Default RTD Interview In SFX

Lengthy RTD interview in Issue 155 of SFX (out now) and their Doctor Who Collection thingy out on 28th March.

Here's the bits they left out:

LINK CONTAINS MINOR SPOILERS!
    http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=...es_interviewed

Some fans will love the "Why doesnt the TARDIS visit more alien planets?" reply.

It sounds very sensible to me.
    It’s not like, ‘Oh, we’ve got a city in 3D, now we can use it ten million times.’ No, every single shot counts, and we pay a fixed price for every single shot. So you cannot sustain it for long. If they’re on an alien planet then very quickly they have to get underground, or into the city. Yes, now and again we’ve done a bit of it, and there are certain shots of alien cities and things like that, but we’re just very careful with it. We’ll do a bit. There are gonna be people talking on alien planets and you will see alien cities in the background, but it’s written so that it’s limited. You have to write around it and be careful counting every shot. Obviously, I like things related back to Earth and to humanity, but it’s very clearly a cost-cutting measure that a lot of our adventures are on Earth. I don’t ever want to sound like we’re short of money though, because we’re very well funded, very well looked after.”
    I do think he overestimates what peoples mockery would be though. If you got a wood doubling as an alien planet, would it really be that lampooned?

lipsynch on a CGI monster is a nightmare, cos it’s so expensive. Cassandra is the only one we’ve ever done properly - and she could hardly move! The effect is very, very expensive, so most of our other CGI monsters just growled and things like that.
    Well that explains why The Beast never said anything!

Si.

There's always the Daleks and Cybermen, though with the Daleks it's more Lightsync than Lipsync.

It does cost a fortune in CGI for an alien city, but it's quite cheap to go to the South Bank in London as any Frontier In Space fan will tell you
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I do think he overestimates what peoples mockery would be though. If you got a wood doubling as an alien planet, would it really be that lampooned?

Si.

well it always seemed to work for Stargate.