Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wayne Guest

Default The Twilight Zone

Did disc 1 yesterday.

'In Praise of Pip' - Nice episode, with a great performance from Jack Klugman, who's character realizes what's really important in life when his dying. 7.5/10

'Steel' - Another good ep, this time starring Lee Marvin. Interesting concept, in that mankind, although having realized the dangers of violent sports, still needs to experience it via other means. Nice script. 7/10

'Nightmare at 20,000 Feet' - Shatner's back in this true classic! Great performance from Bill, who plays a psychotic passenger on a plane that's attacked by gremlins. The gremlins look awful, but it's still a superb episode. 9/10

'A Kind of Stopwatch' - Hmmmm..... Very average fayre. A fairly routine story about a man who bores everyone to death. 5/10

'The Last Night of a Jockey' - Good performance from Mickey Rooney, but again the story is nothing special really. 6/10

'Living Doll' - A not completly bald Telly Savalas stars in this spooky little ep about a doll called 'Talky Tina' that seems to have a life of it's own. Really enjoyed this one! 8.5/10

'The Old Man in the Cave' - James Coburn stars in this post nuclear war story about a group of survivors who are being helped by a mysterious old man in a cave, who nobody has ever seen. It turns out to be Landru's big brother. Though how the hell he got in that cave is anyones guess! A good ep though. 8/10

'Uncle Simon' - Cracking script from Rod Serling, & excellent performances from the two leads. I love eps like this this that look at the idiosyncrasies of human nature. Great writing - superb dialogue! 9.5/10

It's a good start after the relatively weak fourth season. The episodes are much better paced back at their 25min time slot. Some top name guest stars so far, as well.

Wayne Guest

Did disc 2 today.

'Probe 7, Over and Out' - Not a bad ep, but in a sense it's a bit of a re-working of 'The Lonely' from season 1, but not as effective. A reasonable 7/10, But only just scrapes that mark.

'The 7th Is Made Up Of Phantoms' - Perhaps in this final season, Mr.Serling, though he's given us some wonderful stories (& hopefully a few left to come) is beginning to run out of ideas. One of his favourite themes of present meeting past is represented again here, as it has been a couple of times before. It's not a bad ep as such, but nothing special. 6.5/10

'A Short Drink From a Certain Fountain' - A cut above average, but again nothing exceptional. I guessed what the twist was going to be. Bit obvious really. 5.5/10

'Ninety Years Without Slumbering' - Again, not a bad ep, but nothing outstanding. Some earnest performances, & not the worst story i've seen in TZ. 6/10

'Ring a Ding Girl' - Not the most gripping ep, but i did enjoy the idea of the rich & famous woman returning the humble town that she came from in order the thank the townspeople - by saving most of their lives. A worthy 7/10.

'You Drive' - Almost like a twist on Stephen King's 'Christine', before it's time. An ok ep with good performances, but once again; not exceptional. 6.5/10

'The Long Morrow' - Ah, now this is more like it. A highly atmospheric, Sci-Fi based episode presenting one of Serling's better scripts dealing with love & cruel fate. Didn't see the twist coming in this one. I knew there'd be one but wasn't sure what it would be. A nice little, well written story, augmented by great performances from two people who would later appear in Star Trek: Robert Lansing (Gary Seven - 'Assignment Earth'), & Mariette Hartley (Zarabeth - 'All Our Yesterdays') 9/10.

The Waynester takes no prisoners again as he rushes through the Zone - my verdicts soon!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    The Waynester takes no prisoners again as he rushes through the Zone - my verdicts soon!
    2 discs in 2 days? That's not rushing!

Wayne Guest

Did a couple from Disc 3 before bed last night, & the rest this morning.

'The Self Improvement of Salvadore Ross' - The man in question discovers he can buy anything, but things backfire on him. Pretty average fayre. Didn't really go for this one in a big way. 5/10

'Number 12 Looks Just Like You' - Another take on the perception of 'beauty' from Mr.Serling. It's slightly funny, & kind of typically American, that they get a gorgeous actress like Suzy Parker to play the supposedly 'plain' girl who doesn't want to undergo the 'transformation'.
    This theme has been covered more effectively before in at least one previous story, but it was still a fairly good episode, overall. 7.5/10.

