WhiteCrow Guest

Default Today I ran through a prisoner of war checkpoint ...

Today at running club there was a TV setup at one of the local barracks, which they'd turned into Bexley on Sea Prisoner of War camp.

I'm told the nearby army ranges have doubled for
    • Korea in James Bond's Die Another Day
    • Germania in Gladiator
    • Germany in Band of Brothers

Any famour film locations near you?

Captain Tancredi Guest

Plenty of odd streets around Otley have been used for Emmerdale and Heartbeat down the years- in particular the old courthouse used to be used as exteriors for the police station in Heartbeat until it was redeveloped a few years ago. Some of 'At Home with the Braithwaites' was also filmed around these parts- never watched it but I distinctly remember seeing a clapped-out wedding car go past at one point and Peter Davison very kindly agreed to draw a charity raffle in aid of a child with meningitis.

I also work in a building which may or may not have briefly appeared in the Blake's 7 episode 'Children of Auron'. Unfortunately I have no way of checking at the moment.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    I also work in a building which may or may not have briefly appeared in the Blake's 7 episode 'Children of Auron'. Unfortunately I have no way of checking at the moment.
    How about asking any women who are in their 40s if they gave their heart to a Starship Trooper fighting for the Federation?

Our local viaduct was used in that advert a few years ago (for a bank or building society I think) where somebody bungee-d off it.

The most famous one near me is the legendary Betchworth Quarry which over the course of thirty odd years has been many alien planets. I also live near the site of the old Fuller Earthworks which was also used as a couple of alien planets in Dr Who. Also just down the is the site of St Annes hospital which was part of the Tardis in Invasion of Time and the place where Frank Spencer lowered Jessica's wendy house out of the window.
    UCL, where I work, has been in countless films and tv including Spooks (the managed to trap in our waste store filming that one), Silent Witness, The Mummy Returns, Batman Begins and Thunderbirds. Now if only we could persuade the Dr Who team to film there!

Close to Bracknell we have the woods which doubled a Gauda Prime for the return of Blake in the final episode of Blakes 7, and we're not far from the marvellous Black Park, which was used a number of times in Doctor Who (most notably in Full Circle) and in a number of films like Superman 2.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I also worked at the Royal Alexandra and Albert School the grounds of which doubled as the planet in the Blakes 7 episode Trial (Zil's Oneness!) and as the lake area of the Matrix in The Deadly Assassin. It's swimming pool was also used as the location for the most infamous part of that story, the Doctor with head underwater cliff hanger!

I live less than a mile from the quarry where the Zygon ship landed somewhere in the South East.

We're also not far from Amberley Museum which was used in A View to a Kill
    Bazinga !

I love the Amberley museum. Its great fun. I once spent an afternoon wandering round it with a group of old people and it was brilliant.

Ballochmyle viaduct, which I see every day, was used in the original Tom Cruise Mission Impossible film, only there it was situated near the Channel Tunnel rather than southwest Scotland!

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    Ballochmyle viaduct, which I see every day, was used in the original Tom Cruise Mission Impossible film, only there it was situated near the Channel Tunnel rather than southwest Scotland!
    Whenever I see that bit of the film i wonder whether US audiences really think there are sweeping hills and mountains between London and Kent
    Bazinga !

Well near me (with in a short drive anyway) is Rollright Stones where Stones of Blood was filmed & Oxford is 20minutes away where Morse solved crimes & then died & where Lewis now trawls the streets looking for Dons who've committed murder. Also Frost has been filmed around here as well.

But nothing famous, no.