View Poll Results: Britain In or Out of the European Union?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Britain should Stay In the European Union

2 66.67%
  • Britain should Leave the European Union

1 33.33%

Default The Banging On About The EU Thread

One hundred and twenty days until the EU Referendum!

Should Britain stay in the European Union, or should we do something less boring instead?

Why don't you?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I have (helpfully ) added a Poll to this thread.

Do let us know your thoughts - and also vote at the same time.

Voting is open to all - whether you are a UK national, an ex-pat, a foreigner living in the UK - or none of those.
    For some, this may be the only way you can vote on the matter
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Well it sounds good in theory, but in practice it's been lacking. All the "If you remain in the EU you can protect the NHS!" is undone when TTIP comes into question.
    Nobody is talking about that, it's all "Boris, Boris, Boris" in the media.
    So if they're not going to seriously talk about why we should stay or remain, what is the point?
    And I deny accusations of racism for wanting to leave. Not from here, but that's another bit of nonsense on other sites.
    "If you support 'Leave' you are getting into bed with Nigel Farage and George Galloway!".
    Yeah, and if you support "Remain" you are getting into bed with George Osborne and Jeremy Hunt!
    It doesn't work that way! You vote how you feel. If it turns out we stay, then we stay.
    But if it turns out people have been passive-aggressively emotionally blackmailed into voting, then really they should have stayed at home instead!

I did used to believe that Europe was the UK's destiny. But things change.
    Anyway, that's my thoughts on it.

At the moment I'm swinging between both sides of the fence
    Always have an Edge

Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

David Cameron tells us this is a "Once In A Generation" decision.

Not another one!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    David Cameron tells us this is a "Once In A Generation" decision.

Not another one!
    How many Generations does he think we have!!! ?
    Always have an Edge

There was an interesting start to Newsnight last night - Mrs. Thatcher (when she was Mrs.) talking about our entry to t'Common Market. She was saying how we should say yes to what she effectively said was a one-off vote on the subject. ...and here we are again...

I'd like to say yes. The coming together of all the countries under Maastricht and the Euro didn't save too many of them when the global recession came, notably Greece, Spain and Ireland; the Treaty of Versailles didn't stop Hitler; and Maastricht isn't protecting anyone from Putin, IS or al Qaida; but the idea that Europe has certain blocks that could in theory stop certain unfortunate events is comforting. Even if real life does come with unforeseen eventualities.

We need more options to choose from in the poll!

My thoughts on the matter stem from the Mark Twain quote "If voting made any difference, they wouldn't let us do it".

I believe that. They wouldn't let us have the choice on this, pure and simple. The media will deliver a STAY result* through lies, fear, waffle and obfuscation. And by the end of 4 months of spending more huge amounts of our tax money, fatigue.

All this Bojo vs Cam stuff is just scripted theatre. Boris is the back-up man. The final result will probably be closer than they'd like (like the Scottish referendum) and Boris will be waiting in the wings on his trusty mop-topped steed. Depose Cameron (who can then get on with his life earning some REAL money like Blair), and in doing so placate all the angry, frustrated BREXIT voters, promising to stand up for our sovereignty going foward in the EU which we'll have now signed up to for life. And they'll believe him because of his BREXIT stand now, and because he'll probably make a funny quip about it.

[Tin Foil Hat]And then when the EU becomes part of a World Government in the financial aftermath of World War III (coming to a nation near you very soon), we'll have rubber-stamped our absorption into it. [/Tin Foil Hat]

I would like to see us regain some sovereignty for our country, but being in or out of the EU makes absolutely no difference while central banks control our economy. That's something I would vote on.

*The only chance of a Brexit is if that's what the establishment want, but I honestly can't see any chance of that. They've been moving us towards world government for too long.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Would you complain if they put you in charge of it? Or are you of the "anyone who wants to enter politics shouldn't be allowed to" brigade? (Like me - I snipe at all sides when they deserve it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    Would you complain if they put you in charge of it?
    Of what? The country, no. The EU Referendum, yes. I think it's completely irrelevant.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Well, did not see that coming! In the slightest. Worked at the Polling station and only snapped once at some 60odd botoxed failed woman who snapped"Why is it always pencil?".
    Yeah, a few people bought their pens and haha! Both Liverpool and the Wirral both voted to remain!
    But despite my comments early in the thread. There's been no victory. We've just been dealt a hand and it's up to usto deal with it. Some on Facebook have taken it badly.