'Black Leather Jackets' - A slightly bizzare take on the 'Alien Invasion' theme from Waltons creator Earl Hamner, where members of a motorbike gang turn out to be aliens. Despite the oddball premise, it turns out to be a fairly routine episode. I think i'd rather spend an evening on Walton mountain. 5.5/10

'Night Call' - Quite an atmospheric story from Richard Matheson, who's written a good few classics. This is not one of his best, but still not bad. 7/10

'From Agnes With Love' - One of those obligatory 'comedic' episodes that's dull, & not very funny. 2/10

'Spur of the Moment' - A slightly better offering from Richard Matheson, where a woman tries to make contact with her past self, to alter her future. The appearance of the gorgeous Diana Hyland is a bonus. 7.5/10

'An Occurence at Owl Creek Ridge' - This curious French production is a sort has a sort of 'guest spot' on the Twilight Zone. I didn't think very much of it, to be honest. It was very dull, & a bit Gunfighters! 3/10

Not exactly classic stuff on disc 3 then!
    Last edited by Wayne; 24th Nov 2006 at 12:47 PM.

I adore Nightmare at 20,000 Feet and have it on VCD from a magazine giveaway from a few years ago. So good they remade it for the 80s movie - with a much better and scarier gremlin, but you do miss the Shatner!

Wayne Guest

I vaguely remember the re-make Jonno, but i only saw it once, about 20yrs ago. I didn't think had the same sort of atmosphere as the original series, but then i suppose that's bound to be the case.

Anyway, i meant to post this before i went out, but i did 2 from disc 4 last night, & finished the disc this afternoon.

'Queen of the Nile' - Ann Blyth plays a good part in this atmospheric episode with a chilling ending! Also features Celia Lovsky who played T'Pau in Star Trek's classic: 'Amok Time'. A good start to disc 4. 7.5/10.

'What's in the Box' - A reasonable if not outstanding episode, where a man starts to see himself in his own future on television. Watchable. 6/10

'The Masks' - I rather liked this one. Not action packed, but well written some choice dialogue from the pen of Mr.Serling. The twist at the end was perhaps a bit obvious, but it worked well. An effective & successful episode, overall. 8/10

'I Am the Night - Colour Me Black' - Quite a nicely written episode. One of Mr. Serling's observations upon the state of humanity. Perhaps a bit talky, & just a tad on the slow side, but a charged atmosphere & strong performances make up for it. 7/10

'Sounds and Silences' - Quite a unique episode in some ways, mainly because of an entertainly oddball performance by John McGiver, who comes across as a version of James Robertson Justice, here. One or two unexpected directions before the final twist. A good episode. 7.5/10.

'Ceaser and Me' - I enjoyed this tale which was another twist on the ventriloquist and dummy theme, as seen a few seasons ago, but this was a bit different, not just a re-hash. Excellent performance from Jackie Cooper helps to make for a good, solid episode. 8/10.

'The Jeopardy Room' - Excellent episode. Very well written. The best of disc 4 for me. A compelling story with two great performances from the two leads, where in the final twist Martin Landau finally has the last laugh. 8.5/10.

A clear improvement IMO, on the batch of episodes on the previous disc. Fifth & final disc to come tomorrow.

'In Praise of Pip' - I thought this was OK but mediocre compared to other season openers 6/10

'Steel' - I've always enjoyed Lee Marvin in films and TV so it was good to see him here. I thought this was a good piece of sci-fi man versus machine - I wonder if they really thought boxing would be barred by 1974? I think in many ways it ought to be now. 7.5/10

'Nightmare at 20,000 Feet' - The Shat's on fine form - I love the way the gremlin bounces back and forth like a puppet on the wing - and love the ending - just a half point more 9.5/10

'A Kind of Stopwatch' - This was definitely a weaker one I'd say 5/10 is right.

'The Last Night of a Jockey' - I'm not a great fan of Mickey Rooney but I thought he gave a good performance in a middling story 5.5/10

'Living Doll' - I'm talking Tina and I think I could hate you Good to see Telly Savalas just before he hit the big time in "Dirty Dozen". I did suspect what might happen - entertaining story 8/10

'The Old Man in the Cave' - "It turns out to be Landru's big brother. Though how the hell he got in that cave is anyones guess!" Yes I thought that myself - why was it there in the first place and despite the indestructable door it was so easly dispatched! It was a good one. 7/10
    Last edited by Ralph; 26th Nov 2006 at 12:36 PM.

