Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default What Computer Game Are You Playing Today?

This is the thread where I'll be coming in every three days to say: Command and Conquer Generals.

Although Dawn of War Anthology may be turning up from HMV soon...
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Rome: Total War, obviously

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I don't go in for all this shoot em up games and I've been playing Scrabble..

I've been trying to play an online game of Football Manager 2007, but the host of the game's computer was a little bit slow and the game was taking forever.

Its funny I'm not a football fan at all but I love football manager games. I dunno why. Maybe its all the stats.

I know a lot of football fans who don't understand why I like Football Management games so much. They prefer to be actually playing in the match instead of (as they see it) looking at nothing but a lot of statistics.

Personally, I like the match play football games like Fifa or Pro-Evolution Soccer, but once you get a system in place that works, it does start to get a bit too easy, and let's face it, if you can beat Brazil 4-0 where do you go next for a challenge?

The Football Management games use a lot of statistics, but I like working on other things like tactics, team and player instructions and trawling the transfer market for the right player to win me the league. It's a long process, but I do enjoy it a lot. I just wish I could win something with Spurs for a change. According to SI Games forum, Spurs are meant to be a fairly easy team to win the Premiership with, fourth is the best I've managed with them.

My best result has been when managing the hated Gooners. I won the League and Champions League in one season, maybe I should try to get them relegated next time.

Just a suggestion, but why not change the thread title to "...video games" instead of computer to make it more inclusive. Why have seperate threads...

I've played 007: Everything or Nothing on the Gamecube earlier today, and I'll probably play Grand Theft Auto III on the PC when I am done here since the kids have the TV now... (They're watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse: Mickey Saves Santa" for the third or fourth time now...

people still call them Video Games?!?!

I suppose they must do! I always assumed that console games were covered under the general banner of Computer games!

GTAIII should be the perfect antidote to Mickey Mouse. One of my friends plays GTAIII - he spends most of his time in game flying around on the jetpack, wearing a grouch marx moustache and waving an enormous purple 'baton shaped object of pleasure' around. It's OK because its only a computer game. Apparently!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I've spent a few hours playing Icewind Dale earlier. In some ways, I even prefer it to Baldur's Gate as it's a shorter and more completable game.

Oh, I tend to play games that are old enough to require a DOS window to run them. Games like Might and Magic III through VIII. We don't even own a console, although we have a lovely little disc that has introduced my daughter to guys named Mario, Luigi, and Link, from way back when.
    Arisia Corporate President
    Assistant DivHead - Events, Arisia 2011

Does anyone remember the old Ultima series of games? I used to love Ultima: Quest of the Avatar in the old old PC days. Pre-CGA monitor days as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    Does anyone remember the old Ultima series of games? I used to love Ultima: Quest of the Avatar in the old old PC days. Pre-CGA monitor days as I recall.
    I remember it, but I never did play it... one game I recall for the Macintosh that was fun was 'A Fool's Errand', this was back in the late 1980's when I would play it on the Macs in the Cartography lab in the Geography Department at UVM.
    Arisia Corporate President
    Assistant DivHead - Events, Arisia 2011

Haven't played any computer/video games for ages (Gran Turismo 3 being the last), but I am tempted to get the new Phantasy Star Universe game for PS2, or the new Final Fantasy VII spin-off.

Or maybe I should just get round to buying the Sonic The Hedghog mega collection!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    people still call them Video Games?!?!

I suppose they must do! I always assumed that console games were covered under the general banner of Computer games!
    I think you have it backwards actually. To me there are Computer Video Games and Console Video Games. If you just say Computer Game it implies to me that you mean one exclusively for the PC.

An an aside, console game sales have steadily taken over the video game market to the point where they own the market and PC games barely carve out a niche. Most PC games anymore seem to just be ports of console games anyway.

GTAIII should be the perfect antidote to Mickey Mouse. One of my friends plays GTAIII - he spends most of his time in game flying around on the jetpack, wearing a grouch marx moustache and waving an enormous purple 'baton shaped object of pleasure' around. It's OK because its only a computer game. Apparently!
    I think he must be playing San Andreas or Vice City. I don't think there is a jet pack or anything like what you described there in GTA III.

Mortal Kombat on the Super Nintendo, as I'm going to sell it next week and just wanted to check it worked. It amazed me to this day that fighting games back then were much easier to play if you just hit all the buttons randomly, rather than actually learning the specific moves...!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

The SNES was a wonderful system. I can't wait to get through my retro-romp of the NES so I can hook up my old SNES and play games like Super Mario World, Actraiser, and Final Fantasy "II" and "III" again. I also still plan on getting Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Donkey Kong Country for the system used. Both games I rented and had very little playing time with.

I noticed Neverwinter Nights II for sale in Woolworths today. I hadn't even realised it had been released.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    I noticed Neverwinter Nights II for sale in Woolworths today. I hadn't even realised it had been released.
    It was just released recently. Maybe as recently as earlier this month.

Well, that's another thing to add to my Christmas list. It'll be three pages long if I'm not careful.

I just want a Wii, but I'm not going to get one. Maybe next Christmas.

Super Mario World
    I played that a lot about 3 weeks ago, it's just as good as I remembered it to be, though oddly a fair bit harder, I remember completing it once (about ten years ago) but this time around I got stuck in one of the ghost houses and gave up!

I've bought a lot of old consoles to sell on ebay lately, and the SNES really hasn't disappointed me, many of the games are just as playable, if not more so, than new ones. Certainly I prefer Super Mario World to Mario 64 by miles, though I've not played any of the new Mario games on the DS yet...

Strangely though, when I bought an old Amiga, I found a lot of the games I used to like really disappointing...Which is strange as I had an Amiga for about 6 years in my teens, and used to play on it constantly...Still, Sensible Soccer and Cannon Fodder were still brilliant!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I always found completing SMW to be easy. Unless by completing you mean finishing all of the worlds in the 'Special Zone' that you find after completing the Star Worlds. Those levels were ultra challenging, and I never completed more than half of them.

Originally I think it was something like 96 levels you had to complete in order to do it fully? Erm, if that was the case, then I definitely managed that and never found it that difficult...But this time around I just got so wound up by the Ghost Houses that I gave up!

It's a shame I've not managed to track down Super Mario Kart, as I'd love to play that again to see if it's as good as I remember it to be...
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I think 96 levels is right, some of the levels had multiple exits and if you managed to use all of the exits the color palatte of the game changed...

I made it to the final stage of Everything or Nothing last night. I read somewhere that this stage is supposed to be pretty difficult. I only attempted it a few times so far though...