Default Return Of The ZX Spectrum

A remodelled version of the classic 1980s ZX Spectrum console is to go into production in Nottinghamshire.

SMS Electronics will manufacture the device - renamed the Sinclair Spectrum Vega - at its factory in Beeston.

Five million of the original consoles were manufactured and sold by Sinclair Computers in 1982.

The latest iteration of the console will look the same as the original, and comes pre-loaded with more than 1,000 classic games.

The console was best-known for titles including Jetpac, Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, and Ant Attack.

Bob Pitchford, sales and marketing director for SMS Electronics, said: "A lot of these games are known to people who have followed the gaming industry for many years.

"There has been a tremendous amount of research which shows the gaming market has become more sophisticated - which means it’s also become more expensive.

"The graphics these consoles deliver may require you to buy a new TV but what about the huge market for Joe Bloggs who just wants to play Pac-Man?"

The updated system was developed by Luton-based Retro Computers.

The first run of 1,000 machines has been financed by a crowdfunding campaign - which offered people the chance to have their names included on a roll of honour installed on them.

It is expected to sell for less than £100 when it goes on sale in April.
    http://news.sky.com/story/1407829/ne...-sale-in-april

I know there are emulators, I want it for the experience of playing with a rubber keyboard again.
    People say the Commodore was better, but I remember mostly the BASIC system the ZX Spectrum had. Commodore and even Amstrad may have used similar programs, but the typing of making your own programs by typing up code.
    I'm looking forward to do that this Summer!
    So break ranks silent ZX Spectrum experienced!
    WE AWAKEN!!!

Five million of the original consoles were manufactured and sold by Sinclair Computers in 1982.
    It's not a console!

I just downloaded an emulator last night for the Raspberry Pi mini computer. Haven't got it running yet.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Baah !! At least you had raised keys, unlike the flat touch keyboard on the ZX81 !
    Bazinga !

One massive, massive difference between my ZX Spectrum life then and now is I never played it drunk as I was too young! So this is perfect!
    I've no idea if you'll be able to 10 PRINT something and GOTO 10 on this.
    The waiting game starts for more information.
    If it's just a ZX Spectrum frame and only able to load games it make take the wind from my sails.
    But in this day and age, the programming of these computers can be matched and surpassed in a mobile phone?

It is expected to sell for less than £100 when it goes on sale in April.
    Well some things have improved then!

But will it be the original 48K ZX or will it be the unstoppably powerful 128K machine?

Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I had a Vic-20. No spongey keys for me - light beige function keys and a slot at the back for those chunky games cartridges. Lovely!

The problem with nostalgia is that it's designed to make the already-venerable feel even more ancient. *sigh*

Ah, the good old days of Jet Set Williy and Quasimodo and their ruddy awful renditions of If I Were A Rich Man and Teddy Bears' Picnic...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post

But will it be the original 48K ZX or will it be the unstoppably powerful 128K machine?

I had the 128+2. Used to play Bruce Lee, Jet Pac & a game set in the human body the title of which escapes me.

Wacky Waiters was my fave. Although my cousin had The Hobbit adventure game on his XZ Speculum which I was v jealous of.

Sorry, I meant SS Plectrum. Oh my God I'm turning into Count Arthur Strong...

This is supposedly what it will look like:

The company claims: “Development of the product is complete, and a fully functioning prototype is ready to go into production.”

Sinclair sold his name to Amstrad, which then sold it to Sky, which left it in a box of old SCART cables and other things which it hung onto in case they proved useful one day

The press release says:

The Sinclair Spectrum Vega is as simple to use as any of the popular games consoles, but far less expensive. It plugs into a TV so the user does not need a computer monitor, and it comes complete with around 1,000 games built in. The user will also be able to download additional games from the thousands that are available free of charge on the web, so there is no need for users to pay any more than the cost of the basic product, which will be well below £100 from the company’s website.
    More: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/12...st_as_rubbish/
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Ah, so they've turned it into a game console and not as a computer.
    Well, I'll probably still buy it, but feeling a bit cheated. And rather embarrassed of my enthusiasm now!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fuse...e=typ_redirect

10 PRINT Download this
    20 GOTO 10

It looks like an ideal gift for certain people - depending, I guess, on how far below £100 it is. Very tempting though...

I had a quick go on Robocop last night using the emulator. Man it was tough!

Yeah. I never finished RoboCop.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip J Ludlam View Post
    Sinclair sold his name to Amstrad, which then sold it to Sky
    " Sinclair, you're fired!"