View Poll Results: Cats or Dogs - which are best?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Miaow! Cats.

15 62.50%
  • Woof! Dogs.

9 37.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Friday Poll - No.2: Cats or Dogs Face Off

Cats?

or Dogs?

Miaow?

or Woof?

Which do you prefer?

NB sorry about the large pics
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I've been controversial and gone for cats simply because they are less scary. I actually prefer nice dogs to nice cats, but there are too many nasty and aggressive dogs. At least with a cat you know it definately won't bite you because cats are too selfish to worry about attacking you. Doing so would cause them to expend energy they could otherwise be using to snooze.

Si.

Dogs. I don't like cats much.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I can't really vote, there should be a vote for both.
    Cats are nice in that you can pet them & then you can ignore them & they are fine with that, but dogs are truly mans best friend & are more loyal & forgiving than cats & are more fun.

So I'd have to vote for both.

Wayne Guest

Cats!
    They're intelligent, athetically pleasing creatures, & you don't see cat shit on the streets do you?
    Dogs are dumb, smelly, & slather a lot.
    Last edited by Wayne; 16th Mar 2007 at 4:02 PM.

Captain Tancredi Guest

I'm a cat person. Dogs have very little self-respect; throw a stick and a dog will return it to you. A cat will take the line that it's your stick, you threw it and you if you want it that much you can darn well pick it up yourself.

I love both, but I'd say dog's just edge it for me, my dog Capi was just the best dog in the world (I know all owner's think that, but he really was! ) He was really friendly to everyone, but once protected me when some kids from my school were being a bit twatty (infact he growled a bit and they got freaked out and avoided me ever since), and if I was ever in a bad mood he got all confused and upset and did his best to comfort me, bless his ickle little socks. He had boundless energy too, and just loved being around people. Aww.

I'd love to have another dog, and probably two cats, if and when I get settled down, but alas that's going to be a fair old while off yet.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Pip Madeley Guest

Cats. They're selfish creatures in many ways, but they're much easier to look after, and they're cute as a button! They also don't stink the place up like dogs do. They don't jump on you the moment you get in either, or slobber all over. And a miaow is nicer to the ears than a loud growl or bark.

And as mentioned, if you give them a litter tray, they'll crap in that and neatly cover it over with the litter. That shows intelligence and dignity. While, in my experience, a dog will crap & wee all over your kitchen floor and leave you to clean it up.

How can anyone not vote for this?

I'm a bit worried about the headgear - is there a Klu Klux Klan for Kats?

I've gone for cats, because the voices told me to.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I'm a bit worried about the headgear - is there a Klu Klux Klan for Kats?
    Well now you mention it, she doesn't really get on with the black cat from a couple of doors away...

I've voted for dogs because I want a draw.

Cats for me

Dogs give homes a musty Doggy smell which isn't good

Dogs drool over you

Cats clean up after themselves which cannot be said of Dogs

However Cats are likely to destroy your furniture so as long as you don't mind your worldly possessions scratched to hell you're OK.

Oh and cats bring you back presents you'd rather not have..

Needless to say I have neither!

But Cats edge it because they seem cuter and cleaner pets.

It looks like we've got a real underdog here. I know Cats are self-cleaning, but they don't offer unconditional love in the way that Dogs do. Cats more kind of tolerate your presence as long as you feed them.

A dog is a man's best friend, apparently. Though that may depend on how badly off you are for mates.

