Thread: Prince

Default Prince

Don't think there's a Prince thread on here. What do we think about this most complex of artists?

Si.

The guy's a musical genius. He'll release album after album. And I'll never listen to any of them.

Like Frank Zappa, he inhabits his own universe that is largely independent from any other strand of music. For those on the inside, you'll wait impatiently for what this scatological deity will bestow next, for the rest of us it's a great big 'Huh?'

That's what I think about Prince.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It's pretty much right! It's amazing someone can have the enthusiasm for creating so much music. I'd love to do a Time Team type thing for him but I doubt anyone else would have the willpower to get through it all! There arn't actually as many albums as you'd think - around 30 or something. But a few of them are triple albums!

I've just got "Lovesexy" and annoyingly all the songs are on one track on the CD. I can't see any point to this, other than to force you to listen to the entire album in order, every time.

Si.

I adore all the stuff he did with The Revolution, but most of it since has been pretty mediocre, if you ask me.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I heard The Most Beautiful Girl in the World on the radio this morning - like that song. I also like Diamonds and Pearls.

I've got a friend who hates him and the only song of his he doesn't mind is Partyman from Batman.

Random choice! It's bizarre he doesn't seem to have a proper official website.

Si.

Everything went down hill after Purple Rain
    Bazinga !

The only two albums I've heard where "Around The World In A Day" and "Lovesexy".
    A friend in school was a massive fan of Prince. My brother had those albums on cassette format. I have watched Prince go on and get even further these days through videos.
    And I did love the recent BBC Four documentary (Unless it was a BBC 2 repeat) on Prince where it said he overlooked Rap music.
    This thread has inspired me to listen to "Art Official Age" on Spotify and sounds like something I really should have got into listening sooner!

"Art Official Age" the new album (well, there were two albums out on the same day, naturally, but this is the proper one) is rather good. My favourite bits are the gentle opening and closing tracks around the main concept of him going into suspended animation for 45 years (of course he does).

Last night I also got "Rave Unto the Joy Fantastic" and "The Hits/B-Sides" off Ebay so I'm enjoying listening to those.

Si.

Re-listening to "Emancipation". What a lot of great songs there are on it! Though all of the songs go on for about six minutes!

Si.

From 1982 when he released his 5th album '1999' up to 1991 when he released his 13th album 'Diamonds and Pearls' I loved most his output. There are some absolutely cracking albums like Purple Rain and a couple albums with one or two great songs and some mediocre work around it 'Sign of the Times' stand up.
    After Diamonds and Pearls, I didn't really enjoy much of his work.

Can you recommend some good non singles Paul?

Some random things - "The Most Beautiful Girl In The World" is wonderful, a song with a gorgeous melody chock full of lovely little production touches. "Gold" and "Dolphin" and "Eye Hate U" are also great from this album.

But today I listened to "Come" and oh my gosh. "No wonder there's a puddle" indeed!

I still love "Emancipation" from 1996. For a triple album it's stocked with treats.

Si.

Hi Si
    Delirious from the 1999 album is quite atypical of Prince of the early 80's. Quite an upbeat dance track. It didn't get released in the UK but got into the US Top 10.
    Darling Nikki from Purple Rain is a great example of the raunchier style of music that Prince would produce throughout the 80's and 90's which lead on to songs like Gett Off.
    I Wonder U from Parade, Play in the Sunshine and Starfish & Coffee from Sign of the Times.

With Lovesexy, strangely it's the 3 released songs I'm not so keen on. When 2 R in Love is possibly the slowest song Prince ever sung. I absolutely adore this one. Dance On is pretty good as is Eye No.

Thanks! I got the Lovesexy CD but all the songs are one track!

Si.

It's thanks to this thread I went and got "Plectrumelectrum" by 3rdEyeGirl.
    It's pretty good!

I actually prefer "Art Official Age" so you might like to get that as well. The opening track is unlike anything I've heard from Prince before.

There is a 16 page special on him in this months Q, but I haven't decided whether or not to get it yet.

Si.

Well all day I've been listening to PRINCE4EVER CD and I really should of got on board sooner with that one!