Default Daleks Animated Phwoar! Daleks Animated Phwoar! (Power Of The Daleks-November 2016)

http://badwilf.com/power-of-the-dale...-an-animation/

5th of November on BBC store.
    21st of November on DVD.

YouTube trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ib3...be&app=desktop

On the plus side, something for my Christmas! On the minus, is that Briggs?
    "Original audio recordings, with the original cast".
    And Nicholas Briggs to make the new fans buy it?
    Or is that Peter Hawkins?

Well I'm sold anyway!

It did sound a bit Briggsy to me....

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    It did sound a bit Briggsy to me....
    By strange coincidence, I've just been reading the novelisation. Any future reading requests...?

Looks good!

The Dalek voices sound like Peter Hawkins to me

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Fantastic! This means Nicholas Briggs is the greatest Peter Hawkins Impersonator of all time! *Newfoundrespectandunderstanding

No, those were the original voices from the original recording of the episodes. Modulated a bit but defnitely the original Peter Hawkins voices from the episodes.

So did anyone download it and found issues with BBC store?
    And it's out on Blu-ray next year... In colour!!
    I think I'll just stick with the standard DVD for Christmas to be honest.

No problems here! We got it downloaded and watched, no problem.

I thought it was a good effort all told. It's amazing how it brings it to life in a way that just hearing the audio doesn't. The cliffhanger for instance is now stuck in my head when before I couldn't have told you what it was, despite avoid few listens to the CD.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Glad you both enjoyed it Si - I'm waiting for the blu-ray colour version - bring it on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Four episodes in now - it's just fantastic. Even as an animated cartoon Troughton is really impressive. The Daleks themselves have never been scarier than when they're biding their time. To actually see it and get the effect makes a huge difference over the audios. Also it's a lot easier to tell the characters apart; the colonists actually come to life and the mysteries make a lot more sense. Even better, they've all got very clear name badges so all the Henshells and Bragans and Janleys finally seem like real, distinct people.

This was exactly the right story to animate and thoroughly entertaining as well.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

How do you watch these episodes? I was considering getting them (and the animated Dads Army episode as well) but are you tied into watching them via BBC iPlayer, or can they be downloaded and watched via any other media player installed on your PC/laptop/tablet?

I've gone to BBC Store, paid for them and downloaded them onto my laptop, which I've then attached to my TV via an HDMI cable. I had to install the BBC Store App which I got from the Windows App store (bleugh). Although this is quite complicated really, it's how we watched Red Dwarf on UKTVgo so we've had a bit of practice.

Not every tablet can connect to the Television, though I think you can do it through adaptors like the Chromecast or Kindle equivalents.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

There's no shortage of devices to watch it on around our house! As well as the PC, laptops and Kindle Fires we also have Amazon Fire TV and (upstairs) a Fire TV Stick. I have home streaming set up on my network, I'm in the process of ripping my entire DVD collection to my 5TB external HDD and it's set up so that I can browse and view my entire library on any tv, laptop or tablet in my home via apps such as Archos, VLC, Kodi and Plex.

So getting it from the store wouldn't be a problem, nor would watching it via iPlayer/BBC Store be a problem. But I'd like to fully integrate it into my home library and see it proudly take its rightful position in my Doctor Who library, viewable from there on any device. I'll be able to do this if I have the patience to hold back for the DVD, but I'm wary of downloading it from the BBC then not being able to do anything else with it apart from watching it on the iPlayer or BBC Store app!

Hmm, I may be a voice of dissent, but I'd call it a partial success at best. It's great to actually see things happening, yes. The artwork was brilliant, and I'd have to say they captured the likenesses very well. Early in the story the animation worked superbly, when it was more people talking and Daleks hovering around menacingly. At the end the pace picks up, but the animation didn't seem to. Episode 6 in particular fell very flat for me. It's clear from the dialogue there's a lot of action, probaby a fair bit of running, sudden appearances by the Daleks, people diving out of the way to avoid being exterminated, and so on. Instead it all appeared pretty static.

It jarred somewhat to me that the Daleks were 3D animated while everything else was 2D. The animated Daleks looked great, and the production line scenes were absolutely visually stunning. But why were they always moving so slowly and smoothly?

Naturally the animators have limited visual resource to work from in sequences with not a lot of sound, but there were a few instances where things seemed to take a long time to happen as apparently the animators culdn't think of anything for the characters to do except stand around, blink, shrug, etc until the next line came on. Some parts looked like an uncomfortable moment in theatre when someone dries.

Then there were the bits that failed to follow on from each other. Why did the Doctor make that thing in the rest room in episode 3, then go to the lab without it and fiddle with some knobs to make the Dalek go haywire, only for his lashup never to be seen again? I thought it was clear from other sources that he used that thing he cobbled together to try to knacker the Dalek. I also thought it was obvious that the cells had a device used by the guards that emitted a tone to open the door, not the door knob itself doing it when the guard rubbed it in a weirdly sensual way. That doesn't even make sense as being sound activated, which is how the Doctor used a glass to hit the note.

And finally on the criticism, what did they do to the sound in the cliffhanger/reprise across episode 5 and 6? The Dalek voices have been overlaid differently than in the oringinal soundtrack, being much more 'misaligned', as is clear if you watch the surviving clip of that sequence.

I don't want to sound too down on it, as clearly it was a lot of work and it is nice to watch the serial rather than hear it. Also enjoyed having one episode released at a time, making it much more like the original showing rather than being able to sit down as see it all. Of course this is one of the six parters that still works if you try and watch it all in one sitting. None of the epiodes is significantly padded with pointless material. Almost every scene advances the plot in some way. It really is one of the best stories ever, not just for its historical significance. I enjoyed seeing it on the TV very much.

This airs tonight on BBC America in the US, which seems a bit off to me, given that everyone over here has to pay to see it but they get it for free.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

And to see it before those who've ordered the DVD!

My Blu-Ray arrived today - just watched Episode 1 in colour. It's bloody marvellous (apart from the fact that they've not quite mastered Ben's likeness).

I've just got my 4 disc tin set. Looks really nice. Looking forward to some time to watch it.

Having seen it in B&W it might be a while before I gather the impetus to watch it again in colour. I'm hoping the colourisation will be the version I prefer in the end, I'm quite excited by the prospect!

We did the colour version last week and as someone who was new to most of the story (I think I'd seen some the surviving footage from the original before but that's about it) I quite enjoyed it although it did feel a little too cartoonish at times (Having watched the animated Tenth Planet ep4 the previous night I think actually preferred that style slightly - controversial I know as that was the same animators as the much criticised version of Reign of Terror). Also, they kept the title sequences in its original black & white format throughout which was a little jarring whenever there was an episode ending. I think a bit of homage to the early 1970s colour titles might've suited better. However, the Daleks themselves were very well realised.