Default Bucking the trend?

I was surprised at the result of the Last 70's companion standing thread. I honestly thought that Sarah would win as she is, arguably, the most popular companion of the classic series. But not, as it seems, here on Planet Skaro. The game saw Sarah voted out before Leela and the Brigadier.

So, it got me wondering. The result sort of "bucks the trend". So, is there anything else, Doctors, companions, stories that buck the trend for you? Is there anything that is deemed really popular in the Whoniverse that you don't like?
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Obviously, I'm one of those who voted out Sarah as I've always considered the character to be overrated. There are a few other areas where I suppose I buck the trend. Stories: Brain of Morbius and Caves of Androzani stand out as stories that are generally extremely well thought of that I have very little time for. Doctor: I never really took to the last couple of incumbents. Matt Smith was OK as the Doctor but the stories let him down whilst Tennant had better stories but I didn't like his character. Going the other way, there are a lot of stories I really have a fondness for that area't particularly popular with Space Museum, Battlefield, Four to Doomsday and Android Invasion being key examples of me bucking another trend.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I have never understood why City of Death is so popular. Its a decent enough story but it sees Tom at his worst. It only got the high ratings due to a strike on ITV.

Also, Jon's first season is pretty awful but the stories from that era are held in very high regard within fandom.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

I'm with Paul regarding Matt Smith...a good Doctor despite being let down with the quality of many of his stoies. I was never much of a Tennant fan, either. I don't know whether not liking McCoy bucks the trend, or not...I know that there are many McCoy fans among DW fandom (and here on PS in particular), but he's not so well-regarded by the general public. Hartnell is one of my favourite Doctors, but he always seems to come low in any polls. I love The Keys Of Marinus, for some reason, as well as The Krotons...neither of which are particularly well-regarded. I'm not a big fan of Genesis Of The Daleks, or Caves Of Androzani...both are decent, solid stories but they leave me cold. Not stories which I go back to often...I love S17 (apart from Destiny Of The Daleks) possibly because Tom's at his worst. Loads of OTT stuff (which I don't usually like, and admittedly hated at the time) but which has grown on me over the years...

I can't buck the trend with Sarah Jane, though. She was always one of my favourites as well.

I like The Krotons. And The Dominators. And The Tenth Planet. Please don't hurt me... And for some reason I've never been overly fond of Sarah Jane either.

The Keys Of Marinus is actually my favourite Terry Nation script and story over the Daleks.
    Colin Baker was miscast for television, I'm sorry. And it also attracted like a black hole terrible bit parts in "Attack of the Cybermen".
    I don't give a toss about the continuity either.
    Aww, nnggg... I also think the Brigadier and UNIT are shit.
    I'll have to post now as this is really brings out the emotions and best quit wile ahead!

I've always liked Four To Doomsday.....

I've always liked Face of Evil.

Face of Evil is great.

Blink, of course, is terribly overrated. As overrated as Pyramids of Mars.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It'd be a dull old world if we all agreed, or even worse agreed with the 'received wisdom' handed down to us.

I for one thought Donna and Amy were the worst companions of New Who.
    Bazinga !

What a load of buckers we are!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    It'd be a dull old world if we all agreed, or even worse agreed with the 'received wisdom' handed down to us.

I for one thought Donna and Amy were the worst companions of New Who.
    I agree about Amy. I disliked her from the very start

Don't agree about Donna - I thought she was fantastic! But hey, Vive La Difference!

Amy was the prettiest of the companions, but really horrible as a character.
    And what the hell, I've always hated City of Death. Well written and good performances, but I'm still not into it how The Doctor is for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Face of Evil is great.

Blink, of course, is terribly overrated. As overrated as Pyramids of Mars.
    You'll have worked out by now, Si, that I agree with two-thirds of this post.

Depends which two thirds

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

The Lads know...