Thread: Deep Cuts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Deep Cuts

What are your favourite tracks of all time? Whether it be rock or pop, country, jazz, blues, soundtrack/incidental music or classical...it doesn't matter if it was a big hit or an obscure album track, post it here! All the better though if we manage to dig that little bit deeper than the obvious big hits...

I'll get the ball rolling with this 1982 track from Genesis. Not a hit but certainly one of their greatest songs...Home By The Sea.

One of the great unknown Queen songs (to the general public, at least!) Never released as a single, and never played live on stage, here's a brilliant little number from A Day At The Races...

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    What are your favourite tracks of all time? Whether it be rock or pop, country, jazz, blues, soundtrack/incidental music or classical...it doesn't matter if it was a big hit or an obscure album track, post it here! All the better though if we manage to dig that little bit deeper than the obvious big hits...

I'll get the ball rolling with this 1982 track from Genesis. Not a hit but certainly one of their greatest songs...Home By The Sea.

IMO one of their best tracks (esp live) with their best ever instrumental section (across keyboards, drums and guitar in equal measure)
    Bazinga !

And it was from 1983

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I've a good feeling I'm going to be stuck in this thread for some time.
    I'd like to suggest a deep cut from an album overshadowed by Dark Side of the Moon and everything they did afterwards.

This could be interesting. A lot of my favourite tracks by singers/bands have been less well known songs. So to begin with I'll start with Gypsy by Suzanne Vega from the Solitude Standing album, although the You Tube clip's picture is the Nine Objects of Desire album cover.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    And it was from 1983
    All I could remember without checking was that it was from my first year of college, ie 1982-83. Thinking about it, it was actually Three Sides Live which was out for most of that time....

A couple of good choices there, guys. Nice late-evening listening to wind down to!

My next choice is a 1969 favourite from a group better known for hits such as Proud Mary and Bad Moon Rising, a solid bit of Swamp Rock from John Fogerty with Creedence Clearwater Revival...

Next up is one of my favourite movie soundtrack moments. From Basil Poledouris epic Conan The Barbarian OST, Riddle Of Steel/Riders Of Doom.

Possibly, no probably my favourite Queen song next. Sail Away Sweet Sister from the album The Game.

And a favourite...amongst many... from The Eagles. Hotel California may their most famous song and is a rightly considered classic track, but for me Last Resort and Wasted Time are the songs I adore from the album. Wasted Time below.

Hotel California certainly merits a mention here. Not the original version, though, but rather the cracking acoustic live version from Hell Freezes Over in 1994.

Brilliant. Easily the best version of the somg, imo

This next track is easily my favourite song of the past year or so. Featuring Joe Bonamassa on guitar, gravelly-voiced Aussie Jimmy Barnes has reworked his old rock ballad Stone Cold into a classy bit of blues/soul.

The album version of this track is slightly different with Barnesy singing it as a duet with Tina Arena...still has those great horns and that fantastic Bonamassa guitarwork, though...

One of my favourite Fleetwood Mac songs now...Stevie Nicks on lead vocals here on Sisters Of The Moon from 1979's Tusk

Another Eagles track I love. Certainly one of the lesser known gems on their first album. Take the Devil.

I love Fleetwood Mac, but it's not such an unheard of song from them I'm afraid, but still my favourite. Seven Wonders.

Another two good picks there, Paul. I think that debut Eagles album is under-rated, although Side 2 of the album is certainly stronger than the patchier Side 1. And I agree with Seven Wonders, it's one of the highlights of Tango In The Night

Sticking with the Eagles (sort of) for the moment...from those wilderness years after their bitter split and before their hugely successful reunion, here's a 1987 track which gave fans at the time hope for the future and which would have fitted perfectly onto any Joe Walsh-era Eagles album, even though it isn't by any member of the group. However, it features Joe Walsh on lead guitar and alongside Randy Meisner and Timothy B Schmit on backing vocals. Here's Richard Marx with his debut single, Don't Mean Nothing...not a hit here in the UK, but a bighit in America partly because of the video...I remember tuning into Casy Kasem's late night show, America's Top 10, back in the day just hoping to catch a glimpse of that blonde...I think I was in love... Marx obviously was, I found out years later that she became his wife! Lucky guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    So to begin with I'll start with Gypsy by Suzanne Vega from the Solitude Standing album...
    I love that track too.

Here's one of a few 'deep cuts' I discovered via Dennis Potter's The Singing Detective....

More great singles than you can shake a stick at, but this is probably my favourite.

And here's one from Ella Fitzgerald. From an underrated (imo) album with Count Basie with arrangements from Quincy Jones comes this nugget. A relatively little known song (which she also recorded when she was much younger), she knock this one out of the park!

“If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

The Mills Brothers...that's a blast from the past! My dad used to play that song all the time when I was a teenager into rock music, and of course I'd be too embarrassed to say that I secretly liked it! A great song though, one which I can appreciate much more these days

And while we're on the subject of older music discovered from a tv series, here's a favourite of mine...Bix Beiderbecke's Cryin' All Day

Here's the version of the same track, recorded by Frank Ricotti and Kenny Baker, used for the tv series...

The eponymous Californication was the main hit from the Red Hot Chillipeppers seventh studio album. However, it's Scar Tissue that would get my vote as the best song both on the album and by the band as a whole.

And as a bit of a curveball, I really love the next song. Willie Dixon - Walking the Blues

And one of my favourite songs of all time by The Band - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.

Three good choices there, Paul!

Next up from me, George Thorogood's great cover version of John Lee Hooker's One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer...

A brilliant duet now from two music legends...Seven Spanish Angels by Ray Charles and Willie Nelson

I've liked Portishead for a long time, but have to be in a certain type of mood to listen to their music. Roads is IMO the best song on their Dummy album.