Default Leonard Nimoy ("Spock") dies at 83

Leonard Nimoy, the sonorous, gaunt-faced actor who won a worshipful global following as Mr. Spock, the resolutely logical human-alien first officer of the Starship Enterprise in the television and movie juggernaut “Star Trek,” died on Friday morning at his home in the Bel Air section of Los Angeles. He was 83.

His wife, Susan Bay Nimoy, confirmed his death, saying the cause was end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Mr. Nimoy announced last year that he had the disease, which he attributed to years of smoking, a habit he had given up three decades earlier. He had been hospitalized earlier in the week.

His artistic pursuits — poetry, photography and music in addition to acting — ranged far beyond the United Federation of Planets, but it was as Mr. Spock that Mr. Nimoy became a folk hero, bringing to life one of the most indelible characters of the last half century: a cerebral, unflappable, pointy-eared Vulcan with a signature salute and blessing: "Live long and prosper"

More: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/ar...ies-at-83.html
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

RIP Mr Nimoy.
    In a way Star Trek was my childhood introduction to multiculturalism. Epitomized by Spock, who always made you look at things a different way.
    Leonard Nimoy may not have been the world's most versatile actor, but he created a legend. A household name. And a hero that wasn't the 'John Wayne' type.

Such an iconic figure. His name will live on. Sad news.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's very sad indeed.

His performance as Spock was really rather good, wasn't it? I'm so glad he got the chance to come back and play him again in the new filsm. It seemed fitting really.

As well as being a great actor, he was a brilliant director too with a score of hits in the 80s, not least of which were The Search for Spock and the Voyage Home.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    The Search for Spock
    Very underrated that one, I think. Some great visuals.

I've always liked it too. I've never really bought into the whole "Odd numbered ones are rubbish" theory.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Very sad. As Dave said, an iconic figure. I know that he once hated being so identified with Spock (but later came round and accepted the fact) but those constant reruns back in the days when we only had 3 channels on tv (and some of us could only receive two of them!) meant that he played a most distinctive and memorable character who became a huge favourite of many people, only equalled by Jon Pertwee's Doctor at the time.

RIP Leonard.

Such sad news, not only was he an amazing actor, but also a genuinely kind and caring individual, from everything I've read. I know he lived a good life, but he was one of those people who you wish would go on for ever, especially as it seemed like he still had a real lust for life.

Very few celebrity deaths really affect me but this is one I find especially upsetting, partially as he made a such huge impact on me as Spock, and so was partly responsible for me being such a big sci-fi fan, and who I am today.

RIP Mr Nimoy, and thank you for everything.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Sad news. RIP.

I'm getting progressively more sad about this as I finish my pint.

RIP / LLAP
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Is it possible that we two, you and I, have grown so old and so inflexible that we have outlived our usefulness?
    Awww!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Yeah - although any death over 80 is a good length of life. I do find myself very touched by his passing.

I've written today how growing up through my troubled teens, the character of Spock for so many reasons was an "imaginary friend who I deeply identified with". He was somewhat complex - outwardly calm and rational, finding displayed of emotion vulgar, but with all those feeling bubbling up inside. In may ways he was the perfect analogy of the journey of adolescence - at least for me.

Of course Leonard Nimoy was not Spock. Only in some ways he was. He brought a lot to that character, and he's talked many times about how that character has also given much to him.

I wrote a blog about his death this morning, but it's probably best summed up by the closing.

The alien character of Spock will always be with us, but there will be a vacuum left by the man who was Leonard Nimoy.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

A wonderfully kind man by all accounts. RIP.

I see Shatner has been getting abuse from trolls for not attending Nimoy's funeral, even though he was on the opposite coast of America at a charity event and struggled to find a flight back for the funeral, which was barely 48 hours after Nimoy's death.

Some people should have to try to be in two places at once themselves, and see how they like it!

I actually feel very sorry for him. It can't be easy.