Default Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

I was a huge fan of the book, it's easily in my top 10, but I had reservations when I heard there was to be an adaptation. It's such an enormous book for one thing, but also the descriptions of the magic used are just quite beautiful, and I didn't know if there could be a budget to match what was required.

But I think so far that it's stunning, quite beautiful television at it's best. I have to admit that the first episode didn't have quite so many jaw dropping moments as the second, but I thought it was superb in the way it established Strange and Norrell's world so quickly, and then the second episode had an enormous amount of fun, the scenes with the horses on the beach and the ships made of rain took my breath away, and I found myself wishing I was watching it at the cinema it was so good. The twisted ballroom of The Man with Thistle-down Hair genuinely crept me out (especially Steven desperately trying to reach Lady Pole, only to be held back) and whilst Marc Warren has to cope with some rather silly eyebrows, he's becoming more and more menacing as the show goes along.

I also think Eddie Marsden being cast as Mr Norrell is a stroke of genius, he's far more likeable than in the novel which is no bad thing at all, whilst the bloke playing Strange is top notch too.

So, um, yeah, bar Who this is the most excited I've been about a British show in years. And hopefully it will just get better and better.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I'm loving it. The book was superb but incredibly dense, so I'm loving how brilliantly they've adapted it. It looks great, it's well acted and I'm absolutely loving it.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.