Thread: The Target Book

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Target Book

Telos in book I'd like to buy shocker!

The Target Book
    by David J Howe
    From 1973 until 1994, the Target Doctor Who paperbacks were a mainstay of the publishing world. From humble beginnings, they grew into a list running to 156 individual titles and selling over 13 million copies world-wide.
    This is the story of Target Books. Noted researcher and historian David J Howe chronicles the origins of the imprint, speaking to all the major players in its development, from editors to art directors, managing directors to artists and authors, and charts the books' critical reception as well as the fortunes and failings of the many publishing houses involved in their production.
    Profusely illustrated with all the covers, plus rare and unseen sketches and unused concepts and ideas, The Target Book is the definitive guide to a range of books which shaped the reading habits of a generation.
    Introduction by writer Terrance Dicks.
    While this is possibly just a reprint of the DWM articles (which I liked anyway) I think this might be one of the few Telos books I'd be interested in buying.
    If nothing else, it's got a great cover!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Captain Tancredi Guest

The one good thing I do in life and it's over.

At least it's not by Andrew Pixley.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

His Scheduled For Success and big Who/Blue Peter articles made for excellent reading!

I too would be interested in this book - unless it's a reprint of the DWM articles.

I don't understand Ian's comment - I'll still read and enjoy his Vervoid reviews!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Knee-jerk reaction- plus one St Paddy's Day I'll learn that Guinness just makes me maudlin and surly.

I would however be lying if part of me hadn't from time to time wondered whether somebody wouldn't be interested in working my stuff up into something more substantial- but for that idea to even be a starter I'd have to have reviews for the lot, which is at least a year off. Still, anything with a foreword by Terrance Dicks by definition can't be an impartial critique of his work, and hopefully anybody with an interest in the subject will look at whatever Telos are going to charge and realise that they can get better for free...

The blurb for the Telos book would suggest to me that it will be about the behind-the-scenes sort of stuff - hopefully it'll be honest and warts & all sort of stuff (I'd like to know, for example, whether in his heart of hearts Terrance Dicks was as satisfied with his 'production-line' books as he was with his early ones, and whether he felt miffed in the latter days that the original authors were being used more and more with his own contributions being relegated almost to a last resort). Ian's Vervoid column, though, is specific, and often insightful reviews of each individual book, which I can't really imagine would be included in the Telos release. I always enjoy reading them, partly for nostalgia's sake, but mainly because it's interesting to get a viewpoint on them from a 'modern-day' perspective (ie, post-video, when we're now probably all comparing them to the actual episodes) and also from a grown-up point of view.

What would be a delight would be if the Telos book were sufficiently successful, and generated enough interest, for somebody somewhere to acquire the rights to publish at least some of the old Target range. Although I suppose since most of them are available fairly cheaply on eBay that's a bit far-fetched.

It is a nice cover though!

Captain Tancredi Guest

I would suspect that the novelisations will be in some form of copyright hell now- if the contracts are anything like the New Adventures, the rights to the actual text would have reverted to the original writers by now, but then there would also be the original scriptwriters' copyright and it would also have to be cleared with the BBC, who probably wouldn't want something out which could potentially compete for the same readership as the TDAs (which are admittedly only six a year). I think reprinting a few of the early ones has been mooted before (and Virgin were at one stage looking at reprinting some to gift book standard) but the thing with the early adaptations is that some were reprinted over 20 years so there are thousands of copies going secondhand (and in many cases cheaply) for anybody who wants them. One of the things I've become convinced of in the last year or two is that 'Doctor Who and the Crusaders' is one of the most needlessly reprinted books ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    At least it's not by Andrew Pixley.
    Andrew Pixley is my hero. Worship him!

Pixley is a scholar and a gentleman to boot!

This does look like a really good book. The DWM articles Si mentioned earlier were fascinating, and if this book can expand on those articles even further, then all the better.

Is the cover a composite or is it new art 'in the style of...'? Hartnell looks like he's been taken from "The Zarbi" and Pertwee from AP's reprint of "Spearhead from Space" but where's Troughton from?

At least none of them looks too old, too evil, or - heaven forbid! - too Welsh!!

I'm sorry for upsetting you Ian. As you know I really like your reviews, and they're always one of the first things I read on the Vervoid.

From the looks of this, it seems it might be a history of the books, rather than reviews like yours, so I wouldn't worry too much. I still reckon it might be an expanded version of the DWM articles- maybe with more interview material and stuff included.

And I really like the cover!

Si xx

Andrew Pixley is my hero. Worship him!
    Yes, but you could win against a book by David J Howe. Tackling Pixley on his own turf would be a fool's errand indeed!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Due out in October I see - I hate to use the C-word in March, but might be a nice Christmas present!

It does cost 19.99 though. Maybe it'd have to be a joint birthday and Christmas present?

Si xx

19.99!!! I assumed since they'd homaged the old Target logo, and the old Target style cover art, that it would be available for 35p. The robbing swines!!

Is it 128 pages long and presented in 12 chapters, I ask myself?

I'm going to save up more than three weeks pocket money to get this one.

Si xx

Is it 128 pages long and presented in 12 chapters, I ask myself?
    I hope one of them is called Escape to Danger.

Si xx

Mind you, it would be worth 19.99 if one of the chapters is impossibly-large. I'm glad to see they've got Terrance D to do the introduction - he's a real marvel isn't he. He must be, no offence, but knocking on a bit now, but there's not a sign of him wheezing or groaning.

I'll just go now

I'm holding out for an 'Enter The Doctor' chapter title. Hmm - I've just had an idea for a thread!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I'm sorry for upsetting you Ian.
    You didn't- as I say, knee jerk reaction under the influence of alcohol. Over and done with.

Thing is, if Telos think they can get away with twenty quid for it, am I underpricing myself? There's a danger that a book like this could get bogged down in the minutiae of how the publishing industry worked in the 1970s and 1980s, which probably isn't what the intended readership particularly want. Particularly when they realise that they can get more interesting reading on the same subject for free elsewhere!!!

I was interested to see that this was being published too - but I wish Telos wouldn't announce things so far in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I'm glad to see they've got Terrance D to do the introduction - he's a real marvel isn't he. He must be, no offence, but knocking on a bit now, but there's not a sign of him wheezing or groaning.
    But he does have an Old-Young face!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

I hope it has illustrations by Alan Willow.

Bump!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Target-Book-...0805282&sr=1-1

Anyone got any more info on this?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild