Thread: Class

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I notice there's been no word on the originally suggested BBC One repeat, presumably they want to try and give the BBC Three ratings a strong chance before it airs on terrestrial.

Anyway the main reason for the second post is I've just seen that the first episodes of Class will be online from 10am on Saturday.

(Black out curtains on standby although we have fencing to put up so that will probably take priority.)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    Black out curtains on standby although we have fencing to put up so that will probably take priority.
    I'm mildly curious to know what the black-out curtains are for?
    To shield you from the spoilers for Class - or in preparation for Halloween ?
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

It's for the annual Loughton Battle of Britain Recreation. Whoever drops a bomb nearest the offices of the MP for Epping Forest wins a prize!

It was OK but not great (then very few first episodes are) - you could have played 'team cult show bingo' and won quite quickly.
    The in-story reference to Buffy was quite telling - it's going to have to work hard to stand out in today's current climate of multi-channel availability of cult-type shows.
    Bazinga !

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    It's for the annual Loughton Battle of Britain Recreation. Whoever drops a bomb nearest the offices of the MP for Epping Forest wins a prize!
    I'm not in Loughton any more but my parents still live quite near said offices so please don't bomb them!

I really liked Class. As much as I still wish this was a series that could have replaced SJA (especially now WvA seems to be on permanent hiatus). However, by aiming this slightly older at YA it does seem to allow for genuine jeopardy whereas with SJA there was no real shocks and never any doubt that all would be well in the end.

Sent from my G620S-L01 using Tapatalk

I thought it was pretty weak unfortunately and I'd been really looking forward to it. There's potential for a decent series, and I think the kids are mostly decent actors, but the teacher woman was awful imho, way too melodramatic and stage-y, and spoilt the whole thing for me. Plus having a man who has just had his leg sliced in half hop in to save the day was all a bit silly, and the Doctor's appearance all felt a bit off to me, though I'm not quite sure why.

Ah well, I'll stick with it for a few more episodes yet, in the hope that it gets better.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

We've watched the first episode / pilot / premiere and I think I might have to reserve judgement. There was a lot that annoyed me but it looks fantastic and there's a lot of potential. The first episode of Buffy really annoyed me in a similar way and I grew to like that. Part of what annoyed me was that I hate school; I hate the way teenagers behave; and I hate proms. So that puts it on a back foot.

Random thoughts:
    I think the background of the teacher and the prince shouldn't have been revealed until later in the series. Would have been better as a mystery until the end of the season.
    The characters all have interesting places to go at the end of the first episode.
    The monsters were great. Also nice to see a bit of unnecessary gore.
    The opening titles were superb!
    Displaying text messages on screen is already an outdated effect. Bin it.
    When they said it was like the hellmouth I winced so hard that I knocked over a pot plant.

I'll keep watching but with caution.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    When they said it was like the hellmouth I winced so hard that I knocked over a pot plant.

No pot plants were harmed in the Finch household, but yes, much wincing did indeed take place!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    I'm not in Loughton any more but my parents still live quite near said offices so please don't bomb them!
    I live quite near them, so I'm sure something can be sorted out...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Also nice to see a bit of unnecessary gore.
    That can be arranged too...

I watched the second episode with vague optimism it might be better. Alas the answer is no.

So football kid sees a cleaner being eaten by a dragon and instead of rushing to get someone to help her, he goes for a shower instead. And why is he so obsessed with football anyway? It's not like he can go pro now that he's got a robot leg. Idiot.

23 minutes in and it's really dragging. I don't care about characters suffering from PTSD and moaning about their dead Dad's, I want sexy and fun action.

Game of Thrones has good dragons, couldn't they have nicked the cgi instead of the oddly cartoonish thing we're presented with here?

And now more chat about dead people, is this really what the kids find exciting today?

Ah, and the solution to killing the dragons is to talk and talk until they're bored to death. Yay!

I was a bit harsh on teacher woman in a post above, she has her little moments where she shows she can act but the script does her no favours at all.

And now lets end the episode with more chatty misery. Christ.

Sigh, it's frustrating as it has potential. It's just let down by weak dialogue and far too much dull filler.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I've seen the first 2 episodes & it's OK. That is all.

