Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    Anyone still watching this?
    Yep, it's turned into an excellent show as it's progressed. It's been the deciding factor for me in taking up a Netflix subscription after my trial month ended - I have to find out how it ends!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Clearly this must have been planned all along, but there is almost a sense that the production team spent the Christmas holidays working out how to stop the show being quite so dull, and boy have they managed it! The first three episodes this year have been really good, and although it does require a big suspension of disbelief in terms of the 'parallel universe' set up, what they've done/are doing with it, is very enjoyable. The ending to last week's third episode was very cleverly arrived at, although what that means for the show's scenario in season 2 I don't know. I've got to say it's gone from a show that was OK but nothing special, to something that's sort of starting to establish an identity for itself. I don't know what the diehard Trek fans think of it, but I'm liking it!!

I was really enjoying this, especially all the mirror universe stuff, but thought the season finale was all a bit of a damp squib. There was way too much exposition and a ridiculously tiny amount of action, and I could excuse this if the dialogue was decent but I thought it was pretty patchy, with Burnham's speech at the end making me groan. Oh well, hopefully it'll be more consistent next year now that things have calmed down behind the scenes.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Yes, I agree about the finale Alex. I'm glad they aren't dragging out the tedious Klingon war into S2, and the rest of this second half has been hugely enjoyable - but the last one seemed too neat, too contrived, and too shmaltzy. Nice c/hanger though !!

I agree with both of you. The series hit its high point in the episodes immediately after the break which were excellent. The problem, though, was that these were so good that it was practically impossible to keep up the momentum. It might have been better if they had contrived to keep that Lorca cliffhanger till the end of the season and keep us all on tenderhooks for the next 12 months or so to see what happens next...having said that, for the good old-fashioned feelgood factor I have no complaints at all about the final scene (and end titles) of the series, I loved it.

Overall, I felt that this series was pretty patchy in parts but at its best (when it was as good as the best Trek I've ever seen) it showed huge promise. It maybe peaked a bit early but I'm looking forward to Season 2. It's good to see the Klingon war storyline is over so a fresh start coming up...

Has anyone been watching the second season of this? If so, what do you think of the new captain and the direction the show seems to be taking?

I'm really enjoying it, for the most part. It certainly feels more like traditional Star Trek than the first season did. I'm still not too keen on the new look Klingons though, they're just not growing on me at all. I'm enjoying the storyline, but just find the look of them a bit distracting. This change simply hasn't been as effective as the one between the original series and the movies/TNG and seems rather pointless...

I'm enjoying it so far - as you say, Mac, it feels much more like traditional Trek doesn't it (in ep 2 they find a human, as in American, colony for example). It does get a bit pretentious from time to time (last week's dreary opening and closing narration for example) but it's been more solidly enjoyable than the first half of S1 anyway.

I'm getting a bit fed up of 'Spock hunting' though - time to put their money where their mouth is, and actually bring Spock into it!! Maybe tomorrow...

Yeah, I'm waiting for Spock to turn up as well, though I'm preparing myself for the possibility that it won't be until the final episode. I'm mostly enjoying it though, Captain Pike's a great character and has really livened things up, and I'm fond of the majority of the rest of the cast too.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."