Default The Box Of Delights hits 30!

Yes, this very day, the most Christmassy BBC Children's TV serial ever hits 30. I was watching that very first day and was transfixed by it...

How about you?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I too watched it when it was first on. And I never realised that it was Patrick Troughton/Doctor no.2.

I remember watching it (did Troughton make a rare appearance on Blue Peter to plug it, along with the young lad who plays Kay) at the time. Some of the later episodes look a little cheap in places, but the first episode in particular looks great - and there's a real atmosphere to the whole thing, from the snowy film scenes, and that extraordinarily beautiful theme tune, as well as the sense of mysticism.... not to mention, James Grout's lovely policeman ("Prank when meant as prank, can soon become villainy when meant as villainy") and the villain of the piece, Abner.

30 years!! Well now I know I'm getting old...

Oh my diamond, my jewel. I love Robert Stephens and Patricia Quinn sparring with each other. They're very entertaining villains.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Can't believe it's 30 years old now, I never tire of watching it. And I have started a re-watch tonight so I guess my countdown to Christmas is underway!

Loved it as a child; used to run around with watch boxes pretending to have a Box of Delights. When we got it on DVD we were really dissapointed and felt that the ending was garbled and anti-climactic so we sold our copy. Kind of wish we hadn't now as I'd quite like to give it another (third) chance.

Oh well. And there endeth the lesson. I'm sure we'll find something else in our four million DVD's to watch. We won't televisually starve while there are DVD-fish in the... shelf-sea.

Si.