Default Top 10 Classic Series Stories

It's been a while since we've had any lists...

It's maybe a pretty basic idea for a thread, and we've covered this ground in various different ways over the years. But tastes change...and sometimes it's good to go back to the basics. So what are your Top 10 Original Series Doctor Who stories, and why?

1 Genesis of the Daleks

It's simply my most watch story. Its dark and broody atmosphere is something that is integral to Dr Who for me. I've never tired of it. I was mesmerised in 1975 as a 12yr old, and the christmas omnibus repeat(s) was too exciting for people under a certain age to comprehend, in the days before videos, satellite tv, and the internet.
    Wisher's performance as Davros has never been bettered. Sorry Terry, you did a fine job, but you lacked the nuance of the original. There are lots of other reasons, but it would turn into full blown review, and I don't have time.

2 Pyramids of Mars

As always, nostalgia plays a bit part, but fundamentally this is the type of Who that I have the most affection for. It goes hand-in-hand with my love for Hammer Horror which developed concurrently with my passion for Dr Who.

3 Planet of the Spiders

A far from perfect story, but again nostalgic affection trounces its flaws every time.
    An an 11yr old, I was mortified that Jon was leaving, but this story once again has that special atmosphere about it that captures everything I love about DW. I dearly wish there could've somehow been just one more season of Pertwee with Sladen, before ROBOT came along. That said, the regeneration scene is one the story's most fine and touching moments.

4 Terror of the Autons

Oh how I remember this story. The only Who story that ever gave me a bona fide nightmare. Just the concept of everyday things like chairs and plastic flowers coming to life to deliver death by suffocation. Chilling stuff! And of course the introduction of the Master, who became such important part of this period of Dr Who, played to perfection by Roger Delgado whose performance was never equalled, let alone bettered.

5 Seeds of Doom

Such a cracking horror-edged thriller with such a memorable villain. It may have borrowed from Day of the Triffids and Creeping Vine, but for me that's all the more reason to like it!

6 The Silurians

In the battle of the 7-parters, I'd take this over Inferno and Ambassadors any day. Unlike the other two, the plot develops with very little repetition and padding, and fans out into a well-rounded story that I find easy to watch in its entirety. Something I've never quite managed with the other two. And much as the design of the Sea Devils trounces the Silurians, The Sea Devils, despite the bonus of Roger Delgado, is an inferior re-run that seems to last longer despite being an episode shorter.

7 The Green Death

I'm running out of ways to say it, but ultimately my comments about my Top 3 apply equally to the this story. It's all about atmosphere and tone. And nostalgia.

8 Planet of the Daleks

I know some people consider this a dull rehash of The Daleks, (and I can see why) But I just love it because of all the Dalek action. It brings out my inner 10 year old. (Although it doesn't take much)

9 Spearhead From Space

The first Dr Who story I ever saw, at the age of 6? How could this not be in my Top 10? For all the reasons cited before. Atmosphere, tone, realism, etc...

10 Brain of Morbius

Just fighting off Terror of the Zygons for the No.10 spot. (Today at least). Reasons? See Pyramids of Mars.

Some excellent choices there Wayne, although I don't think any of them are going to make my list! It may be a different set of stories, but one thing definitely in common is the inescapable nostalgia element - I can't see my top two ever being topped for me, but objectively I can see that neither is the best ever Doctor Who story ever made. So with that 'get out clause' firmly in place, we know how this is going to start don't we?

1. Castrovalva
    Even now, it still feels fresh and new, it still recalls the sense of excitement that it had in 1982. I love Doctor Who most, I think, when it suddenly feels brand new again - and this was probably the first time I really experienced that. (I also think it's a good story, and Davison is superb throughout.)

2. Logopolis
    The most quotable Doctor Who story ever...? The mighty Tom dies saving literally the entire universe - and along the way knocking out doomladen dialogue at a rate of knots, and somehow selling it to us with absolute conviction. One of very few stories I could watch in a single sitting even today.

