View Poll Results: Knock Knock - Who's There?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 - Mikey who? Mikey doesn't fit in the keyhole!

0 0%
  • 9 - Hatch who? Bless you, but please cover your mouth next time.

3 37.50%
  • 8 - Xavier who? Xavier breath and open the door!

0 0%
  • 7 - Yacht who? Yacht a know me by now!

2 25.00%
  • 6 - Heaven who? Heaven you had enough of these jokes?

2 25.00%
  • 5 - To who? To whom.

0 0%
  • 4 - Howard who? Howard I know?

1 12.50%
  • 3 - I did up who? AHAHAHA. YOU DID A POO!

0 0%
  • 2 - "Interrupting cow!" "Interrupt--" "Moo!!!"

0 0%
  • 1 - Thermos who? Thermos be a better knock-knock joke than this!

0 0%

Default Rate and Discuss: Knock Knock

Knock Knock.
    Who's There?
    You Said It!

NOW RATE AND DISCUSS IT.

I wondered if they'd go for a classic series style ending, like Image of the Fendahl or Horror of Fang Rock. Guess not.

Loving the poll options, Mr McCow!!

I also enjoyed the episode - very rare for Doctor Who to make me squirm, the last time was the trailer for the unzipping foreheads in Aliens of London in fact, but the insects crawling over Harry and co tonight made me squirm (rather than squee, as I believe the cool kidz say).

David Suchet was of course brilliant, even striking a tuning fork against the wall was spooky. Nice idea for an episode, maybe not quite enough to properly fill the episode hence a rather long time before anything much happened. Interesting spin to have a situation where the companion is embarrassed by the Doctor's presence (have we ever seen that before?).

Maybe not quite as enjoyable as last week's but all in all another strong episode that's hard to really complain too much about - a strong series this so far, I've always liked Capaldi anyway but this year he seems to be enjoying it more than ever; and Bill is a real delight, really loving the interaction between her and the Doc' (whose ever laughed at 'Timelords' before?).

Quite good this Dr Who TV program, isn't it?

It all fell apart in the last ten minutes for me. Seemed a drop off from the last couple of episodes.
    Great guest star though. Every scene he was in was intriguing. But it just didn't seem to get under my skin or interest me. If this turns out to be my least enjoyed episode from this series then I'm glad it's out of the way.
    Would still vote David Suchet as best guest star in DWM poll though, so not knocking it as completely awful.

I also felt it fell apart somewhat towards the end. It started off really well, and was very creepy, however, the reveal wasn't as good as I'd hoped it would be. Up until the last 10/15 minutes, it was probably the best story of the season so far. However, with the last bit included it falls behind Thin Ice and about on par with Pilot which means it's still better than the whole of last season.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Bringing everyone back to life seemed a cop out. How were they reconstituted? Hadn't they basically been eaten? No matter how much I might regret eating something, I'm not going to be able to return it to its former state. And what about all the others devoured over the years, why weren't they brought back as well? Okay, Bill might have felt a bit bad if her friends had died after she'd told the Doctor nothing was going on, but it did feel a bit lazy.

I was disappointed by the ending too, up until then I enjoyed it a fair bit but the fairly simplistic resolution and all the kids coming back to life spoilt it for me. Not a terrible episode by any means but I only rated it 6/10 and it was the first disappointment of the season for me.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Loved it. Really spooky and atmospheric. David Suchet was an absolute joy to watch.

The closing revelations didn't quite work, I didn't buy in to the wood lady forgetting that the landlord was her son. But I still enjoyed the episode a lot.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I loved it too - but yes the ending was a bit weak. So have all the students retained the memory about what's happened to them? If students were going missing on a regular basis then wouldn't there be more intensive investigations?

David Suchet was indeed a delight to watch, wish he had more scenes with Peter.

What a cracker of a season so far eh?

I can get the wood woman not remembering David Suchet was her son as she hadn't been well for a long time. But shouldn't the students have stayed dead when she absorbed him? Surely the point of giving her new students every few years was the same as any other meal - you can't keep going off that burger and chips you ate in 1973 indefinitely?

Otherwise a good, atmospheric ending; just a point off, Mr Moffat, for forgetting that people occasionally stay dead in real life, which you've been told enough times by now. 7/10

I thought David Suchet was superb. Just the right amount of menace- really well pitched. Actually it was really well cast- all the housemates were great and distinctive, even the ones bumped off quickly.

