Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WhiteCrow Guest

Default Can't be good for you: listening to the same song repeatedly

I'm sure I've heard that listening to the same song over and over again is used by the CIA to break people.

Yet if I get a song in my head, I seem able to listen to it again and again. Because I was listening to one song a lot this morning going back to it time and again I arranged an experiment. At 2pm I set my MP3 player to repeat the track ... by 5:30pm I'd not got bored. And guess what I'm listening to now? I must have listened 100+ times now.

Anyone else sometimes listen to the same song again and again?

This of course will backfire on me tonight when all I'll be able to hear is ...

Good grief! 100+ times? That can't be good for you!

I do know what you mean though and I have been known to listen to the same song several times in a day, but I can't do it as much as that! It seems a bit obssessive to me!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Good grief! 100+ times? That can't be good for you!

I do know what you mean though and I have been known to listen to the same song several times in a day, but I can't do it as much as that! It seems a bit obssessive to me!
    I know - I started it as a bit of an experiment to see how far I could go ... ended up even denying myself toilet breaks, and when I just had to go, guess what I was humming.

"His resistence to the mind probe is considerable ..."

An article on how they used something similar to capture General Noriega - would I be asking the Americans to turn it up? Mind you if it was rap I'd surrender in about 5 minutes ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_...oriega#Capture

Apparently Yellow Submarine played at mind-shattering volumes can break even the most strong of minds.

So watch it Master Luke.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Apparently Yellow Submarine played at mind-shattering volumes can break even the most strong of minds.

So watch it Master Luke.
    I feel a themed thread coming soon! The Spice Girls Wannabe would probably get my vote. Although I kind of adore it and abhore it in equal measures. Zigazigah!

Captain Tancredi Guest

On a very bleak day in my third year of university I spent most of the day listening to "He was despised and rejected of men" from Handel's Messiah at least twenty times and drinking blackcurrant tea.

Alanis Morrisette's Ironic would break me within about 15 minutes, I know Ed Byrne's done a rant about this in one of his stand up routines, but the first time I ever heard it I noticed that none of the things were ironic, but just coincidences, and now end up screaming like a crazy loon when I hear it.

Oh, and an easy target, sure, but that frackin'* Crazy Frog would break me quickly too.

*I've been watching too much Battlestar Galactica at the moment.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Alanis Morrisette's Ironic would break me within about 15 minutes, I know Ed Byrne's done a rant about this in one of his stand up routines, but the first time I ever heard it I noticed that none of the things were ironic, but just coincidences, and now end up screaming like a crazy loon when I hear it.
    It depends on your definition of 'irony', which I would argue is only partially right. It's a common criticism of that song, but it's also a common mistake. Coincidences or not, they still qualify. It's something that means the opposite of what is...was...oh you get the idea.
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

Pip Madeley Guest

I saw him do that material on the 100 Greatest Stand Ups t'other night - "It's not ironic, it's just unfortunate!"

On-topic, I can listen to songs over and over, but not consecutively. My last.fm profile shows that my most listened to song is "He Used To Be A Lovely Boy" by Keane, with 16 plays. And that's cause I've been learning to play it on piano.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Alanis Morrisette's Ironic would break me within about 15 minutes, I know Ed Byrne's done a rant about this in one of his stand up routines, but the first time I ever heard it I noticed that none of the things were ironic, but just coincidences...
    That's what's ironic about it.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

"I can't stand the confusion in my mind!!"

Why won't White Crow tell us what song it was though? I reckon it was the Frog Chorus or Joe Dulce's Shuddup-a-ya-Face.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    At 2pm I set my MP3 player to repeat the track ... by 5:30pm I'd not got bored. And guess what I'm listening to now? I must have listened 100+ times now.

Busy life then?

I didn't realise we had any "Care in the Community" members...

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post

Busy life then?

I didn't realise we had any "Care in the Community" members...
    My other hobbies include buying swords from Ebay and collecting my own earwax ...

Pip Madeley Guest

Do you make candles out of it?

WhiteCrow Guest

Today I have mainly been listening to the same song from High School Musical.

I had to give up after 3 hours because of the persistent nose bleeds ...

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    I had to give up after 3 hours because of the persistent nose bleeds ...
    What, did your neighbours keep coming round and punching you?

Pip Madeley Guest

I've been listening to Behind The Lines/Duchess/Guide Vocal by Genesis as I'm learning all the keyboard/piano parts... maybe one day I can start a Genesis tribute band... of course, it'd have to be Mr Williams on bass

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    I've been listening to Behind The Lines/Duchess/Guide Vocal by Genesis as I'm learning all the keyboard/piano parts... maybe one day I can start a Genesis tribute band... of course, it'd have to be Mr Williams on bass
    really? I'd rather take up vocal duties, tbh

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Pip Madeley Guest

Fill yer boots, man

The whole point of irony is coincedence! Irony occurs when something happens by coincidence that could have been contrived. e.g it rains on your wedding day, it's ironic because if you had to pick a day for your wedding you'd choose one when it didn't rain, yet by chance it rained anyway.

People who say that song isn't ironic are just trying to be clever.

I usually repeat bits of an album over and over if I'm trying to get to know it. I'm doing it at the moment with "Vauxhall & I" by Morrissey.

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Inspired by the "can't listen to the same song all day", I set my MP3 player to random.

And bugger me I came accross songs I never knew I had on there, and wish I still was oblivious about.

Like this happy ditty called "Carbon Monoxide" about a couple who kill themselves in a suicide pact ...

Carbon monoxide
    Soon well go to sleep
    No one will notice were gone
    Cause we dont have a job to keep
    Theyll just say that were being lazy
    Sex-crazed, sex-crazed
    Theyll just say were living our whole life in bed
    And well be in bed but well be oh so very much
    Dead-a, dead-a, dead-a, dead-a, dead-a
    Dead-a, dead-a, dead-a, dead-a, dead-a
    Dead-a, D-dead
    I've had a suck-tastic day, but bugger me, that's been the icing on the cake!

I find myself listening to a tune I really like and getting it stuck in my head repeatedly fairly often...

Although it's not quite the case as a single tune, at home I find myself constantly hitting the skip button on WMP as I've heard so many of the songs on their so often over the years that I'm never in the mood for them.

At work I've got a fair excuse for not getting a tune repeated too often - that'd mean repeatedly switching windows to iTunes and replaying the track, and the play count would rise to ridiculous levels - I'm embarrased about letting a track finish and upping it's counter unless I'm listening to the full album...

Pip Madeley Guest

I sometimes don't use WMP to listen to music, as I think of my Last.fm profile - I don't want to look weird for listening to the same song over and over when I'm trying to learn it

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    I sometimes don't use WMP to listen to music, as I think of my Last.fm profile - I don't want to look weird for listening to the same song over and over when I'm trying to learn it
    I should use WMP just to raise my Psycho profile "he listens to THAT song 100 times in one day???".

But it's always the songs I don't listen to repeatedly which are the ones I can't get out of my head!

No not that one!

Pip Madeley Guest

Now I won't be able to get that image out of my head.