3. Talons of Weng-Chiang
    It oozes quality out of every pore, there's a touch of nostalgia as one of the first stories I ever saw, but also as one of the first video releases I watched over and over again. Never mind the Zygma Experiment, this is a success, a glorious success!!!

4. Remembrance of the Daleks
    Just extraordinary, a show on the backfoot, in its dying days, suddenly produces a glorious romp such as this - a glorious triumph, nostalgic and forward-looking at the same time, and setting out the Doctor's stall really for the final couple of years.

5. City of Death
    Just.... superb!

6. The Androids of Tara
    In the Williams/Hinchcliffe 'debate' I'm on the Williams side. This is a romp from start to finish, and it's just a delight.

7. Frontier in Space
    Yes, I'm as surprised as anyone - after years of being sold the lie that this was just a padded warm-up act for Planet of the Daleks, it turns out to be a story that I love...

8. The Mutants
    ...As is this. CSO may be its worst enemy, but ignore that. There's so much stuff shoved in here, it never feels like a saggy six-parter.

9. The War Games
    An epic finale to 60s Who, to black & white, to Troughton, almost to the show itself. A confident, clever, moving, epic of the first order.

10. The Ark in Space
    To be fair, it could have been anything in tenth place - there's so many good ones, I find it harder and harder as time goes on to pick a top ten. The top two though, they're fixed. And they're absolutely splendid!!

Some great choices there from both of you...a number of those stories make it into my own Top 10 too. It's been so long since I made one of these lists, and it's a bit harder deciding once I started thinking about it...trying to narrow it down to just 10 is no easy task! 5 or 6 choices were easy, but after that I'm trying to decide what makes the cut!

Here we go, then. I've surprised myself by some of the great stories which didn't quite make my list, but if I'm being honest...

1. Pyramids Of Mars

This has to be my most-watced story. I love evrything about it...it has a great atmosphere, it looks pretty stylish and both the leads are terrific in this. Like Wayne says, nostalgia plays a big part here and probably my growing love at the time of the Hammer horrors, as well.

2. The Daleks
    The story which, when released on VHS, reinvigorated my love for the series. I had been drifting away from the series during the later Colin Baker/Sylvester McCoy seasons, but this release reminded me of everything I truly loved about the series. Even though I had never actually seen this story before, it felt like an old friend welcoming me back into the fold. Yes, it maybe flags a bit in the middle, but it's still a cracker of a story and the main cast are all great. Even Carole Anne Ford.

3. Day Of The Daleks
    Pure nostalgia here. I always loved this story of a group of people trying to change history, long before it became a commonly accepted theme courtesy of the Terminator movies. Can't say that I ever noticed that there were only 3 Daleks, or that they had poor voices, way back in the day.

4. Horror Of Fang Rock

I love the claustrophobic feel to this. It's hard to believe that this isn't a Hinchcliffe story.

5. The Invasion
    My favourite Cyberman story. The lack of them in the early episodes only enhances their role once they finally appear.

6. The Romans
    This is how comedy in Doctor Who should be done. One of my favourite Hartnells, and the change of pace from the normally deadly serious historicals is a nice change of pace.

7. The Sea Devils
    Everything Wayne says above is true, but I still prefer this to the Silurians for some reason. I'll put it down to nostalgia, again.

8. The Hand Of Fear
    Mybe not the greatest story, but it gets off to a great start and I love how the Doctor leaves Sarah Jane stranded a long way from home...

9. Terror Of The Zygons
    A great story, helped by the fact that it's the last real UNIT story and some really fantastic looking aliens...just let down a bit by Nessie, though...

10. The Mind Of Evil

To be honest, I don't know why this story is so high on my list. A good, strong story which also features Delgado...I just really like it. Period. To be honest, it was a tough choice between this and Frontier In Space...

