Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shia LaBoeuf! He's almost eccentric enough.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Tom Ellis would also make a good Doctor. He'd get the Tennent viewers back.

If we're going for a woman, what about Oona Chaplin?

I wasn't impressed with her po-faced staring in Taboo.

Someone called Phoebe Waller-Bridge is now favourite.

Apparently so, yes. I've never heard of her - although apparently she's also in the next 'Star Wars Story' film about young Han Solo (not, I presume, as Han Solo).

Isn't Wallerbridge a small market town in Shropshire? (Yes, you can tell they don't explain anything important to me either!)

Isn't Wallerbridge a small market town in Shropshire?
    Introducing the new Doctor... Market Harborough.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wasn't he the lead singer of A-Ha?

No Dave, that was Moreton Harwood. Not to be confused with Garden Morefield, who played Jack's boss in The Sweeney.

Or Welwyn Garden City, the football team who played one of the Goodies. (Mr. Oddie still beat them 3-0!)

A quick look at the Bookies' Favourites reveals that Ben Whishaw, Tilda Swinton and Phoebe Waller-Bridge have been top of the list lately. Too busy, too expensive, too cool?

Never mind too cool - my brother heard on the rumour mill that they'd chosen Miranda "puts the prat in pratfalling" Hart. Seriously! If he's wrong, I'll kill him. If he's right, I'll kill him. Slowly. Twice.

The latest I've heard suggests it almost certainly won't be a woman but after today's news I wouldn't rule anything out.

I feel a bit sorry for Chibnall on this - even though every time they're casting we get the "could be a woman" story this time, for the first time, I get the sense that if it isn't a woman, it'll be used as a stick to beat Doctor Who with: "Oh look, another [white?] male, how dull." Which is a great shame, for many reasons not least of which is that it would sort of judge Chibnall on his first decision, before we've even seen a minute of screentime from his era.

You could well be right, Andrew.

The latest 'news' or rumour to reach me is that it almost certainly won't be a woman & it is much more likely to be someone more Tennant than Capaldi.

I think they want their audience back that consisted of 30' something Ladies (and Men).

I don't think they should fall into the trap of picking someone other than a white male (boring and predictable as that option may seem to some!) just to tick a few politically correct boxes regarding diversity (although if the right combination of inspired casting of an excellent actor/actress and excellent scripting were to occur it could be great), but what they've got to remember that many of those clamouring for change are those who wouldn't be watching the series anyway, regardless of who was playing the role...many just get satisfaction in demanding, and help bring about, change. What they (the BBC) need to do is what's best for the series future, not what outsiders with an agenda want them to do.

Take Marvel Comics as a case in point, as they have recently found this out to their cost; sidelining many of their most famous characters such as Bruce Banner (Hulk), Tony Stark (Iron Man), Steve Rogers (Captain America), Clint Barton (Hawkeye), not to mention Thor and Wolverine and replaced them younger/coloured/asian/female versions of the characters. So pandering to a perceived demand for more racial/sexual diversity we now have an Asian Hulk, a young teenage female Iron Man (Iron Girl?), a coloured Captain America (although apparently the original has returned so now we have 2 versions!) and female Hawkeye, Thor and Wolverine all to satisfy the perceived demand. And what happened? Sales have plummeted...many have came to the conclusion that those demanding change were doing so just because they wanted to see it happen, not because they were comic readers or would actually even read them after they changes they desired happened. So Marvel have found themselves in something of a predicament at the moment...hopefully the BBC will see this and not make the same mistakes with Doctor Who...

I had a very interesting conversation with Angela & her friend. They both no longer watch Doctor Who because the stories are too complicated & the Doctor too old. They would like to see it return to the RTD & Tennant era of stories & totty. The phrase "Tennant & Rose were great" was used alot; however wrong that may be to confuse an actor & character.

Rumours doing the rounds this morning that Kris Marshall is to replace Peter Capaldi. How much truth there is, I don't know.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/16/kris-m...stmas-6577590/
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

It's all over the papers apparently. I'd quite like it to be true to be honest. I really liked him in Death in Paradise.

I have only ever seen him in comedy roles.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Eh, I wouldn't be devastated if it was Marshall but I don't particularly want it to be him, he's an okay actor but I can't see him as the Doctor. Plus he's 44 and I have a feeling the beeb will want to go with someone younger and prettier (not that that's necessarily a good thing either).
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

It could be a double bluff of course, but for me the fact that the season trailer shows Capaldi apparently regenerating at the end makes it almost certain that he WON'T. Also, assuming that Moffat is definitely writing the Christmas special I can't quite see him penning Chibnall's Doctor's intro (if you see what I mean).

Kris Marshall is OK in what I've seen him in, but granted that is only episodes of My Family and those BT ads... He just seems a bit 'obvious' if you know what I mean. Maybe he's guesting in the Christmas Special and somebody has put 2 and 2 together to make 13...?

Capaldi did confirm on Friday's Graham Norton that he has filmed his Doctor's "death" but also that he will be in the Christmas special.
    I think we can expect some misdirection and surprises later in the series.

Sent from my G620S-L01 using Tapatalk

Maybe KM is going to be a new Master.

The BBC hasn't rushed out to confirm that it is Kris Marshall - usually if something is leaked they admit it straight away, like with the spoiler return of certain characters later this season. Which gives me hope it will be someone else.

I'm sure Kris would be fine, but he's a very dull choice in my view. If it is him then it would be the first time I've found a new Doctor choice to be disappointing. Eccleston was fantastic, Tennant was inevitable, Matt Smith was intriguing and Capaldi was exciting too.