View Poll Results: What did you think of Under the Lake?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: Under the moon of love

0 0%
  • 9: Underground, overground, Wombling free

1 9.09%
  • 8: Under Pressure

7 63.64%
  • 7: Under one roof

2 18.18%
  • 6: Under the covers

1 9.09%
  • 5: Under your spell

0 0%
  • 4: Understood

0 0%
  • 3: Underachievement

0 0%
  • 2: Underwhelmed

0 0%
  • 1: Underworld

0 0%

Default Rate and Discuss: Under the Lake

Are you ready to discover whether there really are ghosts under the lake?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

That was a smashing episode. Nicely tense, Peter Capaldi pitch perfect and a great cliffhanger. Nice to have a base under sea-ge!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Now we're cooking!

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the two part opener, but it is still quite nice to have 'just' an ordinary 'Doctor turns up & there's trouble!' type story. Some good moments, and a great cliffhanger.

I really enjoyed that. That felt like a proper old-school episode. I loved the slow pace of it. Peter Capaldi was great; he very much reminded me of Tom Baker at times. I also loved the Doctor's prompt cards of what to say when he has previously been a bit rude! Great cliffhanger! Could be my favourite Capaldi episode so far.

The first half hour was wonderful, near perfect, then I felt it start to drag as it became apparent this was a two-parter and there'd be no resolution and we were heading towards a WTF timey-wimey-wibbly-wobbly cliffhanger.

As others have already said, very nice to have a straight forward linear 'turn up' adventure (to start with), and I also really enjoyed the cue cards gag. More of this, please.

My main complaint would be that, for me, the New Series just isn't very good at charecterising/casting believable 'base under siege crew/personnel'. 42, that one that was a bit like 42, Waters of Mars, Last Christmas and all the rest just don't quite do it for me.

On the whole though, best episode since Dinosaurs on a Spaceship/Flat Line. (A slightly generous perhaps) 8/10.
    Last edited by Perry Vale; 4th Oct 2015 at 1:17 PM.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lethbridge-Stewart View Post
    I really enjoyed that. That felt like a proper old-school episode. I loved the slow pace of it. Peter Capaldi was great; he very much reminded me of Tom Baker at times.
    The entire episode reminded me of classic Tom Baker Who. Limited number of people in a dangerous situation, all trapped in a location they can't get out of for whatever reason.

Although I enjoyed it this week, I couldn't help note all the similarities with Gangers two-parter and a couple of other stories they've done before. No problem if next week goes in a different direction (it looks like it does).

Why are all the girls wearing short short shorts and the men get below-the-knee jobbies?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

They put Tim and Wayne in charge, that's why! (He said, realising he hadn't noticed himself...)

Excellent start - as stated already, an old-Who-style base under seige done well. Let's see what happens next week.

8/10 so far

I enjoyed it a lot too, a solid fun story with a sharp script, which got an 8/10 from me.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I enjoyed this for most of the reasons already stated, but I found the characterisation of
    The Doctor was a bit off-the-mark - it was almost as if the writer hadn't been given the 'character traits' prompt sheet.

That's the overwhelming feeling I got whilst I was watching it, though my goldfish-like memory has since forgotten the specific reasons why!

Loved it! That kind of a story is right up my street. I was so engrossed I was surprised when the cliffhanger cam and it ended. 9/10

Such is the magic of being able to avoid spoilers, I was massively excited - easily pleased I am, certain days - that adding the Zygon story, that's a minimum three cliffhangers we're getting this year! Huzzah!

There is one way it differs from 70s Who - 45 minutes in and most of the cast is still alive. In some of those Tom Baker stories, they might as well have all been wearing red shirts.

6 out of 10

The ghosts were genuinely creepy, but the pace was plodding and for some reason, the characterisation of Clara seemed off.

Just catching up now - loved it! Capaldi really seems to have nailed it in this episode! And the yabbering ghosts were indeed creepy 8/10 from me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    the characterisation of Clara seemed off.
    This was my biggest problem with it. Just three weeks earlier she was the equivalent of the Prime Minister or an Army General, ordering UNIT about. This just didn't sit right, imo.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I really enjoyed this one. Loved the pacing as well, this felt more like the original series than possibly any other new series episode broadcast to date. I didn't have much problem with the characterisation of Clara here, I find her more likeable as time goes on, but agree that the characterisation is inconsistant from story to story. The ghosts were genuinely creepy though, one of the more successful creations of recent years. Unfortunately some of the guest cast were a bit bland, and I didn't really care whether they would live or die...8/10