Interesting to see both your choices. A couple of surprises in seeing The Mutants and The Romans placed so highly. Though I would'nt have been surprised if the latter had appeared on Andrew's list.
    Androids of Tara is also a surprise. Not a story I dislike actually, but have to confess to being surprised to see it in anyone's Top 10.

1. The Robots of Death
    First VHS and I can't defeat the sentimentality!

2. Remembrance of the Daleks
    Really good memories of school when it was broadcast.

3. The Keys of Marinus
    As I said in another thread, I think this is Terry Nation's greatest story!

4. The Caves of Androzani
    The best final story for a Doctor.

5. Day of the Daleks
    I'll even take no complications and the original voice, it was this or Death To The Daleks but Day won out!

6. The Enemy of the World
    And if it hadn't been released, it would probably be The Seeds Of Death. Shame it never got discovered sooner.

7. The Brain of Morbius
    My comfort food Tom Baker. Robots of Death and the other Who stories give similar effect, but this one more "soothing".

8. Spearhead From Space
    Still unbeaten as the greatest regeneration story until Power of the Daleks gets discovered.

9.The Seeds of Death
    Even if Base storylines recycled, this was their final stab at under siege plots, wasn't it>
    It really got loads right more than Tomb of the Cybermen

10. The Happiness Patrol
    Seriously. Kandyman included. Brilliant television!

Thanks for reading and I'm glad I made the post as opposed to posting a list without giving reasons.

Great thread, MacNimon!

In no particular order (well apart from the first one):-

1. Genesis of the Daleks

The story that made the most impression on me as a kid, and firmly enhanced by playing the album time and time and time again. Michael Wisher's performance is truly excellent.

2. The Mind of Evil

A recently discovered classic for me with Pertwee on top form.

3. Terror of the Zygons

The design of the Zygons, their ship .... and throw in a good doppelgänger story and there you have it - a classic story. Episode 1 cliffhanger is how you do cliffhangers!

4. The Daleks

Okay maybe it could do with being 2 episodes shorter, but it's still a personal fave of mine.

5. Kinda

It was weird and disturbing when I first saw it, and it still has that impact on me!

6. The Mind Robber

Really inventive stuff here, and Pat really does twinkle in this story.

7. The Robots of Death

A terrific story, once again firmly locked into my childhood viewing. Oh those glowing red eyes....

8. State of Decay

For ages I thought I was the only one who loved this story. But it appears I'm not alone. Hoorah!

9. Carnival of Monsters

First saw this as part of the "Five Faces" season and thought it was a very inventive story.

10. Remembrance of the Daleks

Yes I know, a McCoy story in my Top 10 But come on, it's great and (thankfully) made me fall back in love with the programme again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some good choices there. Even No.10.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    5. Day of the Daleks
    I'll even take no complications and the original voice, it was this or Death To The Daleks but Day won out!
    Yes, Day and Death were the first two BBC vids I bought. Double nostalgia! It's a tough call, but Death shades it for me.

I've not done this for a while...

1. City of Death
    Absolutely marvellous!

2. The Five Doctors
    The ultimate in anniversary stories- this one I can quote by heart, it's got so many great scenes, so many lovely people back and is perhaps the most perfect celebration you could imagine. Wonderful!

3. Castrovalva
    Absolutely splendid. Just lovely- Davison is great from the off, Ainley is having fun, there's TARDIS scenes galore, beautifully summery filming and a lovely central conceit

4. Full Circle
    Terribly underrated- I just adore it. Great monsters, stylish direction and again, a lovely idea at its heart.

5. Carnival of Monsters
    As I grow older, I appreciate this one all the more. Witty and clever!

6. Web of Fear
    The ultimate base under siege story. Troughton at his height. Lethbridge-Stewart. Love it!

7. The Aztecs
    The ultimate historical. Hartnell and his original crew at their very best.

8. Curse of Fenric
    The narrative may be a little muddled, but the atmosphere is chilling and there's some fabulous moments. McCoy was never better. The movie version on the DVD is wonderful.

