View Poll Results: How Do You Rate The Eater of Lights?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Up the Scots!!

0 0%
  • Take the High Road

0 0%
  • You cannae take our Freedom

0 0%
  • Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous Beastie

3 50.00%
  • For auld lang syne

2 33.33%
  • Donald, where's yer troosers?

0 0%
  • We're not all Rob Roys you know

0 0%
  • Rebuild Hadrian's Wall right now!

1 16.67%
  • Legion of the Damned

0 0%
  • What have the Romans ever done for us?

0 0%

Default Rate and Discuss: The Eater of Lights

She's Back... and it's About, erm, Scotland!

A mere 16 years after she got Doctor Who cancelled, acclaimed-playwright Rona Munro returns to pen another story for another Scottish Doctor.

So, was it a HIT or a MISS?

Almost a miss for me. There were aspects I liked but lordy, some of the acting from the young barbarians and roman soldiers was pretty shocking. The script was often weak as well, with the dialogue from the soldiers feeling especially unrealistic. Missy's appearance at the end made me wish she'd been onboard for the whole episode as maybe then it might've been of interest but as it was I struggled to enjoy it, and damnit I was really trying! A very generous 6/10.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I was a little confused as to how Bill & the Romans were suddenly climbing a ladder into the hut where the Doctor was, I may have missed a bit of explanation there. Similarly, I wasn't sure why after generations had guarded the gateway one person at a time without incident they suddenly needed somebody there permanently (ie, the Doctor) or maybe they didn't they just needed a lot of people (ie, the end of the story).

I enjoyed it though for the most part, especially Nardole which I never expected to find myself saying. I don't really think it's very likely Chris Chibnall will want to start his era with an inherited companion, which is a shame because Pearl is excellent as Bill but hasn't yet, to my mind, really had a chance to shine.

One other moan, which is an unusual one nowadays, the CGI for the monster was I thought terrible. It was very effective as a glimpse of something in the dark, and those eerie blue tendrils, but when we actually saw it galloping up the hill and being poked at inside the pict it failed to convince.

So, the Picts all spoke with a Scottish accent and the invading Romans sounded, well, English. Hmm.

Nardole is way better than he was in The Husbands of River Song.

Watched it with a friend I hadn't saw for ages and of course we took the piss out of it!
    Didn't deserve the low ratings but that's scheduling for you. The biggest problem I had was the tunnel lead to the camp,but I didn't mind. We had an aggressive monster and how great was next week's trailer?

Not the very best, but not awful. Yes, the underground route to the village was convenient; I quite liked the CGI though. I will have to knock a point off though, for the bi soldier who called Bill "restricted". It's not the 21st century that the story's set in, I'd have expected her to slap him if he were straight, but at least welcome to the third century, lover!

6/10