Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    [CENTER]
    I remember this series because they took particular care over producing decent cover art rather than just reprinting the originals.

This was one of those series worth buying for the cover art alone. Each and every issue featuring a brand new painted cover by British artists...and there were some cracking covers scattered throughout its run.

A few of those ring a bell or two - DWM 60 I think bruv picked up at Carlisle pannier market, and certainly State of Decay came from the Carlisle WH Smith. Unless the memory cheats, I have a feeling that was the first time me & bruv were allowed to get the bus into the city centre on our own (I'd be 10 and he'd be 12 at the time).

Future Tense I certainly used to get when it first started, although had stopped by this time (in fact I never realised it got as far as issue 41!!) And B7 mag I definitely got, with its (to the modern eye) very cheap-looking paper and poor photo printing.

And that US Star Wars comic... I see that's number 55. I only ever managed to get one issue of the US comic (I've still got all the UK ones upstairs, on the other hand) which came from a Comic Store in, I think, Glasgow. That was number 50, so must have been late the previous year I suppose. We got some 'Character heads' (which came with sweets inside) of Darth & Mr PO as well from the same shop.

Ah, happy days!

Well, that's January just about over already and I haven't covered nearly as much as I'd have liked to. Next month I'll maybe try shorter posts with less covers, but more often and hopefully covering more years...but here are a few January covers from years gone by which I didn't get round to...

From 1985...

Last edited by MacNimon; 30th Jan 2015 at 8:37 PM.

Ha, a few memories there. I was aware of, but never quite got round to, buying the Indiana Jones comic - so was quite pleased when the strips started getting reprinted in Star Wars comic some time later.

Today, we have a selection of British weeklies which were on sale the first week or so of February 1978, when a couple of new titles hit the newsagents shelves...

Great thread. I remember all those '70s comics.

The 1972 issue of Countdown was in the wet playtime box at school. I read the three Doctor Who pages over and over!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I used to get Cheeky Weekly weekly, and my brother used to collect Plug. I used to get Star Wars too - and those I still have!!

A bit of a more historical post today...we go back to the first week of February, 1953, when the big news story was the North Sea Flood of 31st January/1st February which killed 326 people here on land in the UK (in England and Scotland, plus over 200 at sea) and over 1800 in total. Also in the news later this month was the announcement of the discovery of the structure of DNA.

On the entertainment front, this week saw the release of Disney's Peter Pan on 5th February (62 years ago today) and later in the year we were to be introduced to Quatermass on BBC tv and Journey Into Space on BBC Radio.

On sale this week in 1953...we begin with the first issue of The Topper...

This next title didn't actually appear until later in the year, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to show how Arthur Askey was once considered cover strip material...

Also on sale February 1953...

There was only one Number One single in the UK for the whole of this month...Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes, by Perry Como And The Ramblers

What, no Rupert?

And Dan Dare's arch-enemy is still doing commercials, I notice...

"For Mekon Head, try Sudafed!"

A few from February 1992 today...

Last edited by MacNimon; 6th Feb 2015 at 7:14 AM.

A lot of uncomfortable faces on that Starburst cover - what's Shatner done this time...?

We go back to February 1980 today, and (for the most part) here's some of what was on sale the second and third weeks of that month...

In the second week of February 1980, the UK Top 5 looked like this, while Queen were at Number One in America with Crazy Little Thing Called Love:

1.Too Much Too Young (The Special AKA Live! EP) - The Specials
    2.Kenny Rogers - Coward Of The County
    3.The Nolans - I'm In The Mood For Dancing
    4.Madness - My Girl
    5.The Whispers - And The Beat Goes On

Among the books released this month were Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Identity and the Target novelisation of The Invasion Of Time.

Ah Space Dust - I can feel it fizzing and popping away in my mouth even now That's a very strange logo on the TV Times - makes my eyes hurt!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You almost expect someone to get you to look at it while saying "You are feeling sleepy..."

That's an idea - now everyone open their wallets...

There's a few there that I had -Nutty I collected for a while (the original home of Bananaman of course) and Speed too (which then merged with Eagle I believe - the 'Death Wish' character was one that carried over?). That Star Wars comic is number 101 I think, the concluding part of the story that started in issue 100 (with its, for the time, exciting photocover). And that 2000AD I really remember very well, the Fiends of the Eastern Front was a real favourite of mine, and it was also the first time I'd encounted Robohunter.

And on the subject of Dick Turpin, I've been rewatching some of series 1 recently. Richard O'Sullivan was a real star back in the day wasn't he.

Unfortunately he had a stroke about 12 years ago, and is currently living in a retirement home.

Yes, very sad.

Just the one single issue, today...something a little bit different. On sale exactly 100 years ago this week with a cover date of 15th February 1915, here's the cover and editorial/letters page of Dreadnought, a story paper of the time which featured characters such as Billy Bunter and Sexton Blake. A predecessor of modern day comics, the story papers had text stories with only a few panels of art scattered throughout their pages...it was really only during the 1930s that a product recognisable as modern comics started to appear...

That letters page makes extraordinary reading to the modern eye doesn't it!

It's certainly fascinating. It's just interesting to see what passed for entertainment at a time when adults were being sent off to war in their thousands, many never to return. Sometimes it reads like the readers are being lectured to by an old-fashioned schoolmaster, doesn't it?

And in a strange way, travellers; peer pressure; copyright control in the popular entertainment format of the age: the more things change, eh?

We go back to February 2004 today...

Here in the UK, weekly comics had generally long since become a thing of the past (except for stuff like the Dandy & Beano, which I struggled to find covers for this particular month); the sole genre exception being 2000AD, of course...the only UK comics worth mentioning this month are really the Panini reprints, along with a few magazine covers and a short look at some US Marvel and DC covers of the month.

Also on sale this month from Big Finish Productions...

...and from BBC Books...