Wayne Guest

Did a couple of eps from the last disc last night, & the rest this morning.

'Stopover in a Quiet Town' - A better tale from the pen of Waltons creator Earl Hamner. Quite an enjoyable ep, even though it soon becomes obvious what's going on. The ending reminded me of the end of the classic Trek episode: 'The Squire of Gothos' - almost word for word the same as when Trelane's parents find him.
    Nancy Malone seemed very familiar to me, but i couldn't place her. Perhaps just wishful thinking on my part, as she was such an attractive woman. 7.5/10

'The Encounter' - A good 2 hander ep with nice portrayals from Neville Brand & George Takei (Mr.Sulu), who's voice i recognised even before we actually see him on screen. He does a great job of playing a young japanese man who encounters a hardend WW2 veteran, in possession of a samuri sword..... It's the performances that really make this one. 8/10

'Mr Garrity and the Graves' - A western setting here is the backdrop for this story of an elaborate con trick. Watchable, but nothing special. 6/10

'The Brain Center at Whipples' - Mr Serling's take on automation, & machines taking over men's jobs. Pretty good ep. Not outstanding but enjoyable enough, with some decent performances. I liked the ending, too. 7.5/10

'Come Wander With Me' - Quite a different episode. Very surreal, with a spooky atmosphere, But not the strongest of stories all the same. 6.5/10

'The Fear' - A slightly familiar alien invasion themed story that's a basis for saying something about human fears & perceptions. Not an awesome ep, but some nice dialogue from Serling's pen, coupled with earnest performances make it an enjoyable ep. I liked the 'alien' too! 8/10

'The Bewitchin' Pool' - Sadly, i found this final Twilight Zone episode (another one from Waltons creator Earl Hamner) one of the weakest of the season. Not terrible, but just not very inspiring. 5/10

So there we are then; the end of the original series of The Twilight Zone, which was an ongoing thread for many months on the old forum.
    There were 2 or 3 really great episodes in this final season, but although i think it's a stronger season than it's predecessor that suffered somewhat because of the 50min format; I did get a sense whilst watching some of these eps that the show was starting to repeat ideas. I do think that it was right not to go for a 6th season, because i do feel that the show had run it's course at 5 seasons. I would say that this season isn't quite as strong as the first 3, (no 10/10 scores - the highest being a 9.5/10, & only a couple of 9/10 scores) but better than S4.
    Rod Serling in particular wrote many (the majority in fact) of these eps, & i think he's given us many classics amongst them. He's such a great writer with a real flair for poetic dialogue, & in the Twilight Zone he created a classic series which was so full of imagination. Thank you for that Mr Serling!
    Finally some rankings for season 5 then.

Uncle Simon
    The Long Morrow
    Nightmare at 20,000 Feet
    Living Doll
    The Jeopardy Room
    The Masks
    The Encounter
    The Old Man in the Cave
    The Fear
    Ceasar and Me
    Number 12 Looks Just Like You
    Queen of the Nile
    Sounds and Silences
    The Brain Center at Whipples
    Stopover in a Quiet Town
    Spur of the Moment
    In Praise of Pip
    Steel
    I am the Night - Colour Me Black
    Ring a ding Girl
    Night Call
    Probe 7 Over and Out
    The 7th is Made Up of Phantoms
    Come Wander With Me
    You Drive
    Ninety Years Without Slumbering
    Mr Garrity and the Graves
    The Last Night of a Jockey
    A Short Drink From a Certain Fountain
    Black Leather Jackets
    The Self Improvement of Salvadore Ross
    A Kind of Stopwatch
    The Bewitchin' Pool
    An Occurence at Owl Creek Ridge
    From Agnes With Love

Wayne Guest

C'mon Ralph, You slacker!

I'm just about to start the last disc but I've got to erect my tree first

Wayne Guest

Last disc!!
    You haven't been keeping us up to date with your views!

Er yeah I'll admit it I've been a lazy sod....

