Default Peter Capaldi is leaving

Apparently Capaldi has announced he's leaving this Christmas on Radio 2 this evening. So we'll have a new showrunner and a new Doctor in 2018...

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Oh dear - I wish he wasn't - but I understand his reasons why.

I really wanted to see how it would look with Capaldi under a new Producer, but then this is best for the show as Chris can now make a sweeping change.
    Filming finishes March.
    Capaldi could of beat Tennant's run but once again the curse of three!
    I was thinking at least Peter is on good enough terms with the show if a Time And The Rani situation occured, Capaldi would have even done an episode at the start of Series Eleven.
    But then again, back to the point of my first sentence.
    I'm at least geared in for a Victory Lap for this series. Although maybe it's because it hasn't been in this year, but for all this posting I have still 0% interest in who the next Doctor Who will be!

I'm really surprised - assuming it's true that he was asked to stay, but declined. It'll make for a very exciting Christmas, but as with Matt before him I can't help but feel that we've only just begun to get to know this Doctor before he'll be gone again. At least we've got a whole season to go!

The appropriate segment of last night's Jo Wiley show can be listened to here:

Peter Capaldi on the new series of Doctor Who "It'll be my last"

He does confirm that he was asked to stay and chose not to renew his contract beyond this year and he speaks very fondly of his time in the role.

It sounds like it was the right decision for him and I think some of the comments on social media comparing his era to that of Colin are way off the mark.

It's so disappointing. And I think it's disappointing because of Clara. She was OK in the first year, but in Capaldi's second year it felt as though they were extending her story arc beyond what was enjoyable. And then there was the arc running from Face The Raven to Hell Bent, which gave us a great episode in the middle but felt like such a hangover.

No disrespect to Jenna Coleman who is a wonderful actress but it made the show feel a bit stale. She was in it from September 2012 to December 2015, doing 37 episodes... meaning we haven't had a full-on "new companion" for four years now! I'm really looking forward to Pearl Mackie in the new show.

If Capaldi had done one more season, or even some extra specials last year it would have felt like enough. Ho hum.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I do agree that they made a mess of Clara's exit storyline (I would've been a lot happier if they'd shown her returning to the point of her death and left things more final).

From what's been said, Capaldi himself teamed up with Moffat to persuade her not to leave at the end of "Last Christmas", which in hindsight was probably a mistake so I don't think Moffat should get all the blame, although as show runner I guess the buck ultimately stops with him.

That aside, I do think series 9 was one of the strongest we've had of the 21st Century era and we've still got another 13 episodes (counting the xmas special) of the wonderful Capaldi to go.
    Last edited by Richard Brinck-Johnsen; 31st Jan 2017 at 10:50 AM. Reason: spacing

That's another thing that is ever-so-slightly annoying, the reduction from 13 episodes a season to 12. Although there is always now an episode that over-runs horribly.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Horses for courses I suppose, but for me Series 9 was the worst series since Season 24 and Series 8 only had two stand out episodes. Most of this has been the writing, but Capaldi's portrayal is still a big reason for me not liking the show so much now.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Not the best Doctor since the show came back, but not the weakest, and I also felt he was just getting going when he got up and went. And I'm not going to repeat myself concerning his run of stories not helping... Clara did overstay her welcome IMHO as well.

Peter who?

Are they still churning NuWho out...

Oh Ralph, if only you were down wit' da kidz. What was the last episode you watched?

Hi Steve, eh that would be a David Tennant one some time in 2006/7..... he's much better these days with his narrations on that BBC nature show with the "spy animals"

This was to be expected to be honest. It does seem that anyone who takes on the role will only do 3 series.

I'm looking forward to the next series & to finding out who will be the next Doctor.