I wonder if the story might fall apart on rewatching though. There are a couple of convenient plot points and the ending was a bit Guy Crayford, but the atmosphere of the thing was what sold it.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

9/10.

I really enjoyed this. As Si said, the atmosphere sold it. I haven't enjoyed a series of Doctor Who so much since Tennant left.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Neither have I. What the hell went wrong?!

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    9/10.

I really enjoyed this. As Si said, the atmosphere sold it. I haven't enjoyed a series of Doctor Who so much since Tennant left.
    To be honest, I haven't enjoyed the beginning of a series of Doctor Who so much since Tom Baker left...!*

Another great episode, slightly spoiled by the ending. It was the performances and the atmosphere which really made this...although it's sad that they seem afraid to have supporting characters truly killed off as they were back in the day, it just takes some of the drama away, doesn't it? Not a fault only of this story in particular but it pops up a bit too often for my liking. It should just be part and parcel of the series...good people, likeable characters get killed off just to show how bad the villain really is. What's wrong with just having a plain old-fashioned bad guy these days?

* I don't know if it's just me when it comes to ranking stories, but I seem to have different criteria when it comes to classic series and new series. I've seen myself giving a new series episode say 8/10 and later thinking that it's nowhere near as good as Pyramids/Talons/Genesis etc so why do I rate some of them them so highly? Is it just becuase much of what we've seen in recent years has been so disappointing?

To be fair, this series so far hasn't shirked from the odd death or three - Heather in ep 1, and the boy with the red hat in ep 3... not to mention almost everyone in ep 2!! Whether they thought that if they also killed off most of her housemates, it would be difficult for us to believe in Bill as a carefree adventurer this early in the run...?

I got the impression that they'd killed everyone off, got to the end and then someone pointed out it was going to be a bit of a downer having killed off all of Bill's friends. Leaving them uncertain as to where to go from there so they simply resurrected everyone. In the old series, when they killed off all the supporting cast said cast had no real emotional connection to the regulars. In the new series, because people are able to pop in and out of their normal lives, this isn't so much the case.

There's something about this year that feels more Traditional, more Who-ey than the series has been for a long time. I'm not one of those people who argues that early Tom Baker was the best era ever, but lots of this year has the FEEL of the best Doctor Who you ever (or never) had. It feels like a Tom Baker era story, somehow. It feels like great Doctor Who, with the team arriving and exploring and then creepy things happening. A Mojo has definitely been re-located.

Si.

but lots of this year has the FEEL of the best Doctor Who you ever (or never) had
    They've reached a good balance, haven't they? I remember Capaldi asking for longer scenes with more talking and that effect was very visible in Season 9 (Zygon Inversion in particular). We've got an ongoing storyline but it's not infesting every scene and it's not completely baffling, like Clara's suicidal streak.

Even better, this business of the Doctor dropping his companion off at home doesn't seem annoying when he's tied in to the University like this. How and why Amy and Clara were keeping their jobs down while they were off in the TARDIS was a mystery to me.

Also, I adore the lecture scenes. I loved the bit in Under The Lake / Before The Flood where he was talking directly to the camera, but here it's better because he's got a real, in-show audience.

For once, having a year off seems to have benefitted the show.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

4 out of 10

I've slowly been catching up with this series, and giving fairly low scores, not always sure why. But I think, at this point it is because the show has been incredibly dull. There doesn't seem to be any dynamism or excitement in the episodes for me, it's as though everyone is going through the motions and some stories weren't finished properly.

Tonight's should have been superb with a creepy house and a thunderstorm (look at the episode with Eleven & Clara ghost hunting), but we started with drippy/annoying/thick students who I was willing to get bumped off and ended with a bizarre resolution and embarrassingly forced emotion.
    If the mother has been dying since the late Seventies, why was only a small boy there to care for her? Nobody else to notice she was slowly turning to wood. Where did the alien lice come from and why limit themselves to this house? Why change the woman to wood in the first place and not absorb her into the house? Groups of people have been vanishing since the seventies (why every twenty years) and no one noticed. When the mother resurrected Bill's house mates, why not bring back all the other victims. How did the landlord appear out of nowhere, he's a normal human?