Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Who Next for Who!

Here we are again then, ladies & gentlemen - another thread for speculating, suggesting, recommending and arguing over who should be the new/next/Chibnall/2018 Doctor?

And don't forget what Tom Baker once told us, the new Doctor could be a woman...

Olivia Colman with a dodgy wig/accent!

Hugh Laurie!

Every time there's a regeneration, I always say Andrew Lincoln. Sadly, he is still busy killing Zombies in The Walking Dead. So, this time round, I am going to say that I would like to see Matthew MacFadyen as I have heard that Ripper Street is coming to an end. Alternatively, Rufus Sewell.

If the role goes to a female, then either Katie Mcgrath or Arabella Weir.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Damien Molony would be great. And he has a surname that's easily misspelt!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Iwan Rheon - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iwan_Rheon

Olivia Colman with a dodgy wig/accent!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Apparently the bookies' favourite is currently Ben Whishaw so it almost certainly won't be him... more's the pity.

Really? I wouldn't think he'd have the time to do it.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

We're more likely to get Richard Ayoade than Ben Whishaw.

What's happened to this guy who everyone was mentioning last time, Chiwetel Umeadi Ejiofor?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Allegedly Ejiofor is the actor who was actually offered the part back in 2008 when they were casting for Eleven but for whatever reason didn't sign on the dotted line so it ended up going to Matt.
    In some respects a great shame but thankfully Matt was an astonishingly good Doctor.

At this stage I think the bookies are just touting for business. Some of the names being suggested are out of the question such as Rory Kinnear who's on record as having said he doesn't like the series. Given that Whishaw was being touted back in 2008/9 I somehow doubt he's any more likely to take it now, although he's probably the right sort of age that they'll be looking for.
    I like Si's suggestion of Damien Molony. He's the right age and isn't too well known to want to do it.

Capaldi and Daniel Craig are going to switch roles.

Daniel Craig?! Too short, too blonde, too wide, too Welsh, too expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Damien Molony would be great. And he has a surname that's easily misspelt!
    Watch out whoever does DWM's cover then!

On the plus side, so that they can clear the decks for the "new" production team to start in the summer (so hopefully series 11 will also be ready to start on Easter Saturday which next year will be 31st March), they'll be filming the Christmas special in March/April so we shouldn't have too long to wait for the unveiling of Thirteen.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    too Welsh
    You can never be too Welsh. Ruth Madoc for the next Doctor!

On the plus side, so that they can clear the decks for the "new" production team to start in the summer
    No! I demand that Doctor Who has at least two years rest before coming back. Maybe we can have a five minute special for Children In Need but we don't want to over-saturate the market.

Then once we have a new series of ten x thirty-five minute episodes, we must wait another forty-seven months for the next series. Which will be longer, it will be eleven x twenty-five minute episodes broadcast on Tuesday afternoons in 2028. After that, Chibnall and the new Doctor (played by Will.I.Am) will definitely need to retire. "It's the strain you know on working with such a punishing schedule".

Tom Baker will return to the role aged 100 and continue for another 10 years, producing the show himself. He will star in forty x ninety minute episodes per year, all filmed in and around an old people's home in Suffolk. This will be a grim and gritty version, mainly consisting of the Doctor telling cats to "f*** off".

Do we think, given that the Master has now become Missy, that it's more or less likely to be a female Doctor this time around? I know they always say that they cast 'the best person' for the job, but in reality I don't believe that would mean a female Doctor unless they proactively looked for one - although I do expect that this time (possibly for the first time?) there will be a fair mix of male and female names being put through by hopeful agents to the Beeb.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    No! I demand that Doctor Who has at least two years rest before coming back. Maybe we can have a five minute special for Children In Need but we don't want to over-saturate the market.

Then once we have a new series of ten x thirty-five minute episodes, we must wait another forty-seven months for the next series. Which will be longer, it will be eleven x twenty-five minute episodes broadcast on Tuesday afternoons in 2028. After that, Chibnall and the new Doctor (played by Will.I.Am) will definitely need to retire. "It's the strain you know on working with such a punishing schedule".

Tom Baker will return to the role aged 100 and continue for another 10 years, producing the show himself. He will star in forty x ninety minute episodes per year, all filmed in and around an old people's home in Suffolk. This will be a grim and gritty version, mainly consisting of the Doctor telling cats to "f*** off".
    Be careful what you wish for!
    It seems I spoke too soon with my anticipation of the series staying with a regular Spring slot. It seems BBC sources are now suggesting that series 11 won't begin filming until next January for broadcast in Autumn 2018. Worse still it seems that the guessing game over Who's Who may go on for another six months...
    In the space of 36 hours social media has already turned blue with arguments over whether the next Doctor should be non caucasian or female or non-binary. Six months of this could overtake Brexit and Trump in the controversy stakes...

That seems very bizarre - I got the feeling that, without necessarily admitting it, the Beeb had concluded that the Spring slot seems to be better for Who than the Autumn one, hence season 10 arriving this April rather than last September. Seems odd they'd then go for yet another long break to put it back in the Autumn. Time will tell I guess, although that's almost like having an 80s hiatus between every season

Except given that S10 finishes on 1st July (assuming no gaps in transmission) it'll only be 14/15 months between series and we still get the Christmas special in the middle so it's not quite as bad as the year long gap we just had, which in hindsight does seem to have been a strategic error and at least they don't seem to be in a hurry to repeat that one.

Allegedly, one of the issues is that Chibnall is still working on the edits for the final series of Broadchurch ahead of its broadcast later this month and wants to have a break before he starts work on the behemoth that is New Who and has no time for holidays for the next few years.

Tim Curry would be a bit difficult as the Doctor now as he had a stroke and uses a wheel chair. Unless the planets he saves have ramps.

True story- The other night I dream't that (in an obvious Who/Not Going Out crossover) Lee Mack was the Doctor but had trouble regenerating due to a hangover. When he did regenerate, it was into Daniel Mays. At which point I woke up and thought Great Idea!

Or Kris Marshall has quit Death in Paradise...

Linus Roache is also a name being bandied about. I'd like that! Or failing that .... Bill Roache

We can't have a roach playing the Doctor! It's not that I'm roach-ist, merely that I don't think general audiences will go for it.

I like the idea of Kris Marshall.