Default How do you watch the new series?

I've only just discovered that not every device which can connect to BBC iPlayer is used in compiling viewing figures. Apparently views through iPlayer on PC s/laptops count, as well as those on smart tv's...but not views on such things as Xbox, Fire TV, etc. I wonder how many unregistered views of the series there are, and just how many devices there actually are which don't count towards official viewing figures.

How have you been watching the series so far, generally? Have you been watching the live broadcast, or recording it for later viewing, or using online services? For my part, I've been recording the episodes off air, but when I actually get round to watching the episodes it has been more convenient to stream from iPlayer on my Kindle Fire or Fire TV stick. In fact, I'm just off to watch this week's episode in just such a manner...another 'lost' view from me, then!

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

If I'm home, then I'll watch the live broadcast else I sky+ it

I watch it at home myself. Chance would be a very fine thing to be somewhere else when it's broadcast!

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    I've only just discovered that not every device which can connect to BBC iPlayer is used in compiling viewing figures. Apparently views through iPlayer on PC s/laptops count, as well as those on smart tv's...but not views on such things as Xbox, Fire TV, etc. I wonder how many unregistered views of the series there are, and just how many devices there actually are which don't count towards official viewing figures.
    Given that we could do with all the help we can get at the moment...

I prefer the old-fashioned method of watching the TV on the night.

After looking into things a bit further, I see now that my initial post was wrong. It looks like it doesn't really matter how we watch it, or even whether we actually do watch it or not...there are people around the country with metered tvs/tablets/laptops etc representing our viewing habits. Not that they actually have any idea what I'm watching, but they're saying what I'm watching on my behalf whether I'm actually watching a programme or not...

How BARB calculate viewing figures

We recruit households to be on the panel that suit the necessary demographics, TV platforms and geography, as well as other variables. The BARB panel consists of 5100 households, which each represent about 5000 other households across the UK.
    It's a subject which I'd never really thought about before, and I'm surprised to see that each household involved represents another 5000 households around the country...in other words, they're extrapolating total viewing figures from just a small handful of homes. I wonder just how accurate these figures actually are?

Talking of BARB, have @SiHart and @Rob McCow asked BARB if they can represent 5000 households again?
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

We are not allowed to reveal this either way unless you happen to visit. Shush!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    It's a subject which I'd never really thought about before, and I'm surprised to see that each household involved represents another 5000 households around the country...in other words, they're extrapolating total viewing figures from just a small handful of homes. I wonder just how accurate these figures actually are?
    Each house hold that's metered represents about 5000 homes, which is at best, if my maths is right, half of 0.1%? Which is sadly not a good measure for the system in general, let alone any given programme. Never mind the maths, a home which watches a lot of telly might be representing me, who hardly watches telly and several homes which don't have a TV.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    We are not allowed to reveal this either way unless you happen to visit. Shush!
    Or unless The Lads happen to be passing...

In answer to the original question, I don't... I change the channel... never mind not long to go until an iconic science-fiction series is re launched in 2016 - New X Files here we come! Sorry to all the new Who lovers out there but I couldn't resist...

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    In answer to the original question, I don't... I change the channel...
    I've felt that way too a few times since a certain Scot without obvious Italian ancestry or a dad in the Church of Scotland took over... (Is there room behind the sofa...?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    In answer to the original question, I don't... I change the channel... never mind not long to go until an iconic science-fiction series is re launched in 2016 - New X Files here we come! Sorry to all the new Who lovers out there but I couldn't resist...
    Yay...Ralph's back! I see nothing's changed though regarding DW, then, Ralph? Not even the presence of Capaldi enough to tempt you? Fingers crossed here too though for the relaunch of the X-Files...here's hoping that's not a damp squib!

Thanks Kenny - well for me it's a case of having the return of the original actors (clearly impossible) plus a recognisable format. As DW goes, nothing will better that 70s feel, style and format for me. It's just entirely different but I think you know that answer already... it's a product of it's era, warts an all, wobbly sets etc, tight budgets...all part of the charm forcing more emphasis on story/actors... it's good others enjoy it but I glaze over when ever I see it - for me it's DW in name only...

