A remodelled version of the classic 1980s ZX Spectrum console is to go into production in Nottinghamshire.

SMS Electronics will manufacture the device - renamed the Sinclair Spectrum Vega - at its factory in Beeston.

Five million of the original consoles were manufactured and sold by Sinclair Computers in 1982.

The latest iteration of the console will look the same as the original, and comes pre-loaded with more than 1,000 classic games.

The console was best-known for titles including Jetpac, Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, and Ant Attack.

Bob Pitchford, sales and marketing director for SMS Electronics, said: "A lot of these games are known to people who have followed the gaming industry for many years.

"There has been a tremendous amount of research which shows the gaming market has become more sophisticated - which means it’s also become more expensive.

"The graphics these consoles deliver may require you to buy a new TV but what about the huge market for Joe Bloggs who just wants to play Pac-Man?"

The updated system was developed by Luton-based Retro Computers.

The first run of 1,000 machines has been financed by a crowdfunding campaign - which offered people the chance to have their names included on a roll of honour installed on them.

It is expected to sell for less than £100 when it goes on sale in April.
http://news.sky.com/story/1407829/ne...-sale-in-april

I know there are emulators, I want it for the experience of playing with a rubber keyboard again.
People say the Commodore was better, but I remember mostly the BASIC system the ZX Spectrum had. Commodore and even Amstrad may have used similar programs, but the typing of making your own programs by typing up code.
I'm looking forward to do that this Summer!
So break ranks silent ZX Spectrum experienced!
WE AWAKEN!!!