Default Old Man New PC techie help

Having had to buy a new PC ( I already hate Windows 8 ) Ihave a probably very simple question.

The hard drive was advertised as being 1 TB, but Explorer tells me I have a 500GB C drive and a ' D Data drive' of 500GB.

What's the difference ? Can I only save files onto the D Drive ? Can I only install programs on the C Drive ? And which bits is the Cloud trying to copy ? Should I move all of my files onto the D Drive or will I never get them back again ?

And what's this thing people call the Internet ?
    Bazinga !

You probably have a 1TB drive, but it has been partitioned into two different drives.

Easy way to check - go to:
    Control Panel
    Hardware and Sound
    Devices and Printers
    Device Manager
    - and look at Disk Drives, there should be only one.

The reason for partitioning is because Windows used to only recognise drives up to a certain size. I don't know if this is still true.

I would suggest installing programs on the C drive and anything like photographs, music and video on the D drive. I would also get a USB drive and back everything up, you can usually get a 1TB one for under £80.

As for your 'Cloud' - no idea! Depends how it is set up.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Cheers - I'll have a poke around at the weekend
    Bazinga !

Hi Jon, hope you don't mind but I have a problem of my own.
    I have a Lenova Tablet and recently downloaded the SD of "The Force Awakens".
    But when I play it, I just get sound only!
    I've gone onto settings and apps and see Play Movies is operational.
    What am I missing?
    And I have used Android for this site, but prefer the colours of browser!
    All help given will be appreciated and thanks!

Where on your device is the film stored? Is it in the device internal memory, or on an additional memory card? I don't have a Lenova, but a Kindle Fire but I find that while my storage capacity is extended by the additional memory card, things don't always work (from external card) exactly as you'd expect if you try to access it. No problems for simple stuff, but even just trying to delete something you're finished with directly from an app can cause problems...I have to use ES File Explorer to do the job.

My suggestions would be, if stored on external memory then copy to device temporarily for viewing purposes (if enough space is available, of course) and failing that, try other video software rather than just what is available on the device by default...

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    Where on your device is the film stored? Is it in the device internal memory, or on an additional memory card? I don't have a Lenova, but a Kindle Fire but I find that while my storage capacity is extended by the additional memory card, things don't always work (from external card) exactly as you'd expect if you try to access it. No problems for simple stuff, but even just trying to delete something you're finished with directly from an app can cause problems...I have to use ES File Explorer to do the job.

My suggestions would be, if stored on external memory then copy to device temporarily for viewing purposes (if enough space is available, of course) and failing that, try other video software rather than just what is available on the device by default...
    Or I suppose I could just DOWNLOAD the movie after buying it!!
    Ahem... As you were then!
    And thanks MacNimon!