Scotland voted to remain, and some have taken it very badly -"Why should we stay when England, with ten times the population, voted us out?" Everyone who voted for Brexit voted me out, there's twenty-odd million more of them than me; do you see me complaining?

The problem up here is that people didn't know how to vote, with the knowledge that the SNP would use any excuse to bring up the possibility of another Scottish Referendum (as indeed, they have already) In England and Wales it was a simple choice; up here however we had been told beforehand that if England voted 'Leave' but Scotland as a whole voted 'Remain' (which is what happened) then it would act as a possible trigger for another referendum...so if you wanted the UK to remain in Europe but also Scotland to remain in the UK without risking another Referendum things soon became a bit more complicated. Voting for 'Remain' was a double-edged sword, and the result has played right into the SNP's hands.

I'm really dreading the prospect of yet another referendum up here, two inside a two-year period hasn't exactly been pleasant...the thought of another is a bit of a nightmare!

Although another Scottish referendum (It's the Irish one you really got to face palm at!) would open old wounds, I personally don't want the referendum we just had rerun.
    For a start, if you think the UK has been foolish then how will it look if it was rerun because people didn't understand the perplexing meaning behind the words "Leave" and "Remain!
    And lastly, although there are some who regretted their vote, what's to say an even bigger turnout comes and the result is the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    Would you complain if they put you in charge of it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    Of what? The country, no. The EU Referendum, yes. I think it's completely irrelevant.
    Really? I think it was very relevant.

Sorry, I don't understand what point you're making. (I stand by my statement 100%)

And now we face the prospect of a snap General Election which is basically going to be about whether or not to support Brexit.
    Any attempts by Corbyn to try and ignore the 'B' word are going to weaken his position.

I suspect TM may live to regret this political gamble if the Conservatives don't win a significantly increased majority but it seems likely that the best Labour can hope for is not to lose too many of their current seats.

I've been trying to remember the last time Britain had three PMs in the space of a year - it has happened!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    And now we face the prospect of a snap General Election which is basically going to be about whether or not to support Brexit.
    Any attempts by Corbyn to try and ignore the 'B' word are going to weaken his position.

I suspect TM may live to regret this political gamble if the Conservatives don't win a significantly increased majority but it seems likely that the best Labour can hope for is not to lose too many of their current seats.
    Looking back it seems like I foresaw the result but in fact I could never have guessed that TM's campaign would be such a disaster. I thought the predictions of a majority of 80+ were premature and I personally thought they'd get somewhere between their existing majority of 331 to maybe 361 if they were lucky.

From the Tory side it's looking like there will a leadership challenge soon and I'd wager there will be another election within the next six to twelve months so Stuart's prediction of three PM's within a year may yet come to pass.

Call me naive but having got thoroughly sick of all the stupid memes, false news articles and ill-advised opinions I decided before the election to read through the manifestos and base my voting decision on those, pure and simple. This I did.

However, having read this morning that a week later the Tory manifesto is being "cut down" and "revised" I am truly out-raged that this can happen. I can understand some long term pledges not being possible later on (and you'd have to be stupid to think they were ever going to eliminate homelessness by 2025) but this is on another level. They were re-elected on the BASIS of this document, they cannot change it a few days later. Or what's the point in ANY of it? You may as well vote based on sticking a pin on the ballot form.

Based on today's events, if there is another election they certainly won't get my vote.

Si.

Welcome to the world of minority government. Unfortunately, manifesto commitments don't hold much water when you don't have enough MPs to guarantee them passing into law.

The same would be equally true of Corbyn's magic money tree promises if he was attempting to form a coalition with the SNP and/or the Lib Dems.

That being said the polls now indicate that if there is a re-run (hopefully not too soon) Labour are in a strong position to win an overall majority.

I hope there is a re-run, and soon! (no skin off my nose, popping in to vote on my way home). Yet again, most people thought they were voting to elect either Lab or Con and found out later that instead they got a horrifying third choice - a Tory party with all the same people they didn't like, but less equipped for Brexit and Boris being suggested as a new leader. I think given a glimpse of this as a future, many people might decide to finally plump for Labour as an alternative.

Let's face it, whatever option we're facing, someone says it'll be a disaster and it usually somehow is.

Si.