Default Woman Embroiders Jellied Eels Text Message

A text from Babyshambles singer Pete Doherty has become the inspiration for a Victorian-style cross-stitch sampler.

The text said: "Eels slip down a treat" after Doherty failed to persuade artist Tracey Moberly to eat jellied eels.

The work is part of a series based on every text message sent to Ms Moberly, 42, originally from Gilfach in the Rhymney Valley.

She said one reason she decided to turn text messages into art was to give a "disposable medium" more permanence.

"It's like they [text messages] are such a throwaway medium, but the words can be meaningful and deep," said Ms Moberly, who said she had kept every text message she had been sent since 1998.

Each text takes hundreds of hours to turn into a canvas.

She has been friends with Pete Doherty for some years, and in 2003 he appeared on the Christmas edition of a radio show she presents, where they had the traditional East End delicacy of jellied eels in the studio.

"He [Doherty] was trying to teach me how to eat them, and to me it tasted like cold, wet, dead dog and I couldn't even hold them in my mouth," she said.

She later received the text from him, and is turning it into a sampler because its "slight sexual innuendo" fits the theme of the next instalment of a series of exhibitions called Text-Me-Up-Sex, Drugs & Rock 'n' Roll.

Doherty and some eels, yesterday.
    This is quite the most bizarre news story I have EVER read.

I hope someone never gets drunk and texts her all night, it'd take her years to catch up.

Si.

Wayne Guest

How completely pointless! I'm lost for words!

Once again, this complete idiot is in the news for something other than the wretched, unlistenable tripe that he calls his 'Music'. How pathetic!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It's that old publicity stunt - persaude a woman to stitch a tapestry about your opinions on jellied eels. They always wheel that one out when album sales are flagging.

Si.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    It's that old publicity stunt - persaude a woman to stitch a tapestry about your opinions on jellied eels. They always wheel that one out when album sales are flagging.

Si.
    Dry!

I AM lost for words. I'm with Wayne though, how pointless.

Shouldn't this be on The General Public are Stupid thread?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.