WhiteCrow Guest

Default Jordan - mother of the year!?!

What kind of strange sick world do we live in ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6454103.stm

Glamour model Jordan - real name Katie Price - has taken the title of Celebrity Mum of the Year.

In winning the accolade she beat shortlisted contenders Kate Moss, Jade Goody and Heather Mills McCartney.
    So she was up against a junkie, a racist and the Queen of Evil for this award? She probably was the best of a VERY bad bunch.

Wayne Guest

What is the point of such an award, anyway?

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    What is the point of such an award, anyway?
    To sell more copies of HEAT/OK/HELLO?

Dave Lewis Guest

This is a dreadfully inaccurate report from the BBC - my Mum has won this award for the last thirty one years.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    To sell more copies of HEAT/OK/HELLO?
    Well done. That is the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lewis View Post
    This is a dreadfully inaccurate report from the BBC - my Mum has won this award for the last thirty one years.

Your Mum is a celebrity?
    Then again, i guess all our mothers are celebrities in the eyes of their sons.
    Although mine hasn't opened any supermarkets or nightclubs, or has an autobiography languishing in the bargain bins at Waterstones.
    As far as i know.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Your Mum is a celebrity?
    Is Jade?

Jade who?

This just makes a mockery of those celebrity parents who try and act responsibly with their children and don't make an arse of themselves whenever the cameras are watching
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

absolute travesty.

firstly, why was her child allowed near a bath on his own at the age of four!?!?

secondly, that child was born blind (as well as with other deformities) due to her irresponsible actions whilst pregnant (drinking and being on drugs)

if she's a responsible mother, then I'm the Pope.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Trudi G Guest

I would have said the same as you guys a couple of years back, but my opinions on her have shifted a little. I think she's grown up quite a bit, and really does love her children and tries to do the best for them. Whether she deserves the title 'Celebrity Mum Of The year' is debatable, as i'm sure there are plenty of other women who would deserve this award, but don't have such a high profile, but i don't think by any means she's a terrible mum.
    As for accidents happening, Christian has split his head open in the bath, fallen down a flight of stairs twice, headbutted a radiator while running round at my sisters, and i accidently catapulted him headfirst onto concrete from his buggy, when the wheel caught on a step, and he wasn't strapped in. My sisters little boy fell off the sofa and broke his arm - all of this happened when the children were under the age of four.
    Unfortunately up to a certain age children have no idea that what they are doing could be hazardous, and sometimes neither do the parents!

fair enough Trudi, but the child who ended up scalding himself in an unsupervised bath surely should have been under better supervision, especially since he's blind?

Ant x

Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----

Trudi G Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Williams View Post
    fair enough Trudi, but the child who ended up scalding himself in an unsupervised bath surely should have been under better supervision, especially since he's blind?

Ant x
    ' On New Year's Eve he was rushed to hospital after he was scalded, having climbed into an empty bath and turned on the hot tap. '

The bath was empty - he climbed in and turned the tap on himself - i'm afraid these things do happen with children.

I agree with Trudi. You can't keep an eye on the all the time and as Trudi says they have no idea about whats dangerous or not. A while ago I absently put a hot cup of tea down on a table forgeting that William could reach it. I looked away for a second and there was a scream and the little blighter had grabbed the cup and poured it all over himself. Thankfully he was ok but it does only take a second.

hmmm I guess not being a parent, I don't realise all the potential accidents that could happen and just frown saying "pah... parents should be more responsible"

still doesn't change the fact that Jordan shouldn't be Celebrity Mother of the Year, when there are much better candidates who have been completely overlooked...

----

Do we know for sure that her sons disabilities were caused by her partying whilst pregnant?

I don't think anyone can prove that and I think it's a bit harsh to accuse her of it.

Wayne Guest

Nevertheless, if a woman drinks/smokes/takes drugs whilst pregnant, that increases the chance of damaging her own baby growing inside her. It's still a gamble. What kind of mother would want to gamble with her future child's health? Surely this is irresponsible at least? Especially in this day & age when we know so much more about the potential risks.
    Accidents in the home are a different thing altogether. It's inevitable that accidents will happen, It's unavoidable. But willful ignorance is another matter.
    *disclaimer:
    I don't know if Jordan did drink & take drugs whilst pregnant, I'm just going on Ant's opening post. But i just think in general, women that do, are thoughtless at the very least.

I agree Wayne, but I think that little (or not so little ) Harvey's disabilities are bad enough to cope with, without guilting her out by saying she caused them anyway. If she did do those things whilst pregnant then she's probably already thinking that herself.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    I agree Wayne, but I think that little (or not so little ) Harvey's disabilities are bad enough to cope with, without guilting her out by saying she caused them anyway. If she did do those things whilst pregnant then she's probably already thinking that herself.
    Fair comment. But my views were general comments, (which i stand by) rather than comments to 'guilt Jordan out'.
    For the record, I don't have any particular issues with Jordan specifically, other than the whole "celebrity" worship culture that she's part of. I don't see the need to have a 'Celebrity Mother of the Year' award in the first place. But that's not about Jordan, personally. I actually know very little about her, but i'd be prepared to cut her some slack just by virtue of the fact that she's relatively young, & we've all done stupid things when we're younger. (Well, some of us have)
    Besides, as you say, she's got enough to cope with, & if what i've read is true, she is trying to be a more responsible mother. I just think very strongly that these days it's common knowledge what damage can be done to an unborn child, & i don't think there's really any excuses for it.
    Last edited by Wayne; 28th Mar 2007 at 4:40 PM.

as I recall, she was lampooned in the press at the time for appearing in public, absolutely BLADDERED, whilst preggers.

Ant x

----

Dame Victoria Caroline Beckham accurately summed up the Jordan/Katie Price creature with just one word:

"Vile."