Default Echo and the Bunnymen

Formed in Liverpool in 1978, Echo and the Bunnymen are one of the most enduring of punk era bands (although they came to promincence later in the early '80s). They were originally Ian McCulloch, Will Sergeant and the late Les Pattinson (who replaced the original drum machine!)
    Moody but ironically joyful, the Bunnymen enjoyed moderate success before disbanding in the early '90s (McCulloch having left ages before). Their 1997 reformation was welcome though, and they've proved themselves worthy since. Ian McColloch is one true pop original too, blessed as a good songwriter and singer. Was he actually the UK's belated answer to Jim Morrison?? Check out the band's cover of "People are strange" and judge!

I'm seeing them at the MEN arena at the end of the month as part of the Manchester v Cancer gug, so they're on my mind. Anyone else a fan? Or otherwise, what do you think of them anyway? Do you actually wear a black trenchcoat and backcomb your hair?

"The Killing Moon" is, obviously, a minor masterpiece.
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

Lay down the raincoat and groove.

My favourite band as a 'youngster', I was devastated when they split! U2 always wanted to be the biggest band in the world, whilst the Bunnymen were always content to be the coolest.

Love the first four albums to death, and Ocean Rain didn't disappoint after being advertised in NME etc as "the greatest album ever made". The fifth (self titled) album was a drop in quality, although had the great singles The Game & Lips Like Sugar.

The comback album Evergreen was a success both artistically & sales wise, but they've been on a decline ever since, imo. McCulloch's voice 'went' years ago, he never tries any high notes any more, too many years of snorting cocaine. Hopefully he'll be on a night off when you go & see them.

and the late Les Pattinson (who replaced the original drum machine!)
    I think you mean the late Pete De Freitas, Les was the bass player, who left the band again (to go back to making boats) after recording a couple of tracks on 'What Are You Going To Do With Your Life?'. For me, the band 'died' when he left, it's not the same for me with just the two of them.

Co-incidentally, Korova are re-issuing the McCulloch solo albums (Mysterio & Candeland) with bonus tracks in April, and also the Electrafixion cd, the band that McCulloch & Will Sargeant formed inbetween splitting & reforming.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post

I think you mean the late Pete De Freitas, Les was the bass player, who left the band again (to go back to making boats) after recording a couple of tracks on 'What Are You Going To Do With Your Life?'. For me, the band 'died' when he left, it's not the same for me with just the two of them.
    I think I do! My memory of names can be a bit shocking! I know who I meant anyhow!

Can't wait to see them at the end of the month actually!

Dave Lewis Guest

A simply superb band, with one of the coolest lead singers ever.

I didn't really know enough about them when I was younger, but my ears pearked up when Evergreen came out, and "Nothing Lasts Forever", despite the irrelevant presence of one Liam Gallagher on "yeah yeah yeah"s, is one of the finest tunes of the nineties, if not ever.

It's no "Killing Moon", but it has a certain timeless charm. Oh spare us the cutter, Dave... what are you rambling about?

McCulloch has great taste in football, too...

We're the same three people that posted on The Doors thread too.....

I saw them live back in 1985/86 on the 'Songs To Learn & Sing' tour, and also at Wembly Arena around 1987. Since they reformed, caught them at that first Glastonbury, a V Festival (where they were very good) and a couple of years ago at Shepherd's Bush. The last time they were poor, as I said earlier because of cocaine. Met his tour manager beforehand, who told us all about his cocaine use, and said that if his wife (Lorraine) came to a gig, he didn't do any (& thus his singing was better), but if she didn't.......well she wasn't there that night.

I also got invited along to a live broadcast to Japan they did for 'Bring On The Dancing Horses' back again in 85/86, done at (one of) the old Marquee in Wardour Street. I got to meet McCulloch afterwards & asked for his autograph, and he got me to hold his glass of wine & cigarette whilst he signed it. Ah, good times.....

Let us know what they're like Carol!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    We're the same three people that posted on The Doors thread too.....
    Other people are strange!

I'll report back about the gig!