Default The most plugged series so far ?

Hello !

Been a stranger recently (some of you young 'uns may vaguely remember me). Sadly life has got on the way.

Haven't watched any of the latest series yet (TBH, haven't watched the end of the last series or the Xmas special either) - again, blame life. Looking forward to a good binge watch when the nights start drawing in later in the year.

Still enjoying everyone's feedback and thoughts on the episodes so far and will join in once I've seen them.

BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is my social media full of so much plugging for EVERY SINGLE EPISODE ?? It's not like DWM where I can choose to not read the preview or the reviews. These f###ing videos just open up without asking me , or posts (from non PS members I hasten to add) on FB that assume that everyone watches the episode live and infodumps spoilers by the score.
    There's the preview vid - where the Moff tells me its the best episode EVER (and EVEN BETTER than the last time he said that). There's the FAN SHOW that wants to SHOUT AT ME HOW GREAT IT WAS 30 seconds after the episode finished airing. There's the behind the scenes video of someone I've never seen wittering on about how great it was to be in DW. There's 30 seconds of guest star blather about this and that. There's the post episode vid from Moff or someone else that seems determined to explain the subtleties of the plotting / character / colour scheme for an episode I HAVEN'T WATCHED YET !!

Since when did DW need so much exposure to be viewed as a success ?

(OK, I'll p!~~ off again now to mumble on about Spangles and Opal Fruits and white dog poo somewhere else)
    Bazinga !

I suppose that as DW Confidential is no longer an avenue for this sort of material to see the light of day then it has to appear somewhere...the difference being that you could actually choose whether to watch Confidential or not, you weren't likely to accidentally stumble onto it each time you switched on your tv like happens on Facebook...all these cookies which show that you like something means that you're continually faced with spoilers. Not only with DW but also sports results when you may have been planning on watching a game later only to be shown the final result at the top of your newsfeed as soon as you log on...

It's very easy to put a post up on social media, but for me the most plugged series was way back in 2005 where there were huge billboards everywhere! Torchwood got a similar campaign when I don't recall seeing many or any Doctor Who posters around since Eccleston.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I know what you mean, Jon, in that it seems Twitter each week has a spoiler-free (p)review, 'new photo', usually a Mr Moffat preview, etc for the episode coming on Saturday. It does seem a bit overkill-y, a bit like a kid saying "are we there yet" all the way during a car journey - the episode is coming on Saturday, surely we can wait until after that for folk to start banging on about it.

On the other hand, maybe that's how shows look to catch/increase an audience nowadays? I seemed to get quite a bit of this sort of pre-ep hype (again on Twitter) for the recent 'Line of Duty' series - and I know that EastEnders (this is on TV, mind) were advertising in a 'coming soon' sort of a way recently. Once upon a time, soaps would never do that.

An inevitable/necessary evil maybe?

I don't understand the comment "Since when did DW need so much exposure to be viewed as a success"? It's not the exposure that marks it out as a success, it's the number of people who watch and enjoy it, and in this world of millions of channels, box sets and Netflix, the only way to grab attention towards a 12 year old show is to give it lots of exposure on social media!

We ought to be glad that people are bothering to make preview videos, trailers and the like, as without them Doctor Who would slip under the radar of modern viewers flicking through Twitter and being bamboozled with other shows. Cut out this hype, and one year Jon, you might not have a season of Doctor Who to watch "when the nights draw in"...

Si.

Good points, Si & Andrew. Times are changing, aren't they? Not just in the way we watch tv these days but also the publicity aspect.

Frankly, I used to find the spoilers in the weekly tv mags more annoying as they often gave away major plot points/spoilers...probably this still occurs on FB etc but I seem to keep missing them!

Hi Si

No problem with promotion - the Next Time trailers pop up on FB, and don't give away anything ( although I find it interesting that I can't recall seeing a single trailer on the actual TV across any of BBC ). It's all the other stuff which, as I said, is not only often spoilery but appears less than 24 hours later. And I find it difficult to believe that a 30 sec vid clip of Michelle Gomez talking completely out of context would suddenly attract 12 year olds to DW.
    It's definitely my age - but it still means I don't like it.
    Bazinga !

I don't like it either as I try to stay spoiler free and don't always get the chance to watch it as it airs. I don't really do twitter but whilst a new series is on I unfollow all the official pages and news sites and things like that and to be honest I've barely seen any promotion for the show since doing that, so it's thankfully not been a problem.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."