View Poll Results: How would you rate Smile?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 - Happy smiley joy joy

0 0%
  • 9 - Happy smiley joy

1 7.69%
  • 8 - Happy smiley

9 69.23%
  • 7 - Happy

1 7.69%
  • 6 - Bit happy

1 7.69%
  • 5 - Nothing

0 0%
  • 4 - Bit sad

0 0%
  • 3 - Saddy

0 0%
  • 4 - Saddy sad

1 7.69%
  • 1 - Saddy McSadface

0 0%

Thumbs up Rate and Discuss: Smile

Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I really enjoyed that. Have to say I had concerns about Frank Cottrell-Boyce due to his episode last year but this was a lot of fun, Capaldi's finally nailing it in every scene now, I'm really growing to love Bill, and wish Clara had ****'d off ages ago so we could have had more of her and Capaldi. I thought it was beautifully shot as well, and I love the brightness and the vivid colours that we've had so far this year, and hope it's something thing we see more of.

A very solid 8/10.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

The ghost of his last episode he wrote cancelled out!
    There was a lot I liked, and it stepped up from the OK episode before.
    Plus I loved the way it set up the next episode. Hope they try and keep that linkage going.
    Is linkage an actual word?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Very enjoyable. It looked fresh and new, the TARDIS sat in the wheatfield was gorgeous, and although I had no problem with Clara as the companion, it's always nice to get a change. Bill has settled in very nicely, and there's something fresh and fun about her, and the Doctor too.

In other news, I see Helen A's Twitter feed is full of praise for the sterling work of the robots in the early part of the episode. So that's nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Very enjoyable. It looked fresh and new, the TARDIS sat in the wheatfield was gorgeous, and although I had no problem with Clara as the companion, it's always nice to get a change. Bill has settled in very nicely, and there's something fresh and fun about her, and the Doctor too.

In other news, I see Helen A's Twitter feed is full of praise for the sterling work of the robots in the early part of the episode. So that's nice.

The Vardies and the Vashta Nerada should have a competition to see who can reduce a human to a skelington in the quickest time!

Last edited by Richard Brinck-Johnsen; 23rd Apr 2017 at 6:39 PM.

I really enjoyed this too. Capaldi has nailed it as the Doctor now, he was good before but now that he has lightened up a bit he has really shined. That has easily been the most enjoyable opening two episodes of a season since the series returned, it's much more fun than the darkness of the past few years.

And next weeks episode really looks good as well, doesn't it? This is shaping up as a great season...let's hope this quality continues and Moffat and Capaldi go out on a high

It wasn't a particularly meaty story, with little in terms of plot. The emoji robots will probably make this story quite dated in a few years, but it was still a nice enough watch and a step up on last season's offerings. I'm really taking to Bill as a character.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Something's wrong - we're only two episodes in, but I'm enjoying it this year. (There's my least two favourite Masters to look forward to, so there's still room for fan-nag...)

Anyway. Smile - The Happiness Patrol done right. Ah, emoji = emoticon! Understood that eventually. And the building looking after itself, waiting for the colonists and getting it wrong - Mechonoids done right, and Paradise towers with a proper effect budget.

/10

I need to watch this again. I can't give it better than a 6/10 at the moment.

I quite enjoyed this. One issue I had was trying to make out some of the dialogue. It's just quite noisy and not clear. I am actually a little deaf though so am wondering if its just me that has this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    It wasn't a particularly meaty story, with little in terms of plot. The emoji robots will probably make this story quite dated in a few years, but it was still a nice enough watch and a step up on last season's offerings. I'm really taking to Bill as a character.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    A more frightening thought is that the emoji robots will make the episode still relevant 2,000 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by davethesailor View Post
    I quite enjoyed this. One issue I had was trying to make out some of the dialogue. It's just quite noisy and not clear. I am actually a little deaf though so am wondering if its just me that has this issue?
    I have to keep the sound up a bit as well, because of the dialogue. Which is annoying when loud sfx go off...

I wonder if Erehwon has meaning for the future or whether it's just a throwaway?

Quote Originally Posted by egdcltd View Post
    I wonder if Erehwon has meaning for the future or whether it's just a throwaway?
    Behold! Lord Pedant holds forth, speaks fifth and comes ninety-eight in the North of England solo synchronised swimming championships:-

Erewhon is the name of a novel published in 1872 by Samuel Butler. Most of the book is a description of a Victorian utopia, where criminals are treated as ill and sick people are treated as criminals, and where the Erewhonians believe machinery to be untrustworthy. Coincidentally...

And it beats Under Milk Wood's Llareggub, Terry Pratchett's Llamedos and the Parrot Sketch's Notlob as an interesting palindrome.

I met an Emperor made of algae once. He fancied me.

I'm not surprised...

I really enjoyed this!

It was definitely channelling The Ark In Space, which is fine by me as that's still my favourite DW story, and yes, there were also shades of the Happiness Patrol but I liked the twist of the 'doing it for what they saw as the right reasons' approach.

The visual aspect of this episode was awesome, particularly the TARDIS in the cornfield, and I continue to like Billy - she's very astute but in a non- know-it-all way, which is more than can be said for certain recent companions.

And Capaldi rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by egdcltd View Post
    It may be just a throwaway line...it is also 'Now Here' backwards.

Also I've gone up to 7/10