Thread: The Flash

Default The Flash

Has anyone been watching this updated version of The Flash? It's looking promising at the moment, although it's got a bit to go to beat the original 1990s series.

I really enjoyed it... it's not as good as the 1990s version yet, but I'm happy to give this time. It's going to be fun, by the looks of things...something which has been lacking in live-action superhero tv series/films for far too long.

Downsides...I wasn't as keen on this costume, when comparing it to the 90s version. The episode felt a bit rushed for a pilot, imo, but it did enough to introduce the concepts and supporting cast. Grant Gustin isn't as charismatic as John Wesley Shipp was as Barry Allen, but he's a likeable enough chap who will hopefully grow in the part as the series progresses. And no Amanda Pays as Tina McGhee...

On the plus side, it was good to see them modernising/expanding on the Flash's origin (the particle accelerator affecting the weather, and how they reckon it was the lightning bolt itself which gave Barry his powers rather than the chemicals he was doused in) without it adversely affecting the story...also setting the scene for as many super-villains to appear as needed for the remainder of the season. Also, it was great to see them acknowledge the old series by casting John Wesley Shipp as Barry's dad, of course he'd be too old to play a young Barry Allen nowadays. Still no Amanda Pays, though...

But here's some surprising news...

Amanda's on her way back to The Flash...playing the same character!

Amanda Pays to return as Tina McGhee

It’s been almost a quarter century since the CBS aired The Flash, a short-lived but fondly-remembered(-by-a-couple-people)(-including-yours-truly) attempt to tell an ongoing superhero saga on the small screen. In recent years, superpowered dramas have become quite common on television–to the point that DC Entertainment has a new Flash show launching this season on the CW, alongside network sibling Arrow and Fox’s Batman-minus-Batman prequel Gotham.

Although the new Flash is constructed as a completely new story about superspeedster Barry Allen, the show will honor the character’s TV past. We already knew that CBS-Flash John Wesley Shipp would appear as Barry Allen’s father on the new series. Now, EW has confirmed that original series star Amanda Pays will appear on the CW’s Flash–and in an intriguing twist, she’ll be playing Dr. Tina McGee, the same character she played on the 1990 series.

On the original series, Tina was the Flash’s sidekick–and over the course of the single season, Tina and Barry developed a kind of will-they-won’t-they relationship. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Tina will appear on the new Flash as an employee of a rival Very Big Science Company.

It’s unclear if Shipp’s character will ever interact with Pays, although presumably if they do interact, it would cause some kind of continuum-bursting TV-canon-rebooting Crisis event that would somehow involve Adam West’s Batman teaching the Batusi to Lynda Carter’s Wonder Woman and Stephen Amell’s Oliver Queen.

I haven't been watching it - yet.

At some point it will get into my TV system - along with the latest seasons of Agents of SHIELD and Arrow.

Certainly what IO9 is saying is positive, so I'm expecting good things from it :-)
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge