Default UNIT dating finally settled!!

Okay probably not, and apologies if I'm very late to the party on this one and it's already been talked about before, but...

Having finally got round to watching the Web of Fear, I couldn't help but notice a poster for "In the Heat of the Night" on the underground wall in Episode 6. Now, despite the fact that they seem to have changed the title of the film, this is still a film that quite definitely came out in 1967 and there is no way that a poster for it would still be up even a year later. So case closed surely?

That's your case?

Firstly, if they have changed the title of the film, how on Earth can you overlook that and pretend it's the same film.

Secondly, there's a frickin alien invasion happened! How would film posters NOT be still up a year later?

Unless the evacuation of London allows two notable exceptions - the army and the people who put posters up to advertise the latest films.

Si.

To tell the truth, I've always just found it easier to believe that the UNIT stories were actually set around the time they were produced, just because of such simple things as cars looking like they belong in the 70s (rather than 80s or whatever). Of course this is just my personal preference but I find it easier to believe than any other convoluted explanations, despite anything which may actually have been stated on screen...

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    That's your case?

Firstly, if they have changed the title of the film, how on Earth can you overlook that and pretend it's the same film.

Secondly, there's a frickin alien invasion happened! How would film posters NOT be still up a year later?

Unless the evacuation of London allows two notable exceptions - the army and the people who put posters up to advertise the latest films.

Si.
    Firstly, because the poster is exactly the same as the real one and the same actors are in it. Surely the idea that, in a slightly alternate Earth, a film would be given a different title and released at the same time is more plausible than it being released 8 (or more) years later, but have exactly the same cast and poster art

Secondly, the alien invasion only began in the last few weeks at the time of the story, it's not been going on for years. This isn't the Dalek Invasion of Earth.

I still feel Mawdryn Undead is the clue to it all. The Brig's retired from UNIT by 1977. That's it all sorted.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Um, what about Jo Grant's groovy seventies mysticism and belief in the age of Aquarius? If it's set in the eighties, I'll eat my aunt's favourite hat!