Wayne Guest

And you're the only other contributor as well.

I'm just about to start the last disc but I've got to erect my tree first
    Oh my!

Well it's been a few weeks since I watched these and I reckon if they're still memorable then those are the best ones....OK let's see...where did I leave off...

Uncle Simon - definitely memorable and an enjoyable one - these two characters seem to deserve each other and the mutual hatred is clearly evident - good outcome as the miserable old Uncle's invention continues the misery... This is indeed worthy of a high score 8.5/10

Probe 7, Over and Out - memorable again - good atmosphere leaves you intrigued I reckon to the end - didn't guess that twist. I'd agree with the Waynester's 7/10. Spot on this time!

The 7th Is Made Up Of Phantoms - Seemed a familiar storyline, can't remember which one but predictable I thought so I would agree as it's a bit samey just a more humble score 6/10

A Short Drink From a Certain Fountain - yeah it quickly became apparent the role's would be reversed particularly as she was so OTT nasty about their age difference 5/10

Ninety Years Without Slumbering - bit dull I thought - started to lose interest a bit just a 5/10 again

'Ring a Ding Girl' - Not fussed really about this one...just a 5/10

You Drive - "Almost like a twist on Stephen King's 'Christine', before it's time". Yes definitely - very memorable one, quite entertaining I thought but a bit predictable...I'd give it an above average 7/10

The Long Morrow - "Didn't see the twist coming in this one. I knew there'd be one but wasn't sure what it would be." Agreed! I didn't see it either - liked it a lot too - it was a good sci-fi ep as you said "Mariette Hartley (Zarabeth - 'All Our Yesterdays')" - I wondered where I saw her before...I've always found that ST ep to be an emotive one! She was perfect again for this part!
    Agreed a 9/10!

The Self Improvement of Salvadore Ross - "Pretty average fayre". I'd say so - bit below average so I'd say 5/10 too.

Number 12 Looks Just Like You - All right just a 5.5/10

Black Leather Jackets - "I think i'd rather spend an evening on Walton mountain". Fair comment! 5/10

Night Call - This is an atmospheric one as you say - didn't guess the outcome ... loved the twist at the end 6.5/10

From Agnes With Love - God this was crap! 3/10

Spur of the Moment - I liked this one and memorable - a worthy 7/10

An Occurence at Owl Creek Ridge - "This curious French production is a sort has a sort of 'guest spot' on the Twilight Zone. I didn't think very much of it, to be honest. It was very dull, & a bit Gunfighters!" Come now Wayne, nothing is as bad as that drivel Gunfighters...it's a kind of arthouse short movie...I was curious as to the outcome...I'd say 5/10 is fair.

Queen of the Nile - with it's vampish style I can see why you liked this one - it's worthy of a 6/10

What's in the Box - I liked this one - 6.5/10

The Masks - "The twist at the end was perhaps a bit obvious, but it worked well." I thin k so too 8/10 is a fair score

'I Am the Night - Colour Me Black' - I slept through this one and so haven't seen it properly - I'll have to reserve judgement...

'Sounds and Silences' - "Quite a unique episode in some ways, mainly because of an entertainly oddball performance by John McGiver, who comes across as a version of James Robertson Justice, here" ********! JRJ is great fun to watch! Not really impressed by this one.... just a 5/10.

Ceaser and Me - I thought not another dummy one - crap! Scraping in at 5/10.

The Jeopardy Room - "Excellent episode. Very well written" Maybe but it really didn't strike me as that good so I rate it a 5/10 again...

Stopover in a Quiet Town - Yeah good one - loved the atmosphere! 8/10

The Encounter - "George Takei (Mr.Sulu), who's voice i recognised even before we actually see him on screen. He does a great job of playing a young japanese man who encounters a hardend WW2 veteran, in possession of a samuri sword..... It's the performances that really make this one". Agree totally! 8/10 a fair score! The Waynester's assessment's are back on track

Mr Garrity and the Graves - "A western setting here is the backdrop for this story of an elaborate con trick. Watchable, but nothing special". What I want to know was how his "partner" suddenly disappears in the fog - I thought they cheated a bit there! As you say watchable - I'd give it 6.5/10

