Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To make up for the lack of covers at the weekend again...

The 1980 annuals first...the 2000AD Annual cover by Gerry Woods, and the (second and final) Dan Dare Annual cover by Kevin O'Neill

And jumping forward a decade or so, here's the Christmas cover for 1991 (Prog 763, 28th December 1991) by Richard Dolan

Ah! so in a hundred years' time, people will still recognise Roy Wood!

Ah, now that's the first 2000AD annual I got - the 1980 one. Lots of memories associated with that, from the days when annuals were a lot thicker than they are now!

Can't say I've ever seen those Dan Dare covers before!

More recent stuff now...the Christmas 2012 edition of the Megazine (#331) with a cover by Paul Marshall...

Prog 710 from 1990 with cover art by Colin MacNeil today...

I'll finish this thread on Christmas Eve, bringing us bang up-to-date with this years Christmas wraparound cover which will probably stretch the page a bit...

The 2012 cover's quite funny Although I'll always prefer the old-style ink artwork instead of digital (Moaning old git!)
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Agreed...modern digital art can be stylish and flashy but it lacks the character and originallity found in old-style pencil-and-ink artwork, where an artist's style was instantly recognisable.

THE 1981 annuals up first today, with Judge Dredd replacing Dan Dare this time round...

Covers by Dave Gibbons (2000AD) and Brian Bolland (Dredd)

I boobed slightly in an earlier post stating that the Christmas covers returned after a haitus...boobed with the year and featured cover at any rate! Here's the actual cover which brought the Christmas theme to a new audience...by Cliff Robinson from Christmas 2006...

Why was Freddie Mercury on the cover?

Sting refused...

I've still got the 1981 annual somewhere - another good thick book. I used to like Strontium Dog, especially the 'origin storyline' they did, really good gritty stuff. Plus the Gronk!

Oh, my poor heartsies...

A triple bill today!

Up first we have Prog 348 from1983, with a cover by Eric Bradbury; Prog 658 from 1989 boasting a Richard Dolan cover,and finally the Christmas 2009 Megazine, with a cover by John Higgins...

Several covers again today...first up, from 1984 we have a Kevin O'Neill cover for Prog 398...

This next one, Prog 450 from 1985 by Alan Davis was featured in last year's Christmas covers selection, but is certainly worth another look...

Last years Megazine Christmas 2013 (#343), by Cliff Robinson & Dylan Teague...

And the 2011 Megazine (#318), with a cover by Tiernen Trevallion...

And finally, a last look at the Annuals...this time from 1982...Covers by Brian Bolland (2000AD) and Mike McMahon (Dredd)

Awesome stuff!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

So we come bang up to date now with this final cover. The 2014 Christmas issue, currently on sale, with a cover by Colin O'Neill.

I hope you enjoyed this short thread, I didn't manage to fit in all of the Christmas covers (a few early 1990s ones plus later annuals didn't make it) but the vast majority appear here, and certainly the highlights.

And if you enjoyed them, there will be more appearing regularly in my next dreaded covers thread. I'll be looking at them in a different way in the New Year...a sort of This Day In History thread, where I'll look at various publications which were on sale this particular day, week or month in years gone past, mostly concentrating on the 1960s-early/mid 1990s period. Not just comics, but taking in such genre magazines as Starburst, DWM, Starlog, etc and possibly, depending on how my research goes, also tying in releases of the Target DW novelisations range and fanzines such as DWB and The Frame. I don't know just yet how easily available release dates are for these last few items so we'll just see how things go...

I'd just like to say how much I've enjoyed December's wander through Christmas covers, as much out of interest to see what sort of stuff came out 'after my time' as for the nostalgic buzz of seeing some of those old Prog & Annual covers. Thanks for taking the time and effort to put it all together Mac, and I look forward to your next thread.

Merry Christmas!

Great stuff, thanks Kenny!