood) about ancestors in Wales (Unquiet Dead)?

Colin Baker and Karen Gillan seem to have gotten away with it....

*Well, three, if you count Torchwood.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Watching tonight's, and although I don't know what it can all mean, it seems an awfully big coincidence that the direction for the scene where the Doctor saves Blue at the start was almost the same as that for where Missy saves Esther later on.
    I definitely think you were supposed to think that, but whether it's connected I couldn't say.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Very unlikely to be connected to Torchwood COE. That was a very tough (and vaguely unpleasant series) which young Who fans should not have been watching.

Something just ocurred to me regarding Missy/Paradise. The soldier who arrives there this week, did so after 'sacrificing' herself for the common good/The Doctor. Although you didn't see what caused Clockwork Man to fall, the Doctor had been trying to persuade him to do the same, hadn't he?

It just seems significant, as you don't see the other soldier who dies arriving there, in fact he ends up in 'the soup'...

I agree with Steve here. With regard to anyone getting to the "promised land" it looks like you have to be self sacrificing to get there...just like River Song, eh Jon?

Melody Pond, River Song, Miss Sea? eh, eh, eh?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I am so going to laugh my bum off if that turns out to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I'm thinking along the same lines with Missy being short for Mississippi which is a River
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

And she did offer Gretchen some desserts when she arrived. Perhaps something from the sweet tray... Hello, Sweetie?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    The problem is , it's not so outrageous as to not be a possibility.

My hope rests on that she would probably call the Doctor her husband, rather than her boyfriend.
    Bazinga !

If we want to vote/poll on this - I'm going for The Master.

I half hope to be proved wrong - but only if it's something better!!!
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Maybe she's just the Doctor's feminine side. ("And the new subconscious could be a woman...")

Quote Originally Posted by Philip J Ludlam View Post
    If we want to vote/poll on this - I'm going for The Master.
    Hmmm, The Master didn't sacrifice himself, and narratively he is still on Gallifrey...

...as far as we know...

In that case it could be literally anyone. Rassilon, Mavic Chen, Binro, or perhaps K-9.

Another possible mystery.... is the Doctor's formula-scribbling significant do we think? I notice we started tonight with a blackboard full of stuff, and of course he'd scrawled something similar all over Vastra's floorboards in Deep Breath. Maybe that's going somewhere...?

I hadn't noticed that.

Do you think perhaps there will be a connection to Robin Hood? A legend that shouldn't be, but is true, just like the Promised Land?

...and why was there no Missy in Robot of Sherwood?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No one was self sacrificing in this weeks episode. Backs up my earlier theory.

A couple more things that have just popped into my head....

Capaldi in the first episode, asking about where he got 'that face' from, and the use of the Troughton/Robin Hood photo in the ship's data banks. Is this all part of some legend/fiction thing from Moffat? He has had a very 'fairy tale' approach since he started. Or they could just be little in-jokes!