Default Death and Cremation

In Doctor Who's most recent episode, some viewers found the plotline about death and cremation, disturbing and complained to the BBC.

The story, Dark Water was the first in the two part finale of the latest series.
    It culminated with the Doctor finding out that recurring character Missy was a female incarnation of his arch-enemy the Master

The BBC has officially responded and has defended the episode
    The BBC said: "As part of the plot, some of the characters discussed what may happen to people after they die.
    The scene in which a character reveals 3W's unconventional theory about the afterlife was preceded by the same character warning the Doctor and Clara several times that what they were about to hear could be distressing.
    "When the Doctor does hear these claims, he immediately pours scorn on them, dismissing them out of hand as a 'con' and a 'racket'.
    "It transpires that he is correct, and the entire concept is revealed to be a scam perpetrated by Missy."

More here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/29908743

Was it disturbing for you?

Were lines like: "We've got a burner in number twelve. Tell them to prep"
    and "Sounds like somebody left their body to science" enough to freak you out?
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Actually it didn't disturb me as much as it probably should have done. I'm not entirely sure why, because it is a really rather nasty idea. I suspect this is because I guessed it was all a trick rather than the true afterlife.

Seriously it was not nearly as disturbing and downright nasty as Torchwood: Miracle Day was.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I don't understand how anyone can be disturbed by this episode. Either you don't believe in any kind of life/consciousness after death in which case you see it for the fictional concept it is, or you do believe in life after death and readily accept the eternal damnation and torture of anyone not conforming to one of the many set of religious rules. If there is an afterlife (which there isn't) then the vast majority of people are going to hell - some for being evil, most for not being the exact flavour of religion that turns out to be the right one. Suffering the relatively brief agony of your body being burnt (after which presumably your mind remains ok in the Nethersphere) is hardly the same as eternal torment.

The concepts presented by mainstream religions are a thousand times more horrific than anything Doctor Who has ever come up with (and are equally fictional).
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Hey Lissa. We agree. :-)

I haven't watched the episode yet (don't worry - I'm not concerned about spoilers), but my father-in law died yesterday after a long illness. While it doesn't bother me I did think that I probably wouldn't let my kids watch it (or next weeks) in light of the funeral / cremation that we'll have to go to in the next week or so.

Have to disagree with some of the comments about eternal torment though. Doesn't mention it anywhere in the Bible AFAIK, although it may feature heavily in the traditions of some branches (esp Catholicism). It does say that those who don't ascend after being raised will be left on Earth to cope with life without God - perhaps spending eternity with a planet full of humans doing whatever they like will make Hell look like a picnic .
    Bazinga !

I thought it made for an incredibly exciting episode. Doctor Who was going somewhere it had never been before, into the realms of the dead. Taking the TARDIS to new places and making it exciting is pretty difficult after 50 years, but this hit all the right buttons for me. In a way it was a shame it was a cop out, but I was one edge for a good twenty minutes.

I'm in two minds about the cremation idea; yes, it was a bit grim. On the other hand have you seen Diamonds Are Forever? Bond nearly gets cremated alive in that one! Plus Lissa is right - there are far more horrific things taught at Sunday School. Even Jesus lost faith at one point and said words to the effect of "Please don't crucify me", which is one of the worst deaths imaginable.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law Jon. Hope you and the family are all OK.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

My condolences to you too Jon.

Yes, Sorry to hear that Jon.

I'll bet the episode touched a nerve for anyone who's lost someone recently
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Sorry to hear that Jon.

My condolences also.

I think it possibly needed to be clearer that the whole afterlife business was a matrix projection.
    I certainly would've felt a lot more uncomfortable watching it had it been broadcast exactly two years ago when I was just coming to terms with my brother's death. As it stands I'm not sure if my 8 year old nephew will be allowed to watch it.

I was concerned about how tim and Kenny might be feeling watching this - i hope they and Jon are all right.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    I was concerned about how tim and Kenny might be feeling watching this - i hope they and Jon are all right.
    I'm fine, thanks Stuart. I haven't watched either episode atm, not because of any aversion to the Subject matter, but I just haven't had time.
    I have copied it onto Dvd and wiped it from the hard drive of the recorder so the boys can't watch it by accident until I think they're in a good enough state to cope with it (funeral is next week).

Thanks for the condolences from everyone else too.
    Bazinga !

I'm really sorry to hear of your loss, Jon. I know it can be rough on the family & to be reminded unawares is probably the worst so you should be prepared for the series finale. I hope you can divorce your loss from the programme you love so much. Take care.

I'm OK with the episodes though, Stuart. Thanks for asking. It was a little disturbing but my parents were buried so I'm ok but both my uncles were cremated so it was uncomfortable. How ever part two was a bit more unsettling, but it's a TV show & not real life so it's ok.

But I can completely understand anyone finding it distasteful or distressing & I don't blame Jon in delaying his Son's from watching the story. Hopefully in the future his Son's will see it & wonder what all the fuss was about.

I think it's safe to mention this now. I was doing a bit of reading about Seventh Day Adventists last year, apropos of absolutely nothing other than curiosity. Anyway, what it has to do with this thread is, among their beliefs is that those who don't do good, will, they believe be annhilated spiritually and physically, while every one else will go to Heaven. None of this, however, will take place until the day of judgement; until that happens, everyone will remain in their bodies in a form of suspended animation. This can be checked out on Wikipedia and religioustolerance.org, but it does sound vaguely familiar when compared with some of the things discussed in the last season.