• 2 - No Ice

0 0%
  • 1 - Icy McIceface

0 0%

Default Rate and Discuss: Thin Ice

What did you think of Thin Ice?
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Best one of this series so far. I'm a lot happier with this series than the last couple.
    The human enemy could of been a bit more prominent. If this gets referenced later in the series (Although there's nothing much that needs further explanation) it could only add to it.
    But still a deserved 8.

Yes, lovely episode. Bill is so likeable, and the Doctor is clearly enjoying being 'out and about' again. I loved the indulgent smile he gives Bill as she goes back into the TARDIS to find some clothes.

Lots of nice touches in this one, Capaldi really at the top of his game.

Capaldi finally getting a good start to the season.

I've said it before (and will no doubt say it again) but I think he's been badly let down by Steven Moffat who was more interested in Sherlock.
    A pot of coffee, 12 jammie dodgers and a fez...

I enjoyed it a great deal as well, Mackie is superb in the role and Capaldi shines because of her. It was perhaps a tiny bit slow in places, and the bad guy was a little weak but bar that I liked it a lot, and it gets a very sold 7/10 from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Curnow View Post
    Capaldi finally getting a good start to the season.

I've said it before (and will no doubt say it again) but I think he's been badly let down by Steven Moffat who was more interested in Sherlock.
    I think the problem is that he didn't quite know what to do with Capaldi initially, during his first season he was all gloomy and asking Clara "Am I good man?" when the entire audience knew the answer was yes, whilst season two was a lot better and brighter but occasionally forced, and the way he sometimes slipped in to doing an impression of Tom Baker seemed a bit odd. But now he's finally owning the role, and finally had a decent companion too, I know we're only three episodes in but I'm feeling pretty confident it'll be his best year yet. Unless they bring Clara back for the finale. But no...no...they wouldn't do that to me, would they?
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Bill's concerns about being snatched off the street by slavers are based on a mix of the ignorance of a 21st century British comprehensive education and the myths propagated by the fact that secondary and tertiary education in the Anglosphere are strongholds of the hard left.

See also that supposed "1950s racist Australian government document" that went viral, even though it used such terms as "indigenous Australians", a term which was not in use in the 1950s and did not come into wide use until the 1990s. In the 1950s, they were called Aboriginal Australians.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Unless they bring Clara back for the finale. But no...no...they wouldn't do that to me, would they?
    I do hope not! We want him to go out on a high.
    A pot of coffee, 12 jammie dodgers and a fez...

It was an interesting episode. The start very much reminded me of The Shakespeare Code- the dialogue had a similar tone and content. I suppose, given the Doctor's punching a racist antics, that was sort of the point of it being there though.

The story was fine. The pacing was a bit less frenetic and that worked, as it built the tension nicely throughout. And again Peter and Pearl had some really fantastic interplay. They're a joy to watch after the rather off relationship between the Doctor and Clara in the last season. So much more fun!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I've found that Dr Capaldi's a bit like his predecessor - just as he's getting the hang of it, he's leaving.

Another good story, and based round historical events - the last time the Thames froze long enough to hold a rave on was 1st-5th of February 1814; an elephant did walk on the ice; but spoilsport scientists blame global warming for there not being any more frost fairs. Maybe it was all that greenhouse gas from the fish droppings... (If Lord Pedant can find something factual in next week's episode as well, it'll be a new record!)

8/10. So long and thanks for all the... Well, quite!