Default Dad's Army The (Worrying) Movie - New Poster

It's no secret that I'm a bit worried about the new Dad's Army movie. I'm not terribly fond of Bill Nighy or Michael Gambon, though I've got no doubt they're excellent in their way they tend to do the same old routine no matter what part they're playing. I can just about imagine Nighy as Wilson, but Gambon as Godfrey?

We've been re-watching the original series and the real bugger of it is that the casting is perfect. It's also what made the series so great. How can you recapture the class war between Mainwaring and Wilson? Fraiser's spookiness?

Then again it might be great. I do like Toby Jones.

It is 1944 and World War II is reaching its climax. The Allies are poised to invade France and finally defeat the German army. But in Walmington-on-Sea morale amongst the Home Guard is low. Their new mission then – to patrol the Dover army base – is a great chance to revive spirits and reputation, that is until glamorous journalist Rose Winters arrives to write about their exploits, setting the pulses racing and putting the local women on red alert. MI5 then discover a radio signal sent direct to Berlin from Walmington-on-Sea. There’s a spy on the loose! The outcome of the war is suddenly at stake, and it falls to our unlikely heroes to stand up and be counted.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Having now seen the trailer (below), I'd say there's nothing to worry about. It's looks brilliant!

I reckon casting on this is definitely one thing they've got right...
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

It does look good.

I'm afraid I'm not convinced .... especially by Gambon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk