View Poll Results: How would you rate Episode Seven?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pinnacle in the Middle of the Season

0 0%
  • Nine Pharoahs Ruling

0 0%
  • Eight Wilsons Keppling

0 0%
  • Seven Veils Unveiling

3 60.00%
  • Six Sphinxes S-thinking

2 40.00%
  • Five Golden Deaths

0 0%
  • Four Cleos Carrying On

0 0%
  • Three Nasty Asps

0 0%
  • Twotankhamun

0 0%
  • Drivel at the Bottom of the Barrel

0 0%

Default Rate and Discuss: The Pyramid At The End Of The World

Episode Seven of Twelve, part two of a monk-y trilogy, and a definite contender for 'Longest Story Title Ever'.

What did YOU (yes, you!) think of tonight's episode of BBC TV's popular teatime serial, Doctor Who?

I enjoyed it a lot. It took a little while to get going and some of the acting was a bit dodgy, but otherwise it was an engaging and very solid episode, and I can't wait to see where it's all leading to. 7/10.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Well, this one has certainly got everybody talking hasn't it!

One thing I wondered about was who built the road up to the pyramid if it had only just appeared.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    One thing I wondered about was who built the road up to the pyramid if it had only just appeared.
    Maybe it landed on someone's home, or a McDonald's, or something!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

For the first half, I thought it was awful. Like last years Zygon story (by the same writer), I don't like my Doctor Who to be full of soldiers, foreign countries, diplomatic missions etc. And wasn't it dull! In 10 years (or if you want to be dramatic, 36), I've NEVER before felt inclined to stop an episode on broadcast, but Simon just couldn't stay awake! And he wasn't even tired. We had to halt the episode and get some refreshment to wake us up.

One big bug bear on top of the dullness - like the Zygon one, I'm sorry but I just can't buy the whole future of the human race being determined by three people! It's just ridiculous. Firstly, where were all the other world leaders? You wouldn't just invite China, the US and the UK! Secondly, there would be DOZENS of people required for each country. And even if the negotiators limited it, they would still insist on at least ten - security at the very least - for each country. And each nation would insist on details and questions and terms and considerations. You wouldn't just get a woman from China in the room going "Yeah, okay then!" at the prospect of giving the planet to some aliens. Of course, we know this is all down to budget but if you can't attempt it without it looking ludicrous, don't do it!

The second half was a bit better. I liked the credible threat created from the Doctor being blind (him not being able to open the door) and the Monks were at least very good. And it was chilling the way they destroyed people and the ending made sense.

Again, though, the lab scenes felt bizarre. Two people on their own accidentally create a virus to work out humanity. Where was everyone else? They looked very lonely in there. Budget cuts have made it seem like a big fire alarm has gone off in the season and 90% of the guest cast have scarpered.

I'm afraid that like last week, this felt like a sorry return to the drearyness of last year, with lots of scenes of dull human being talking. Where was the adventure? Where was the action?

Si.

The question is, was it Bill's reaction to the imminent death of the Doctor that the monk-things had predicted with their simulation? The whole carbon-based-lifeform destroying virus threat being something to simply put him at risk, along with his blindness? And what an astonishingly chunky and primitive-looking combination lock! It looks like he would have been able to read the dials with his fingers!

Definitely the worst episode of this season so far; currently it looks like they've padded out a story that wasn't really long enough for two episodes, this and the next (the first in the trilogy stood by itself to a large degree).

I'm giving it a 7 because we're not allowed to give 6 and a half. As Si said, it did feel at times to be a rehash of the Zygon story, and having a few randomly-chosen not-great actors felt like oh, we've spent so much on the monsters and the Keys Of Marinus interior-ripoff pyramid and the lab set, we can't deal with the smaller details. The story had a little bit more filling to it than last week, although the lab an Missy bits did feel, get to the point, could you? Ah well, it's over next week. It's nice to know that they can still make a classic series six-parter - a promising four-parter if only they didn't have to worry about padding it out!