Default Confirmed: Peter Capaldi AND Jenna Coleman to Return for Season 9

Peter Capaldi’s 12th incarnation of Doctor Who will run at least two seasons, it was confirmed Monday.

Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter after an event in London to mark the DVD release of the BBC series’ recently completed eighth season, show-runner Steven Moffat said that Capaldi was returning.

"Yes, he’s confirmed,” Moffat said, although he later added that Jenna Coleman, who has played the Time Lord’s companion Clara Oswald for the past two years, had not, something that could fuel rumours in the U.K. press that she is going to leave the show following the upcoming Christmas special.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...s-peter-749557
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Yay!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Excellent news! I hope we get a lot more than just two years from him, though!

Great news though I hope Jenna stays too - they had great chemistry together.

But how long do you think Capaldi will stay? Eccleston was a one-year deal, while Matt and David both didn't want to get stuck as Doctor Who forever. Capaldi has got a lot of great acting roles behind him, so maybe he'll be minded to stay longer?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I hope he stays at least as long as David & Matt did. You've got to remember too that he's in a different position from them, as you say he's had a long and varied career so he's not going to worry about typecasting now, surely. Plus the simple fact that this is the job he's wanted for 40 years...as long as things are alright behind the scenes, we may see him here for a good few years. Maybe a Pertwee-length run, say 5 years or so?

Wait and see though, probably this time next year they'll be casting a new Doctor...

It would be nice to think he might do, as you say Mac, a Pertwee-length run. Fingers crossed I guess...

Wonderful news

Good to hear he's going to be back, but it would be nice if it was announced that he had signed a longer contract. I suppose in modern television that doesn't happen as much as a series is often only renewed for a season at a time.

Gotta say,though not unexpected Capaldi would return, I'm probably the only one here who's disappointed :-(. Sorry but for me Capaldi just isn't the Doctor at all. He's easily my least favourite Doctor (replacing Eccleston and Pertwee in bottom position). I just feel he's playing the Doctor as Peter Capaldi rather than the other way round.
    Here's hoping his next season is his last, though I doubt it will be
    Regards
    Diddy

Thread title edited in the light of today's announcement following the events of "Last Christmas" ....
    On balance whilst I expected her to leave yesterday I'm quite pleased with this news.

This of course means that Jenna will become the longest serving Nu Who companion overtaking Karen Gillan's current record of 33 episodes not counting her Time of the Doctor cameo.
    Even so, another 12 episode season will place Clara on either 36 or 37 episodes depending whether we count her appearance as Oswin in Asylum.
    Last edited by Richard Brinck-Johnsen; 27th Dec 2014 at 10:32 AM. Reason: spacing

You are assuming that Clara will be with us for the whole series & not the first half, which is always a possibility.

The official announcement from the BBC says she's in the whole series.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/12...ilers.html?m=1
    Last edited by Richard Brinck-Johnsen; 27th Dec 2014 at 9:27 PM. Reason: link added

Oh well if Moffat definitely says she's absolutely in the whole of the series, she'll probably be written out ten minutes into episode one!!

I for one wouldn't particularly miss her if she goes sooner rather than later - over the course of this last series Clara has turned into quite a nasty piece of work, so unless she undergoes a character change I wouldn't want another whole series of her bullying the Doctor.
    Last edited by Jon Masters; 28th Dec 2014 at 8:58 PM. Reason: an important spelling mistake !
    Bazinga !

I assume, then, they're going to pursue the notion of Clara being 'addicted' to the whole 'being (with) the Doctor' thing?

I'm very pleased she's staying on. She's a brilliant actress and I've loved what she's done with Clara over the last season. It really made me smile when the Doctor asked her to come with him at the end of the Christmas special this year. Lovely!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    It really made me smile when the Doctor asked her to come with him at the end of the Christmas special this year. Lovely!
    There's no answer to that!

I'm really glad. I love Clara and Jenna plays her really well.

Si.