Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

whatched the last half hours play today and what a dissapointing end it was typical of England in that having got them selves in a position to save the game they throw it all away in the last couple of overs losing two wickets. It would be great to see Flintoff and Pieterson to put on huge partnership of 150+ runs but you just can't see it happening and we should be 3-0 going into the 4th test..

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    It would be great to see Flintoff and Pieterson to put on huge partnership of 150+ runs but you just can't see it happening and we should be 3-0 going into the 4th test..
    I'm still worried about Flintoff and Pietersen doing exactly that. It would completely destroy my Christmas.

My mate's got tickets for the MCG on Boxing Day. He's going with his Australian girlfriend and family... even though he supports England. That should be fun!
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 17th Dec 2006 at 11:50 PM. Reason: typo

Captain Tancredi Guest

Saw the last two overs today and would have to say that Flintoff and Pietersen responded brilliantly to the situation they were in- firstly Pietersen playing Warne defensively for all six balls, and then the pair of them nicking singles off McGrath. While it's highly optimistic to expect that things can be salvaged at this stage, the Aussies will be annoyed at having to come back on the fifth day to finish things off.

Assuming that they regain the Ashes tonight, it'll be interesting to see whether Australia experiment a bit more with their bowlers in the last couple of games- although the crowds in Melbourne and Sydney will want to see Warne and McGrath in what may be a last Ashes series for both of them, England should provide solid opposition if they want to try out some other combinations.

From what i saw of the highlights last night, Cook and Bell need congratulating for staying in forever and scoring a few runs along the way.

another heavey and humiliating defeat and 3-0 down we have nothing but pride to play for but the Aussie's certainly won't let up and will be wanting to inflict more humiliation as they go for a 5-0 whitewash.. and you certainly would not bet against it..

I wonder how many of the current Aussie team will be around still once the World Cup's over? Warne and McGrath for instance can't have that long to go surely. Would be interesting to see what sort of players are coming through, and whether we'll be up to getting the Ashes back next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    I wonder how many of the current Aussie team will be around still once the World Cup's over? Warne and McGrath for instance can't have that long to go surely. Would be interesting to see what sort of players are coming through, and whether we'll be up to getting the Ashes back next time.
    problem is the Aussies over the last 20 years just seem to keep on the quallity fast bowlers and I can't see things changing much even when Mcrath stands down .Brett Lee will most likely become their main strike bowler but god knows how you replace some one of Waarne's quallity..

Well you don't unless there's a blue moon due, we're lucky to have Flintoff so soon after Botham. The batting's as much a concern for them with only Ponting and Katich (when he plays), maybe Symonds, likely to be around from the current lot in five years time - the leaves have started falling off the tree this series.
    Last edited by Stuart Wallis; 20th Dec 2006 at 2:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    Well you don't unless there's a blue moon due, we're lucky to have Flintoff so soon after Botham. .

and the similarities don't end there just like Botham, struggled for form when he was England captain so is Flintoff..

Vaughan may be back for the one-dayers, so we'll see what that does for Fred, if he takes the captaincy back.

wll I certainly think Freddie's natural game has suffered since he took over the captaincy and I just hope the selectors relieve him of it once the series is over. If Vaughan breaks down again then they should give it to Strauss at least with the pressure off Freddie will then be able to concentrate on getting his form back..

Which makes sense, given that Strauss had captaincy experience beforehand, even if it was only of Middlesex.

I heard on the radio today that Harmison has quit one day internationals.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    I heard on the radio today that Harmison has quit one day internationals.
    not the best of news..

Quite!

That said, Glen McGrath's stepping down after the World Cup. Which is great news for anyone who isn't Ricky Ponting.

159 all out yet another gutless and pathetic performance by England that has seen the game all but over on day 1 with the pitch being predicted to become a lot flatter we are again looking at another huge Aussie 1st innings lead.

More embarrassment with the England teams plan of action to take on the Aussies being found. Their bowling plan for each Aussie player was given to Australian Channel ABC Radio.

Their bowling plans can be found on a link from the page itself.

http://home.skysports.com/ashes/arti...+at+plans+leak

England's dismal Ashes tour of Australia took an embarrassing new twist on the second day of the fourth Test in Melbourne as their carefully-prepared bowling plans fell into the hands of Australia's ABC Radio.

The broadcaster claimed they had been emailed the plans by an unnamed source and proceeded to read them out on air as Matthew Hayden and Andrew Symonds turned the screw during their massive 279-run partnership.

The document was prepared by England's team analyst Mark Garaway as part of a video presentation on each Australian batsman that the tourists study ahead of every Test.

It is then posted on a board in the team's dressing room, from where England claim the document must have been taken.

That version of events has been disputed by the Australian media, though, who insist the plans were 'found' at the MCG before being forwarded to ABC.

Either way, the timing of the leak managed to heap more misery on embarrassment on England and their coach Duncan Fletcher with the plans for both Hayden and Symonds quite patently not working as both men made big centuries.

However, with England subsequently making clear their annoyance at the security breach, the matter looks likely to stay in the headlines over the next few days.

pretty much puts the icing on this whole sorry embarrssing shambles another humiliating defeat inside 3 days and my prediction of a 5-0 whitewash looks a dead certainty..

Pip Madeley Guest

They should just abandon the final test and have a drinking competition.

Least we'd get one back - Andrew Flintoff could drink the Aussies under the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    They should just abandon the final test and have a drinking competition.

Least we'd get one back - Andrew Flintoff could drink the Aussies under the table.

Freddie andd the Barmy Army should do it..

Botham could take the Aussies on in a drinking competition wit both hands tied behind his back!

The start has been delayed by rain - if it can keep going for the best part of 5 days, we might just avoid the whitewash!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    The start has been delayed by rain - if it can keep going for the best part of 5 days, we might just avoid the whitewash!

well not even we can manage to lose if it rains for 5 days..

Oh, I'm sure we could if we tried hard enough...

well 234-4 at the close of day 1 of the 5th test for England is a pretty reasonable start but then we've said that before in this series...f