Default Star Trek: Beyond (Movie 13!)

We went to see the (unlucky) thirteenth movie in the Star Trek franchise on Saturday, Star Trek: Beyond. I was quite apprehensive of this one as I had found Star Trek: Into Darkness to be very annoying. Fortunately they turned up the fun and turned down the irritation - the movie was a bit of a winner!

I'm especially fond of the ensemble cast. They've done an excellent job of taking these characters in new directions. If it had been a straight remake, it would have been irritating that Spock is a bit too emotional and that Kirk has self-doubt. But the changes to the timeline make it easier for me to accept this.

I also liked the new guest character Jaylah - and would love to see her as a crewmember in the next film!

The visuals are first rate. They whizz by a little too quickly for my tastes, but the CG work and design is astounding. I'd love to re-visit the Yorktown in a future film or TV series.

It's tinged with sadness; both for Leonard Nimoy and the old crew who get a lovely send-off, but even more so for Anton Yelchin who plays Chekov, who died in an accident shortly before the film was released. Chekov actually gets a good showing in this film!

I'd recommend this for seeing at the cinema if you can. It's fab.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I agree. We saw this on Saturday night and felt it was the most "trekkie" of the new movies.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?