View Poll Results: How would rate The Empress of Mars?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 - Very Empressive

0 0%
  • 9 - Left an Empression

0 0%
  • 8 - Empressionable

2 28.57%
  • 7 - Nice Warrior

5 71.43%
  • 6 - Martian On Average

0 0%
  • 5 - Martian In The Middle

0 0%
  • 4 - Chilly Reception

0 0%
  • 3 - Not Empressed

0 0%
  • 2 - D-Red-ful Planet

0 0%
  • 1 - Load of Mars

0 0%

Default Rate and Discuss: The Empress of Mars

A thread for dissssssssscusssssssssssssssing the new ssssssssssssssssseriesssssssssssssss episssssssssssssssssode The Empresssssssssssssssssssss of Marssssssssssssssssss.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Was a fairly decent 7/10 then Alpha Centauri turned up and made my day.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Okay, why was the Doctor in Mission Control? I thought that was because he knew the message was going to be there at first, but it looks like seeing the message is what made him go to Mars.

That was a little odd I agree, but I think we're just supposed to assume he was taking Bill & Nardole sight-seeing at NASA. Maybe it a little nod towards HG Wells The First Men in the Moon, doesn't that start with 'present day' astronauts finding an old union jack already on the surface of the moon...?

Really enjoyed the episode. It looked from last week's trailer that it was going to be a little bit like Zulu ("that's a film" as Bill might say) and although there was a bit of that, in fact it was a strong little episode which actually avoided a massacre. I guess we're supposed to assume at the end that all the other soldiers were allowed to return home in the repaired Martian spaceship that they had originally arrived in?

Nice little touch with Alpha Centauri, and some good moments - the bit where the tombs (sorry, hives) of the Cybermen (sorry, Ice Warriors) lit up as they awoke was very striking, as were the images of them climbing out of the ground and shaking the red dust off their shells.

After a couple of 'also ran' eps with the Space Monks, this was much more entertaining!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    That was a little odd I agree, but I think we're just supposed to assume he was taking Bill & Nardole sight-seeing at NASA.
    Yeah, that was very briefly mentioned at the beginning of the episode, and it was just a coincidence they arrived at a point when a major event took place. Well, that and the Tardis always doing things like that.

I thought this had a really strong start, a dodgy middle, and a decent ending. The portrayal of the ice warriors was effective and most of the soldiers were well fleshed out, but it just dragged a little too much to be considered a great episode. 7/10.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I might have missed this, but do we know why the TARDIS decided to dematerialise when Nardy returned to it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I initially thought it might be the HADS but on reflection I suspect it's something to do with the mystery surrounding Nardole...

Sent from my G620S-L01 using Tapatalk

I think we might just be supposed to take it as being some random TARDIS fault, only there to prompt Missy being let out.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I think we might just be supposed to take it as being some random TARDIS fault, only there to prompt Missy being let out.
    I actually presumed Missy had caused it somehow. I'm currently guessing that it may be connected to the finale in some way.

Better than the last 3 weeks but still had some glaring plot holes. Its good to have the new series do an enjoyable Ice Warriors story

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Back to fun, original adventure stories after the drudgery of the Monks trilogy. I really enjoyed it. The supporting 'base under seige' characters (maybe because they were fruitily Victorian and not just Random Future Base Personnel) were all interesting and well played, even if I can't remember their names. There was some nice action and suspense, we got to see lots of Ice Warriors at once (it would have annoyed me if there'd been only two) plus the Ice Queen was a good creation, even if she did sound a lot like the Empress of the Racnoss.

Only complaint was it bugs me that the TARDIS took off for no explained reason seemingly to get rid of Nardole, and it almost veered towards that genre I hate - the Story That Takes Place In One Room, we could have seen a bit more of Mars.

Overall, we're back on track, although next weeks looks a bit dull.

Si.

although next weeks looks a bit dull.
    That trailer really didn't sell next week's episode did it? It's a bit dark! There are Romans and a monster. Not much special to hang an episode on is it?

Within two minutes, well I know I'm daft but I'd forgotten there was a trailer to begin with.

Back to the watchable episodes again. I wonder if that girl from Whose Doctor Who and her mum were chasing eachother round the room and hissing at eachother? (They're as mad as we are if they were!) Cold War must have done a good job to have sold the Ice Warriors if they've come back again, and I hope Ian Levine's happy!

7/10

More of case that Mark Gatiss really wanted to bring them back again and realised this might be his last chance to do so. Thank goodness we didn't end up with a dire sequel to Sleep No More.

As for next week... it is the Rona Munro episode and features one of the more interesting mysteries of Roman/Scots history (google The Eagle of the Ninth). That said I'll be on holiday so I won't be watching it until the day before episode 11.

Funnily enough the phrase "Sleep no more!" made it into the episode.

Naff!

I defy the writers of next series to come up with a script which features Timelash, The Underwater Menace and Frontier In Space in the dialogue!

Okay, just what the heck was the weapon the Ice Warriors were using? They're normally said to have sonic weapons, but I can't remember them turning people into rubber balls before. The old Master's Tissue Compression Eliminator is the closest thing I remember, and that made dolls, not balls.

The weapons were odd wern't they? But you somehow felt that you shouldn't complain, given that someone had at least gone to the trouble of doing something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    The weapons were odd wern't they? But you somehow felt that you shouldn't complain, given that someone had at least gone to the trouble of doing something different.
    I'd be happy just to know what they were supposed to be! It's bugging me!

They are Bouncy Ball Guns. It's in the Martian Catalogue Of New Weaponry 2017.

Si.