The remake of the Survivors from 70s was a another disappoint for me because they lost the gritty atmosphere and feel of the original to create a flat politically correct dull format which didn't capture the public's imagination like the original. Maybe we owe a lot to Terry Nation for the original and his vision? Given how much more dependent we are on technology than we were in the 70s then the idea should have worked even better I think.

My favourite current television series is The Walking Dead (which surprised me as I hate gore) , the scripts and direction I think are excellent. Andrew Lincoln makes a great leading actor for the show. Still also to see the last season of Mad Men which I thought was great too - I hope it ends on a high. No spoilers please!

Recent stuff includes Breaking Bad, The Wire and I'm about to check out the original version of the Killing.

You'll be pleased to know I've been regularly rewatching the best Simon Templar there ever was and ever will be over the Summer months. I think I've enjoyed it much more second time around, particularly the colour episodes. Roger Moore has a style of natural wit and charm I just don't think you see on TV any more plus the whole retro style and feel is a winner for me too! Roger Moore was at his peak between the mid 60s and 70s. Meantime I consign Return of the Saint made back in the 70s as another series that failed to capture the magic of the original...

These days, almost always on iPlayer. I don't have anything set up to receive channels on my TV, and these days I just use catch-up to watch what little TV I watch at times that are suitable for me.

This does also mean I'm out of the habit of checking what time things are on, which often means I don't realise something's on until it's already gone out. Whilst I realised the new series was due sometime in September, I didn't bother checking exactly when as I was going to miss a few early episodes while on holiday, so have yet to get started on the latest series having just got back this weekend (and being busy with other things in the evening to give it due attention yet).
    We ride tornadoes. We eat tomatoes.

I know what you mean about DW feeling like it's only DW in name only, Ralph...I've often felt like that since the series returned, despite some great stuff being scattered through it over the years. However, being honest, I've got to say that I also felt the same back in the day for much of Davison, Colin and Sylvester's era's. The series still had the DW name and concepts, but even then it didn't feel like the series I loved years earlier. Peter Capaldi, imo, is the first person to play the Doctor since Tom Baker who actually feels like the Doctor. Despite using his own accent as opposed to the Received Pronunciation of the first 6 Doctors, he's recognisably the Doctor to someone who grew up with the series in the 70s, in a way that Tennant and Smith (and the others) just weren't. And I'm not just saying that because he's Scottish! Give Capaldi's Doctor a wee look before writing it off...and last weeks episode Under The Lake is as good a place as any to start. I suppose that change, though, is what keeps the series fresh even if it's not always to our liking...

I've not seen The Walking Dead yet, although it's on my list. As is Breaking Bad. I'd recommend checking out Extant, with Halle Berry, as well...it's one of my current favourites. I'm glad to see you've been enjoying the Saint as well, I've been watching quite a few of them myself along with other ITC stuff...I agree with your comment about ROTS too, although ironically that was the Saint series I grew up with and only really came to the Roger series with the advent of video and DVD (and the Bravo tv channel back in the 90s!)

That's more or less how I feel about New Who, and even RTD Who had a sense of fun and adventure Moffat Who's largely failed to try and capture, failing when it has made the effort.

Anything with Halle Berry is worth checking out...

I watch it live!

Failing that, I record it and watch the recording the Sunday morning afterwards.

Should my recording fail - and it did for the Zygon Invasion(!) - the it's the iPlayer on the Sunday morning afterwards.
    With the speed of my internet connection, at times it was a bit jerky
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Trust me - that's exactly how they filmed it! Expect the next episode to be in black and white and run backwards.

I hardly ever watch it "live" now as I'm often out. So I'm one of those traitors who are not contributing to the overnight ratings. But it's like many who have commented before - the viewing habits of people are changing. Unless a programme is being broadcast live in order for you to vote (Strictly, X Factor etc) then there's not a pressing need any more to sit down at a specific time to watch a programme.

iPlayer. I haven't watched *any* live television since about March, and will likely get rid of my TV Licence in the New Year.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    iPlayer. I haven't watched *any* live television since about March, and will likely get rid of my TV Licence in the New Year.
    Mette and I can go for months without turning the tv on, watching all our tv on laptops, but we always tune in for Doctor Who each saturday, it's still event tv for us (despite my other half's absolute hatred of Clara). And now Catastrophe and Detectorists are on we've been using it three times a week, it feels all rather odd.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."