Default Another new companion?

Matt Lucas is returning to the show apparently, from the first episode of S9, and will be in the Tardis for at least a good few episodes according to Moffat:

Following his hilarious appearance in The Husbands of River Song, Matt Lucas returns to Doctor Who from the opening episode of series 10 which starts filming next week in Cardiff (Monday 20 June).

Commenting on his return to Doctor Who, Matt Lucas, said:

“I’m chuffed to bits that Nardole is returning to the TARDIS for some more adventures. I loved acting with Peter and I’m excited to work with Pearl.”

Bringing her energy and zest to the show, Pearl Mackie embarks on her first week of filming as she takes up the role of the Doctor’s companion. In her first major television role following her West End appearance in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, she’ll be bursting on to screens in the opening episode.

Steven Moffat, lead writer and Executive Producer, added:

“Delighted and slightly amazed to be welcoming Matt Lucas back on to the TARDIS - and this time it’s not just for Christmas, he’s sticking around. One of the greatest comedy talents on planet Earth is being unleashed on all of time and space.”
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho...e-cd0ad94b4a59

Seems a bit odd that we got such a build up to the announcement of Pearl Mackie, but this has just come out in a press release. I can't say I was that crazy about the character in the first place too, but hey, hopefully it means for a lighter and less bleak series than we had last year.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

He didn't make any impression on me whatsoever at Christmas. My first thought is that he's not really companion material, maybe for a few scenes, but he's not that likeable is he?

I'm sure whatever Moffat has in mind, it'll make sense eventually.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Yes I'm not too sure about this one. He was okay in the Christmas Special but that was meant to be light and frothy anyway. Has he got the gravitas to play serious scenes? Hmmmmm we'll see....

"I am the only time traveller in the village!"

Hmm... I'm sure there's a good reason for it somewhere... I also think the character wasn't strong enough, but then they've had a while to decide how to develop him.

Might be the patchwork of previous Moffat characters returning. But Matt does Shakespeare, so if he's in more than one episode I don't think he'll be a complete disaster. But still didn't excite or made the long wait unbearable.