Default The R.E.M Thread!

I've been listening to some REM this morning and it made me consider once again how excellent they are.

I decided to check and apparently there is a new album due this year (the songs are all written) and they have also recorded a version of Lennon's "#9 Dream" for a tribute album due out in June, which sounds like their sort of thing. I'd love to hear it! I'd love to know how the storyline ends.

Any other REM fans out there, and what's your favourite stuff?

Si.

There was a reunion with Bill Berry for their Hall of Fame induction the other night.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6444529.stm

My current favourite REM album is 'Document'.

I'll be interested to hear their cover of #9 Dream, as it's one of my favourite Lennon songs. I think that'll suit the band very well somehow.

REM are one of my all time favourite bands. My favourite album is New Adventures in Hi-Fi. It meanders a little but its full of interetsing and diverse songs that somehow seem to sum up all the things I love about the band.

I've seen them live twice and I have to say they put on a really good show!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

"Hi Fi" is what I'm listening to today. It's an album which I keep coming back to, and my latest favourite songs are "Leave" and "So Fast So Numb". Really good stuff.

I need to get "Around the Sun" out next week!

Si.

So fats, ASo Numb is one of my favourites too, and that album has the perfect closing song in Electrolite... and of course the marevloous Bittersweet Me too!

Around the Sun isn't too bad- just a bit samey and ploddy. Leaving New York is one of their best though!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I recall really trying hard with "Around the Sun" because I knew it was supposed to be crap, and it's true bits of it arn't much good. But some really strong songs emerge after a while although I'll have to wait til I've re-listened to it next week to say which ones.

"Electrolite" is lovely. Good as HiFi is, it's blatantly obvious which four songs were recorded in studio at the end and which were knocked off on tour, and I often wonder what the album would have been like if it had all been done in studio.

"I'm outta here..."

Si.

#9 Dream is on youtube, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TFKNdcYRJg

And available to buy digitally from Amnesty International's 7digital site along with other Lennon covers by such folks as The Cure, The Postal Service, Snow Patrol and Barenaked Ladies.

http://www.7digital.com/stores/listing.aspx?shop=163

I hear it's on iTunes too.

The song features a certain long-lost member back doing what he used to.
    explodes

Electron Blue is a very good song from Around The Sun.

More on REM later
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!