Default Upload your brain to a computer

I saw this in the paper the other day...is Silence In The Library about to take a step closer to becoming reality?

The Independent

If the technology actually came to exist in your lifetime, would you use it? And if you did choose to do so, when exactly would you do it? Would you do it at the first available opportunity or wait until you knew that you were near death before doing so? Do you think it would become a means of having some sort of immortality, or do you think it would become something of a nightmare for anyone involved?

Of course, this is still totally in the fields of science fiction and speculation at the moment and I really can't see it happening for a long time, if ever. But what do you think? If you copied your brain patterns, lifetime's knowledge and memories onto a computer, would that still be you?

This guy takes 200 vitamin pills DAILY?! I would love to know which ones, and how he manages it! You'd spend an hour of your time swigging them down each day!

One of the points he makes is about technology increasing rapidly; it's not like someone will suddenly plonk an Immortality Machine in front of us and say "want to use it"? These changes will evolve out of increased healthcare and medical research. As he points out, no-body objects to cancer treatment, but isn't this extending life?

I don't know about uploading myself to a computer, but if I could prolong my life in any way then I would. Why not? Life is great!

Si.

I'd be worried that I'd upload myself to the Future Computer Equivalent of Betamax. I'd be obsolete in a few years!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Yeah, but would you know about it if you were?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'd do it on my death bed. Just so I had as many memories as possible.

But yes, I would up load my mind to a computer...but knowing my luck I'd crash or more probably be corrupted.

Far too late for that!

Ebenezer Wallis has updated his mind into an army of killer MegaLad war machines. Pay up or get thumped!

Well it could happen! Imagine if Hitler had done it!

Whatever will they think of next and how can I get it to leave me alone!

Don't upload me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    Don't upload me!!
    Is that a euphemism?

Yes.

It does raise a whole series of interesting questions
    - are you still alive if you can only talk to people, or do you need some kind of robot body to interact with people ?
    - copy yourself now, while you've still got most of your ambles or wait as long as possible . And would you update your upload if you were still alive ?
    - would you want just the knowledge you had, or link yourself to the Internet so you could know stuff you didn't know ? ( a la The Matrix )
    - would you want your upload to be able to develop and evolve ? Or stay just as you were when you uploaded ?
    - if you existed forever, might you not go crazy ? Or would you let them 'correct' any glitches to keep you sane ? And how long would it be before a friendly government started 'editing' your upload, you know, just for your own good ?
    Bazinga !

Or how long will it be before we're all uploaded into bio-mechanoid killing machines?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.