The Brain Center at Whipples. Man versus Machine. Good performances and the ending had to happen that way didn't it! An 8/10

Come Wander With Me - OK nothing special just a 6/10

The Fear - Liked the atmosphere in this one - good fun 8/10 is a fair score! "I liked the 'alien' too!" Yeah it was good

The Bewitchin' Pool - agreed just a 5/10

OK rankings then cos I know the Waynester loves em

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet 9.5
    The Long Morrow 9
    Uncle Simon 8.5
    Living Doll 8
    The Masks 8
    The Encounter 8
    The Brain Center at Whipples 8
    Stopover in a Quiet Town 8
    The Fear 8
    Steel 7.5
    The Old Man in the Cave 7
    Probe 7 Over and Out 7
    Spur of the Moment 7
    You Drive 7
    Night Call 6.5
    Whats in the Box 6.5 (missed out by Wayne )
    Mr Garrity and the Graves 6.5
    Queen of the Nile 6
    In Praise of Pip 6
    The 7th is Made Up of Phantoms 6
    Come Wander With Me 6
    Number 12 Looks Just Like You 5.5
    The Last Night of a Jockey 5.5
    Sounds and Silences 5
    Ceasar and Me 5
    The Jeopardy Room 5
    Ninety Years Without Slumbering 5
    Ring a ding Girl 5
    A Short Drink From a Certain Fountain 5
    Black Leather Jackets 5
    The Self Improvement of Salvadore Ross 5
    A Kind of Stopwatch 5
    The Bewitchin' Pool 5
    An Occurence at Owl Creek Ridge 5
    From Agnes With Love 3

I am the Night - Colour Me Black ?

Wayne Guest

Well done, Ralph.
    Interesting as ever to compare.

By the way the vulgar crude expression barred by the filter system was - shocking too!
    Last edited by Anthony Williams; 28th Dec 2006 at 11:21 PM. Reason: to remove profanity. please see the Code of Conduct.

Wayne Guest

By the way the vulgar crude expression barred by the filter system was - shocking too!
    Poxy, uneccesary filter.

Wayne Guest

I watched the first couple of eps of S1 of The Twilight Zone remake tonight.

'Shatterday'

Is that really Bruce Willis?
    Well, i found this a disappointing start, despite being interested to see that it was based on a story by Harlan Ellison, i found it rather slow & not very atmospheric. The concept was interesting, & it started well, but my initial intrigue wilted away to boredom after 10mins. Very talky, but ultimately not very interesting.

'A Little Peace & Quiet'

I was heartened to find this one a bit better. Not amazing, but definitely more watchable. The concept was simple, & it was a bit stretched for what was basically one idea, but it had a good ending where the woman was doomed to live in a still world of silence or watch her family become the victims of a nuclear war.

So far, it doesn't have the ambiance of the old series, but we'll see how it goes.

Well I've not watched all of them because I have tended to find them a bit bland but then maybe they do get better. Even the credits and music were a bit uninspiring I thought.

I certainly agree with your comments on "Shatterday" Wayne I was pretty much bored 10 minutes in too.

These are on a different format - there seems to be up to 3 stories in a 50 minute slot in each episode.
    Last edited by Ralph; 11th Feb 2007 at 2:24 AM.

Wayne Guest

These are on a different format - there seems to be up to 3 stories in a 50 minute slot in each episode.
    Ah! There were only 2 stories in Ep.1, but yes the next ep has 3.
    I probably do 1 ep per day, which will be 2 or 3 stories. Unless it improves radically.
    So that's TZ, Dr.Who, & Lone Gunmen all on the go at the moment. I'm getting more like you with a bit of this & a bit of that.

It's good to have a bit of this and that - variety is the spice of life afterall!

Wayne Guest

Apart from 'The Lone Gunmen'. (see 'Worshipping' thread) I watched another one today whilst pedalling. It wasn't up to much.
    I think i might donate them to you when i've finished. You're the X-Files fan after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Apart from 'The Lone Gunmen'. (see 'Worshipping' thread) I watched another one today whilst pedalling. It wasn't up to much.
    I think i might donate them to you when i've finished. You're the X-Files fan after all.
    The Lone Gunmen as you well know bears little resemblance to the X Files