9. The Leisure Hive
    Well no-one loves it quite as much as I do. The 80s arrive with a bang and I just love it. The music is wonderful.

10. Genesis of the Daleks
    Some stories are classics for a reason. I don't think I have to explain this one. The audio version remains the definitive one for me...

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Interesting to see both your choices. A couple of surprises in seeing The Mutants and The Romans placed so highly. Though I would'nt have been surprised if the latter had appeared on Andrew's list.
    Oddly (or not) I've never been a big fan of The Romans (sorry Mac). To me it's more slapstick than wit, and it just doesn't work for me.

Interesting lists there, guys. I've got to admit that stories which appear on each of your lists made up my 'bubbling under' list (it was difficult enough picking a Top 20, never mind Top 10).

I agree with you regarding The Romans, Andrew...it is more slapstick than wit, but considering just how serious the historicals were before this point, it was a breat of fresh air. I find it great fun to watch, but admittedly it was probably best that they didn't do more in that vein.

The order does change very slightly occasionally, mainly around 4th and 5th place, but this is how it currently stands.

1. Talons of Weng-Chiang
    It's got such a great atmosphere to it, looks great (apart from the rat) and has one of the best guest casts of any Doctor Who story ever. I could happily watch this story time and time again, it's that good.

2. Visitation
    The nostalgia element plays a big hand here as the story is from right in the middle of the period I would consider 'my era'. The TARDIS was a bit overcrowded in the early Davison run, but this story manages to ensure they all have a little something to do. Michael Robbins is excellent as Richard Mace and the Tereleptils a still the best monsters never to have returned IMO.

3. Web of Fear
    It started with the Target novelisation, which was my favourite of the range, and was cemented by hearing the audio a few years later. When the majority of the episodes were finally found and I got to see it in almost its entirety it just confirmed to me how great a story it is. I love Base Under Siege stories and this one just about takes top spot. The Yeti seem far more formidable in the claustrophobic setting of the underground. Must have another watch of this one soon.

4. Pyramids of Mars
    I'm not the biggest fan of Sarah as a companion, but she's absolutely great in this story. I love the Hammer Horror elements of this story in exactly the same way I don't in Brain of Morbius. Absolute classic.

5. City of Death
    Why oh why were the Jagaroth never brought back to Doctor Who? I adore this story, it has a bouquet. Tom and Lalla were so wonderful together in Season 17 and this story is the best of them.

6. Tomb of the Cybermen
    The Daleks may be the most renowned enemies, but the Cybermen have always been my favourites and especially the during the black and white years when they came across as being far creepier. Tomb's the best of them, with it's simple yet great story and chilling incidental music.

7. Dalek Invasion of Earth
    Another story that I fell in love with from originally reading the novelisation. The idea of the Daleks invading earth has been done a number of times since this story but never in a better way. It also has the first departure of a companion, and that wonderful speech from Hartnell to finish things off.

8. Daemons
    I enjoy a lot of the early Pertwee UNIT stories, and a few would be pushing for places in my Top 20, but this one manages to break into my Top 10. It's great seeing the part of the UNIT team in their civvies and Delgado is his usual excellent suavely evil self as the Master. Pure gold.

9. Moonbase
    My 2nd Cyberman story and 3rd Base Under Siege. It's a bit of a retelling on Tenth Planet but done better with better looking Cybermen and a bit more oomph to it. Another story that the novelisation steered me towards loving.

10. Remembrance of the Daleks.
    The Silver Anniversary got it's very own classic with this story. The battle between the Imperial and Renegade Daleks, the Special Weapons Dalek, the reveal of Davros under the comic strip Dalek Emperor shell, the Counter Measures team... all reasons it's such a great story.

Bubbling under: Aztecs, Inferno, Robots of Death, Horror of Fang Rock, State of Decay, Awakening and Enlightenment.