WhiteCrow Guest

Default The Doctor Who fan phrasebook ...

I thought it might be fun to kick off a translation thread about common things Doctor Who fans say which I have to admit I don't understand at times ... Because it's me, the emphasis here is on humourous translation.

I'll start with, what do they mean when they say "Feels a bit Robert Holmesy"

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    I thought it might be fun to kick off a translation thread about common things Doctor Who fans say which I have to admit I don't understand at times ... Because it's me, the emphasis here is on humourous translation.

"Thought it had been laid to rest twenty years ago".

"Feels a bit Robert Holmesy"
    What they got up to in the Who production office with Terrance Dicks when Barry wouldn't Letts.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

"Feels a bit Robert Holmesy" is shorthand for "it's OK, only Mary Whitehouse might object". Cross-reference this with "Feels a bit Terry Nationy" which is shorthand for "seen it, seen it, Tarrant, seen it".

If it includes characters in a double act it's a bit Robert Holmesy.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

If Raston doesn't like it, it's a bit Robert Holmesy...

I know I shouldn't but... @ Andrew!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post

It's the same thing as describing it as "gothic", but what the hell does that mean? Really?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Gothic in Doctor Who terms means there's lots of deaths, the sets are sumptuous, there's lots of wood panelling everywhere and they've turned the lights down a bit more than usual.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Thanks Si.

Another couple for the phrasebook....."Pantomime" & "Pratfalls".
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Dave Lewis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    Thanks Si.

Another couple for the phrasebook....."Pantomime" & "Pratfalls".
    Season 24.

"Pantomime" & "Pratfalls"
    Lazy descriptions of episodes that SuperFans don't like because the stories are funny and entertaining instead of being gratuitously violent.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lewis View Post
    Season 24.
    B'dum tish.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    It's the same thing as describing it as "gothic", but what the hell does that mean? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Gothic in Doctor Who terms means there's lots of deaths, the sets are sumptuous, there's lots of wood panelling everywhere and they've turned the lights down a bit more than usual.

Si xx
    There was a literary sort of definition of Gothic in the eighteenth century, which roughly meant involving underground tunnels and passages with a scary ravaged horror-type figure lurking about ready to chase any vulnerable intruders...

You could make a case for Deadly Assassin, Talons, Caves and Revelation conforming partly to that sort of thing.

which roughly meant involving underground tunnels and passages with a scary ravaged horror-type figure lurking about ready to chase any vulnerable intruders...
    So that's Underworld, The Creature From The Pit and Horns of Nimon too... Although a Gothic story would presumably be one that took itself very seriously indeed

WhiteCrow Guest

Here's a really geeky question - what is the name of the special effects renouned for being used badly in Underworld and the Green Maggoty Death?

It's BarryLetts-O-Vision. This is also, incidentally, the same effect used to add Bonnie Langford into every scene in "Dragonfire" as she was busy on another project at the time and couldn't make any of the studio days. Honest.