You couldn't imagine a Cat version of Lassie. Lassie would go bounding back to the farmhouse the moment that Timmy fell down the well, full of urgency, life and vitality. A Cat would simply sit somewhere near the well and clean itself while Timmy's bones rotted away. If Timmy was lucky, the cat might cough a furball up and spit it at him.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Cats clean up after themselves which cannot be said of Dogs
    You've never had a cat of your own have you? Cats cough up hair balls & sick just where ever the hell they feel like. And they are just as messy as dogs. At least a dog will let you know if it wants to go out to go to the toilet, cats will just wee & poo anywhere they feel like. Cats only use litter trays because its the nearest thing to a natural toilet to them that they can find.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    You've never had a cat of your own have you?
    I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    And they are just as messy as dogs.
    Cats will just wee & poo anywhere they feel like. Cats only use litter trays because its the nearest thing to a natural toilet to them that they can find.
    Not in my experience. We had 3 cats where i was living, one of which was mine. I had mine from a very young kitten & he used the litter tray from the very first time i put him on it, & after that he seemed naturally drawn to it whenever he wanted to go. And as soon as he was old enough he would want to go outside & do his biz like the other 2 cats always did.
    When i moved & took him with me, i put a catflap in so that he could go outside when he wanted to. After that, i didn't even need the litter tray anymore. If you've got a cat flap, your cat has total freedom & there's never a problem. (I will concede that they do sometimes sick up a fur ball, though)I've seen countless examples of this. I don't think cats should neccesarily be confined to the house, anyway. They like to go outside from what i've seen of 'em.
    As you can tell, i'm a cat person. Don't get me wrong, i'd never see any harm done to a dog of course, but i'd never have one. You can usually smell a house that has a dog in it. Especially if it's a big dog. Naturally the owners are oblivious to it because they live with it every day, but a visitor will usually notice. (winding up the dog lovers)
    I'm not really a fan of dogs am i? I bet they make good kebabs though.

I agree with Wayne, there definitely is a distinctly doggy-smell in houses that have dogs. You do get used to it, but I don't really like it! (Sorry Mitch!)

Well I've just seen a movie called "The Uncanny" and I'm not sure I like cats any more!

You couldn't imagine a Cat version of Lassie. Lassie would go bounding back to the farmhouse the moment that Timmy fell down the well, full of urgency, life and vitality. A Cat would simply sit somewhere near the well and clean itself while Timmy's bones rotted away. If Timmy was lucky, the cat might cough a furball up and spit it at him.

Exactly! Dog's actually care about you, cat's only use people...I know...I've been there...When I still lived with my Mum, my cat Pixie pretended she loved me...Everytime I gave her food from my own very plate she'd purr contentedly...and then I move out and when I come back to visit her she'd forgotten I ever existed...And would only show any affection if everyone was out and she couldn't be seen doing so (tis bizarrely true, that)...

Still, I really shouldn't have forced her to watch Sophie Ellis Bextor on the tv as much as I did...But I thought showing her a half cat half human thing might scare her so much that she'd go back to liking me again, in the vague hope that I'd never show it to her again.

It didn't work. Sure, it freaked her out. But it gave her yet another reason to ignore me.

Or something.

"RIP Henchman No.24."

WhiteCrow Guest

I don't buy into this whole "cats are intelligent" rubbish.

There is a unique working relationship between man and dog which no other animal with the possibility of the horse can come close to. Police dogs, Mountain rescue dogs, Guide dogs, dogs who find drugs, dogs who find people trapped under rubble, sled dogs.

And cats ... well don't.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    I don't buy into this whole "cats are intelligent" rubbish.

There is a unique working relationship between man and dog which no other animal with the possibility of the horse can come close to. Police dogs, Mountain rescue dogs, Guide dogs, dogs who find drugs, dogs who find people trapped under rubble, sled dogs.

And cats ... well don't.
    At least cats don't fetch babies out of their prams/cots & savage them to death.

Dogs suck!

I like both, but I voted for dogs because I think I feel more connection with dogs... they need you and you get so much love back. Cats are great to pet, but the relationship you have with a cat isn't so mutually dependant. All this said, horses are still better than both of them!

At least cats don't fetch babies out of their prams/cots & savage them to death.
    They would if they were big enough. A tiger would.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    They would if they were big enough. A tiger would.
    But Tiger's aren't pets!