Class is to SJS what Torchwood was to Doctor Who. Says everything really.

I've had a complete change of opinion and I'm now liking alien teacher woman, but the rest of the cast are all too maudlin, each with their own personal tragedy, and I want more action, less dull, dull whining. Still, by the end of the third episode things looked a bit more optimistic, so I hope it carries on in that vein, yet if it weren't for the link to Who I don't think I'd bother with it.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    ...yet if it weren't for the link to Who I don't think I'd bother with it.
    Notwithstanding the first episode, a tenuous link it is too. But yes, it is only that link that has me watching.

I've seen Ep.2 and yep Miss Quill is deffo the best thing in it! But even gratuitous buttock shots can't really lift the other characters from being too dull. Like Tim says .... it's okay. I'll keep watching .... for now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The third episode is definitely the best so far. All those tentacles .... all that goo! And Katherine Kelly is just great!

My husband and I are really enjoying this. It seems to get better with each episode which is a lot more than could be said about the first series of Torchwood.

I didn't mind episode 4, it was still a bit rubbish but there were some fun moments, but I thought episode 5 was terrible stuff, way too shouty and angst-y and I can't say I particularly like any of the characters in it. Plus the Shadowkin were even more rubbish than usual in the latter episode unfortunately.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Sadly, it appears to have been the best choice to try it out on BBC3, given the at best mixed reviews it's had here so far.

Having watched the series finale I maintain my view that given a second series which develops more on the events of ep 8, Class still has the potential to be a much better series than Torchwood ever was ( and I really like Torchwood).

Sent from my G620S-L01 using Tapatalk

So this article suggests that the BBC aren't exactly happy with the overall less than enthusiastic reception Class has received and whilst I've enjoyed it, it's pretty clear that my husband and I are in a minority.
    Doctor Who spin off Class will get a late night slot when it airs on BBC1 Next Year

It appears that having previously agreed that they will show it at an as yet unconfirmed future date, BBC One are quite keen to bury it in the late night schedule as they aren't keen on some of the darker content (and let's face it the first episode did feature some slightly gruesome shocks).

I think the poor reception comes down to the problem I first identified when it was announced that Class was aiming at late teens and would not be suitable for younger viewers which is the same reason that Torchwood's first series almost disappeared up it's own backside (and was probably only saved by having a cliffhanger which was picked up by it's lead character returning to the mother show).

Ultimately by aiming Class at Young Adults it seems to have alienated a large swathe of the core Doctor Who audience. Class really needed to be a much more family friendly offering. If we want an adult spin off then bring back Torchwood (the two surviving leads have clearly indicated they'd do it in a heartbeat). What's really needed is a replacement for the series that sadly can't be brought back for obvious reasons which is SJA. The reasonable success of Wizards vs Aliens which is now also on hiatus showed that the format of a drama set in a school could work just as well if not better for younger viewers.

I actually enjoyed the last 3 episodes & thought them good, but the sexual nature of some of the characters/scenes left me thinking "what the hell does this have to do with the story?".

Just like Torchwood, Class seems to be adding stuff for the sake of it. Why not just write better stories than add graphic scenes for the shock value. Which is the way it appeared to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    I actually enjoyed the last 3 episodes & thought them good, but the sexual nature of some of the characters/scenes left me thinking "what the hell does this have to do with the story?".

Just like Torchwood, Class seems to be adding stuff for the sake of it. Why not just write better stories than add graphic scenes for the shock value. Which is the way it appeared to me.
    The problem I had with the relationships was how quickly the characters fell madly in love with each other, it seemed like they'd only been dating / shagging for a couple of days before they declared their undying love, which made it hard to take them seriously.

The last couple of episodes were okay I guess, and at least the finale looked pretty and that bloody box was finally used, but I don't know, bar Quill I've no real fondness for any of the characters. And despite the actually really great cliffhanger, I'm not sure if I care if the show returns or not.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

It's a bit patchy for me. I've just seen the detention / truth meteorite one and I thought it was drivel! Hopefully it'll get better from this point onwards and not dip again!